I'm safe in Oslo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm safe in Oslo

Post by Lotiel on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi guys!
I know I haven't been here much, but I just wanted you all to know that I am safe and sound, and so is my family and all my friends, as far as I know.
Love, Tone
Lotiel
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

http://journal.lotiel.org

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm safe in Oslo

Post by BobCat on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Thank goodness! I'm glad you checked in, Tone, and am so sorry to hear the tragic news. Prayers go out to all in Oslo.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 pm

I have been thinking about of late Lotiel. It is tragic of what happened, especially to the kids.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Glad you checked in dear heart. I knew there was someone in here that was in that
part of the world. Glad you are safe and sound and prayers for all of those who effected by
the horrible events.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:52 pm

all i saw a one line mention in the scroll at the bottom of the news screen....so i'd appreciate more info. a fb friend said something about the person who did the shooting was dressed as a cop and that the kids thought they were safe when they saw a cop coming to them.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Norway's a big country and I had no reason to think you were hurt, but my thoughts flew to you at once, dear Tone. Bless you for checking in here! My heart just breaks at this terrible, senseless tragedy.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotiel on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 am

jeanebellini wrote:all i saw a one line mention in the scroll at the bottom of the news screen....so i'd appreciate more info. a fb friend said something about the person who did the shooting was dressed as a cop and that the kids thought they were safe when they saw a cop coming to them.

I'll try to give a brief summary. I know that news sites have articles, but I haven't read any recent ones.

First, at 4:30 pm Friday, a car bomb went off at the buildings where our government has its offices. The department for oil and energy was hardest hit. Eventually seven people died. Windows shattered a kilometer away from the bomb. My office is only 1.5 kilometers away.

Then, about an hour or so later, the terrorist turned up at the Labor Party Youth League summer camp. He had a police uniform and police ID. He then started shooting people. He hunted them for 1-1.5 hours. They tried to hide or swim away from the island, and he still shot them. At least 85 people have died. No one I knew directly, but people I know of, maybe have spoken to once or twice, are missing.

This is a bigger proportion of the country's population than died in the 9/11 attacks.

The terrorist is a right-wing extremists. He was opposed to immigration, muslims and the policy of multiculture, which the Labor Party supports. The police have charged him, and he has admitted what he has done. They are, as far as I know, searching for accomplices.
Lotiel
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 am

Oh, Tone. I'm so glad you checked in and you and your family are safe. As soon as I heard about the tragedy I thought of you but as I don't have a computer at home had no way to email you, soI was so happy to hear that you have checked it,
Tou always thinkg, even if the chance is remote that it May affect your friend/aquaintance . in your case, luckily it was not you or your family, but still, some people who you did know or knew of.

My heart goes out to the families of those who died or were injured in this senseless tragedy. And it goes to show that you cannot put a lable on terror, or terrorists.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotiel on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:48 am

Thank you all for your kind words.

Yes, you cannot put a lable on terrorists, other than terrorist. Please remember that that is what he is.
Lotiel
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm

please keep us posted, Tone. it is all over the newspapers here. Such horrible scenes
One of the reporters mentioned that one the first anniversary of 9/11 the people of Norway lit candles as a memorial for each of the people who died on 9/11, in the same quare where the bomb just went off in Oslo, and he was hoping that the people of New York would remember this and light candles in Memorial for the people who dies in Oslo and on the island.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotiel on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm back from the city, where 150 000 people showed up with roses to honor the dead. (Oslo has a population of about 500 000, so that's a lot.) One of the most touching things I have ever done. Beautiful, beautiful, I cried a lot.

The terrorist is now detained for 8 weeks. He has gotten a complete ban on visits, outside contact and access to the media, and full isolation for four weeks.
Lotiel
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 pm

i'd only heard the part about him going into the camp (andonly found out it was a camp and not just a place where there were a lot of kids) didn't hear about the car bomb! that sounds a lot like Oklahoma City so many years ago. thanks for giving more info Tone. i saw om the news there's one norweigian (or it is swedish? only heard it once)church in NYC and people have been putting flowers and tributes in front of it and lighting candles inside.
i think i'll bring out one of my candles for a few days in remembrance.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 pm

I saw the march on the news. It was poingont.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:19 am

The Norwegian Sailor's Church on 52nd st in manhattan. They held a special memorial service on Sunday and so many more people showed up than do usually.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Thank heavens! I was worried about you when I heard about that attack.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum