Hi, my name is....

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hi, my name is....

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Well, Meowmy, perhaps not. Believe it or not, I've never done it intentionally either, but I have done it. Makes poor Ma crazy when a furbabe goes sour at the holidays when the V*t is unavailable. Like that time we had to go all the way to the emergency vet in the next town because Mean Kitty opened up my back leg from stem to stern. Man, Ma was in a state!

As for accidental limping, I know all about that. I think the first time was when I jumped down off the refrigerator. I was just a young kit then, and I'd made that leap before, but this time my front foot got wonky. Ma set me up a jumping off place next to the fridge after that because I was determined to get up there. I don't go up there any more, but I liked it up there -- high up and extra warm. That same foot gives me problems sometimes, even if I've just played too hard (and once after a nasty encounter with Mean Kitty) and my doc says I have the arthur-eyetiz in it now. But that's okay. Now that I'm an Elder Statescat, I take it as easy as I please, so all is well.

W cat
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi, Weezer. My Poor Kitteh Boy is still really sore. He's hardly eaten a morsel and I can't
tell if he's drinking any water. Still I'm taking him back so Dr. Izzy can check him again. The
whole thing is very worrisome. I've even rechecked his pads to make sure there is nothing in there
nor a cut. Any way he's snugged up in all the throws on the couch. As long as he's comfortable I don't
mind. Meowmy
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Antonio has a torn ACL. Dr. Izzy is going to talk to a surgeon after Christmas. He says
that they don't normally operate on cats for this. If the cat comes in a broken leg, then they
will do the repair. He gave some medication and said just watch him closely. Right now he's
camped out in the bedroom. I've made steps out of a pile of cookbooks so he can get on the
couch and I've been sleeping there to keep him company. He's eaten and used the litterbox. Meowmy
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Antonio wants to wish everybody a Purry Crispmouse. . He is till hurting but has eaten and
has something to drink. I've made him a bed under my breakfast table in the living room. I
found the old comforter that I had for Contessa, that's been folded up to make a nice padded nest.
I've also put a pillow next to the wall to make sure he stays comfortable. The place he is snugged up
in is next to an outside wall. The litter box is going to be a problem, he doesn't fit in a smaller one
and the one he has is too large for the living room.

Still we have had a pleasant Christmas. Hope y'all have had the same.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Healing blessings for Antonio. It sounds like you've made him as comfortable as possible. My niece-dog had the same, and the prescription was very limited movement for many weeks, but they did do the surgery first. Hoping y'all can find the right doc to do that, or explain why it shouldn't be done.

Quick internet search gave me this:

http://mysmartpuppy.com/cats/all-things-feline/cat-acl-tear

Weezer and I send our love and best hopes.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Thank you so much Suzzz and Weezer. I spent some time researching the topic and it's
mixed. Dr. Izzy, says he doesn't recommend it and my brother who has a JRT that had the
same problem doesn't recommend it. To be honest I'm not really game for it either.

I've posted some snaps to FB and Fif, I sent you one. Showing what I've done. I toy with the
idea of putting a sheet on the table like a cloth to make it more like a cave but he seems to happy
as it is. I'm still sleeping on the couch. Embarassed
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 pm

I've camped out with a furkid before, too, Sue. Not much fun, but it keeps them quiet, and that's the main thing. Do you have stairs to the bedroom? If not, and if this is going to be a long haul, you might consider packing away your bed for a month or so and putting your mattresses on the floor. At least you will sleep better!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:52 pm

No we are thankfully all on one floor. Right now Tonio is under the bed. I'm not happy about
it. It's really cold under there. If he's not out after I get back from feeding then I will try to weasel
him out. I carried him to the box tonight just to make sure. I'll also change out his water again.
I've seen him eat but only drank a little bit when I offered it to him.

That's an idea Suzzz but since he prefers to be under the breakfast table, I'll just stay on the couch
for a while. I'm getting used to it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm sure y'all will work it out what's best for both of you. Love from me and Weezer.

Edit: Had to come back and say this because it's bugging me. I gather from what you've said that Antonio likes it under the table, feels safe there. Please don't put a cloth over it! It might make a nice cave to our minds, but he obviously thinks the solid table is cave enough, plus he can see everything. AND, if he were to get onto the table, he might slide on the cloth and add to his hurt.

Sorry, darling, I don't seem to be able to stop giving advice. Embarassed I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:41 pm

You're right, I didn't think of that angle. I'll leave the cloth off
I was more worried about drafts from the back door when it's
opened. He's still under the bed Silly Kitteh Boy.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I did a bit of online searching too, and it's very similar to what my mom's knee did. The surgery definitely helped, and prevented her overusing the good one to the point of injuring it too.
Glad 'Tonio is eating now, but that knee will be bothersome whether he has surgery or not for months yet. Mattress on the floor is actually a good idea, so he won't have to jump or exert that leg to snuggle up with you. I imagine you don't have room for a lot of kitty ramps here and there so he won't have to jump at all to get to his favorite napping and lookout spots.

((((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Just catching up. OUCH!

If the vet/surgeon don't recommend surgery, I'd say they probably have good reasons. Could it be that kitties aren't good about their therapy, and once they feel better, they start thinking they can jump around? Twisted Evil I know that would be MY kitties.

Is there some kind of vetwrap thing that Dr. Izzy can do to help him while things settle and he recovers a bit? (If you need/want vetwrap, let me know. I have loads from Sabi, and he would want me to put it to good use.)

As for the litter box, we had to make Shadow a ramp. She also needed the bigger box, and when her back legs started to get weak, we made a ramp out of some plywood scrap and braced it in the corner. The litterbox slid out a bit so she could climb onto the ramp with a small step and then get into/out of the box easily. We only had to slide the box out about 10 inches, so it didn't take up too much more room.

Feel well for your new year, Tonio!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm

I can ask Dr. Izzy about that. It does sound like a good idea. Last night he
snugged in on the couch with me. He got up about daylight, had some kibble and
water then went back to his den/nest. He has come out now and is stretched out on the
living room floor. I think he is making his slow trek to the litter box. He doesn't like to be
carried and put in the box. Yesterday when I did it he hid under the bed. It's BLOODY cold
under there so I'll let him take his own time.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Anyway to move the litterbox a bit closer, to make his trek shorter? Just an idea.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:44 pm

His won't fit and he won't fit in a smaller. one When did make the trek today.
Then he went into the hallway for a while he's now back in his den/nest. I'm going to
continue sleeping on the couch for the time being that way if we wants to get up and
snug he doesn't have far to go and it's not as hard for him to get down. I've got all the
spaces he can crawl under blocked. It's so cold in those places.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 pm

This is simply going to be a long term healing process for Antonio, no way around it. Even if the docs decide he should have surgery, the resulting post-op home care would amount to the same. I think you're doing a great job keeping him safe and warm, and keeping him company. I love you

Weezer here: Just want say -- Tonio, cousin, you sure found the right Ma! cat
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:12 pm

I know, Suzzz, he was out and about earlier today. Went to the litter box, he's eaten
and had something to drink. I took your advice and decided not to put a cloth over the
table. Antonio seems comfortable and content.. I should take a snap of the nest I've
made for myself on the couch. Meowmy

Hi, Weezer. I'm dictating this from my nest/den. My leg is still really sore. Thank you for
your kind words about Meowmy. I love her so much Smitten Tonio cat
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:55 pm

You certainly lucked out getting your meowmy 'Tonio......just like I did when I found mine.....Bij Hope your leg gets better soon, spring will be here before too long in your neck of the woods. Take it easy cousin.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Wish we could see both nests here, Sue!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Tonio, lots of beans get torn ACLs. It hurts like crazy, but they get better. Do rest up tho. It's winter, so perfect time for extra snugging and resting! When I hurt my leg, I rested for about 3 months. I felt lots better after that, although my meowmy doesn't let me get into too much trouble even if I want to have adventures. Rolling Eyes

Petie
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Thank you Petie. I love my den/nest. I can make it to my litter box
You're right about being a good time for resting and snugging. Tonio
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:20 am

Not only that 'Tonio, but it's an excellent time to milk it for all it's worth and get extra treats and petting! Bij
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Bij, Meowmy has been so attentive. Still I miss snugging with her on
the couch. Tonio
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Can she gently pick you up to snuggle on the couch? Just remember to ask her to set you down again, don't jump down, when you need to leave for snacks or a potty break. I bet she'd do that for you cousin.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 am

Just a quick update on Antonio. He is still using his den/nest but is coming
out to nap in the sunspots when we have them. The weather has been dodgy
at best here. I tried to get him to stay with me on the couch for a while tonight
but he would have none of it. Speaking of couches, I'm still sleeping on mine. He
does get up and move around the apartment a bit but he's still very lame. Poor
Precious Kitteh Boy.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top