Any July 4 plans

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any July 4 plans

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

My parents and I are going to a baseball game Monday night. Following the game, there will be a brief fireworks show at the stadium that will be followed by another fireworks show off of one of the buildings downtown. The ballpark is downtown, so we will be able to see the second fireworks show.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Any July 4 plans

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 pm

working til 2:00 that day.....maybe i'll buy some ice cream and a good bottle of root beer and make myself a root beer float;) (I think this weekend...or maybe just for the 4th...the store is having something with ice cream and pepsi (every summer we seem to have a deal where the Pepsi is on sale for like 25 or 50 a bottle and sometimes ice cream sandwiches are buy one get one or 25cents or something......i usually treat myself then....or rather, since i won't be able to cash my check until the middle of next week..if i have the spare money to spend!).

our store will be open normal hours on the holiday...supposedly there are fireworks you can see from the mall parking lot and people fill the parkinglot all night to see them. so who knows how that will work for the store. they normally close around 6:00 0r 7:00.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Just more cleaning/purging to get ready for inspection on the 6th.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm

nothing special planned for the day, and the library will probably be closed on Saturday and sunday as well.

My friends and I were thinking of going into the City and visiting the High Line, a really neat park built on an elevated rail freight line on the west side., but the weather is going to be iffy so we have put it off. I'll just play things by ear.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Taking off Friday and Tuesday to make it a little "staycation." No real plans, however, we will probably attend the local fireworks display. I loves me some fireworks!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 pm

i've seen pics of that elevated park...but don't know where it is! let me know if you go what its like...i'd like to check it out sometime. (actually, there might be some people from the pug group i'm in getting together in NYC and that might be something they could do).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:15 pm

it runs from Ganzevort street and 10th ave in the meatpacking district (near 14th street and goes uptown to 30th street and 11 avenue . Right now it is terminating just 4 blocks south of the javits center at 34th street. The last bit which they are still negotiating on will wind around the rail yards and end right across the street from javits

I will probably just go on the roof and watch fireworks going off all over the place on the 4th. When i was a kid the macys fireworks were set off on barges in the east river uptown across from Gracie mansion (the mayors house) in Manhattan and Astoria Park in Queens. We lived in Astoria so would go down to the water and watch the display.
When I was older they moved it downtown either in the harbor or the Hudson river. I went once to see the fireworks across from Brooklyn heights promenade, but these days I don't like the crowds or the travelling on the subway alone at night.
They also have fireworks at Coney Island.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:58 pm

oh if it goes around javits i bet its really nice..you must be able to look out over the water.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Nothing special here. Fluff, I think I've been by that park. It's really a nice park and if I'm not
mistaken very close to downtown. My late cousin lived in Indianapolis. She passed last spring.
I wished I had been able to visit when I was there.

LK, I've seen snaps and have been reading about it. It's drawing mixed reviews. Still it's green
space that is badly needed. I think that there is more advantages than disadvantages.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:11 pm

I haven't seen anything negative about the High Line. I've been a member of Friends of the High Line before it was a park, when it was just an old abandoned elevated freight line track and the park was just being conceived.
It currently stops at 30th street jeane, the curve around to 34th street and Javits is the last phase, but there are lots of places you can see glimpses of the Hudson River. i think there is one point where you can actually see both the east River and the Hidson River.

Plans still up in the air. I guess I'll just play it by ear. I may just sleep all weekend. LOl
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 pm

if i stay off the net and get my act together i might bake some cookies tonight (I got fresh eggs a few days ago) and bring them in for the 4th. i thought/think we might have something at work on the 4th...i know i've HEARD they were going to have a barbeque sometime but don't know when. it WOULD make sense to have it on the 4th for those of us who have to work...but who knows.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:05 pm

I do like the baseball park. I would describe the location of the park at the edge of downtown. It faces all the tall buildings that are in downtown. We can see the second fireworks show without leaving the ballpark.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:22 pm

I hope everyone has a good 4th! I won't be online again until Tuesday.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:06 pm

i swear somebody was doing fireworks really close by here last night...and i mean regular fireworks not the illegal kids in the woods type stuff. it might have been the fire dept cuz there is one less than a mile from here. it was realllllllllllyyyyy loud i'm surprised the dogs weren't freaking out and only Cartier flew up into the ceiling down here.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:22 pm

My town cancelled fireworks this year, just couldn't justify fitting it into the budget. Disappointing, but way better than cutting back on services people depend on year-round. A no-brainer, really. Ours is a minor bruise compared to the really tough decisions being made by local and state governments all over the country.

Personally, I am simply enjoying 3 days off and doing Not Much! Very Happy In the most patriotic manner, of course. Wink
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 pm

welp, my 4th might be on the 5th....someone sent me the first season of the newest Doctor Who and i've vowed to finally sit down and enjoy it.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Sounds like fun to me. I may grill out and go see some fireworks.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:35 pm

i'll probably be drinkin some root beer floats when i'm watching the dvds. i'm not eating much chippy type things lately so that will be my treat for the 4th. (have to find where i put my glass mug).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Right now I'm well into my nibble, nap and read agenda. Fireworks later.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm

This has been the quietest July 4th ever. Not one pop or fizz or anything so far. Getting the grill ready, will have the neighbors over for a barbecue, and then fireworks tonight.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:40 pm

the only thing i could see going on special around here is that we're selling Pepsi and some ice cream 'treats' at the store for 25cents. even the grocery store doesn't have really good deals UNLESS you want to buy 8 of something or 4 of something. sorry, i don't need and can't schlep 4 2 lt bottles of pop nor do i ever need big bags of chips if i have to buy 8 to get them for $2 a bag..esh!
our town had the fireworks on Fri so there wont' be that noise and i hope the idiot kids who set off stuff in the woods next to us have grown up and moved away!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:43 pm

We had a magnificent thunderstorm here tonight, and since our local fireworks had to be cancelled due to budget cuts, at least Ma Nature gave us a show! cheers

Blessings:
1. The town fireworks would have been rained out tonight anyway
2. We're in a drought, so the rain was MOST welcome to everybody's plants, yards and crops
3. The local kids' sparklers and bottle rockets (no stopping those!) will fall to wet earth so no fire fears

Hope everybody had a great day!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:53 pm

You know anything supplied by Mother Nature is definetly going
to be awesome. Glad you got some rain. We hard up for it too.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Our fireworks were on Sunday night, so mom and I missed them (we didn't find out until we heard the finale going off). Very quiet otherwise, even the neighborhood kids didn't set off a lot to keep me up half the night. Must not have been able to afford to buy them this year. I know the official display was shortened due to budget cuts.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:20 pm

I lazed about all weekend- didn't even leave the hosue Sunday (which rained all day) and Monday.
had glimpses of the fireworks going off all around brooklyn from my window, and heard them from dusk till about 10:30 lots of bangs and whizzes.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum