MEMORIAL DAY

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MEMORIAL DAY

Post by lovekitties on Mon May 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Is anyone doing anything special?
I'm usually in Michigan but for the first time in 24 years I won't be going. Don't know what I'll be doing. I was too late to get into Book Expo. It's Fleet week in NYC, I usually miss it so this year I'll probably do some of it
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: MEMORIAL DAY

Post by jeanebellini on Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm

i'll know when they put the schedule up...but i usually work all the holidays so i'm sure i'll be at work. don't get anything extra for working the holidays but since i never have anything to do or anywhere to go who cares.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon May 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Lovekitties, did you go to Michigan to do something special for Memorial Day or just visiting over the 3-day weekend? Either way, I'm very sorry you can't go this year. 24 years is a long tradition to break. I know you must be unhappy about it.

I'm sorry, too, that you have to work, Jeane. I know it's good to get the hours and all, and I know retail is like that, and every poor soul the rest of us see behind the counter at the weekend "sales" or at the grocery store is in the same boat, but still.

I'll have Monday off, and believe me, I'll enjoy having a 3 day weekend. I'll read, do laundry, maybe visit the folks, and read. Did I say read twice? Lol! Now I've said it a third time! Let me say it again. I'm gonna kick back and READ!

I'll also go to the grocery store in hopes of seeing the old gents who usually set up a table outside. They're so sweet. They take donations and give you a red paper poppy. That's a symbol from WWI and, old as they are, I don't think they could have been in that war. I think it must be their fathers or some such. I'll also send my prayers for the soldiers who have fought and died for us in so many, too many wars. And for all those still out there on the line. That's what Memorial Day is about. I will not be going to the sales. However good for the economy it may be, it seems disrespectful to me somehow.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 pm

LK has been going to a sort of convention (i'm sure she'll let us know what is it....i know it has something to do with fans and fanzines etc)in MI.....the friend she goes with isn't able to do this year so she can't. I wish i had a car cuz i would take the weekend off and gone with her (and visited my relatives).

as for working in retail on a holiday i always remember a Retail strip from a couple years ago....the lady (Marla?) is visiting her mom for a holiday and her mom says she wants to go shopping. Marla says she refuses to go because she's protesting or something.l basically, she won't go and give money believing that if nobody went to the stores and shopped then the people who are forced to work when everyone else is off having fun would get the days off in the future because the store would be losing money. (I know that's a long way around it buti think you know what i'm getting at).

are the guys with the flowers VFW (they have the poppies that are sort of a circle with a little thing in the middle) or American Legion (they have the poppies that have multiple petals and are crepe paper (if they still make them with those).My mom used to stand in front of stores with those for decades until she just couldn't stand for very long. I used to be one of the people who opened the cannisters and counted the money. (gawd, i think i started being a money counter pretty early!).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 pm

I've always associated poppies with Vetern's Day. Something from a poem about
'...in Flanders fields" Any I used to love the Memorial Day parades and bands. Now it's all
hustle and bustle.

I'm with you Jeane. I'm not so good about not shopping on other holidays but I
really dig my heals in at Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm

The only think we have planned here is taking stuff to the storage garage........mom's been told "we're remodeling the bathrooms soon"..........whatever that means. In HUD terms that can mean anything from in two days or six months.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 pm

yes, I usually go to a fan convention in Lansing over Memorial day weekend. I get to see friends there I only see once a year, and there are lots of activities going on. Oh, well, next year we'll be going again.

lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 pm

sue the poem goes like this ...in Flanders Fields the poppies grow between the crosses row on row. that's all i can remember but iknow i had to memorize part of it in school.
one of the things we used to do with the poppies (my great aunt used to make them for decades, but after she died i think mom and i made them for a while)were these wreaths. two of them every year were tossed into the river that ran through the middle of my home town. it was part of the parade on Memorial day. ....you went to the parade, you went to the cemetary where they had the speeches and things and then you went to the legion where they had the big chicken barbeque (which was really a smoker i learned later).l Damn i would give two days of work to go back home and do that again...i'd probably eat two chicken dinners (they hard 'guarter' and 'half' ones)and get an extra one for later! i wonder if they even still do it. man...i can smell it and taste it even now and i haven't had one since about 5 yrs before i left home (never went after mom couldn't go and dad wouldn't bring any home for us).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 pm

I remember things like that from when I lived in Illinois. I also remember when Memorial Day was
celebrated as Decoration Day. I can remember it being a one day holiday on I think the 31st. Still I remember
family picnics with fried chicken, potato salad, deviled eggs all sorts of good things.

Jeane, thanks for posting the poem.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm

The Brooklyn Historic Soceiety yesterday posted a photo of the Memorial day parade from 1897. (every thurdays they send a vintage photo from their collection to people on their email list. I didn't know this but the Brooklyn Memorial day parade is the oldest continuously running Memorial Day parade in the country. It started before Brooklyn became a part of NYC, when they were a city on their own.

still undecided as to what I'm going to do, if anything. maybe go to the Museum of the American Indian
or maybe go out to Coney Island for the official opening of the summer season. Eat a hot dog at Nathans. See if the little craft store is still on Stillwell ave. walk on the boardwalk and maybe go to the aquarium or walk on the beach and beachcomb (nan it'll be too crowded to beach comb, unless I go really early in the morning. Maybe walk the boardwalk from Coney to Brighton Beach and have some russian food.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 pm

ooo russian food...what kinda russian food? the only thing i can think of is borscht!

i remember decoration day ...because you went and decorated the headstones/plots where there were veterans with little flags...you decorated your house with flags and pinwheels (esp if you were in town) and you decorated your bike or little red wagon with crepe paper and other red white and blue stuff! and yesh....it was on a day not just always on Monday. (i can't remember when this Mon holiday stuff started but it had to have something to with yuppies in offices and greedy business owners!).

and sue.....(doing my 'daddy Homer' impression here) ....devilled eggs..........hm...why is there no drooly smiley?? Gawd i miss devilled eggs and egg salad!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Drooly smile is right. I need to make some next weekend for dinner next weekend.
Today was quiet, I puttered, napped and puttered some more. Tonio helped me nap. in fact I
may have napped to much. Read and was just generally shiftless.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon May 30, 2011 8:30 pm

today was one of those holidays when we work but they don't do anything special for us because we're there instead of enjoying ourselves. i got an extra hour's work cuz there were a lot of people there shopping cuz THEY were real human beings and there were few good worker bees in the store. after work i didn't go to TJ's because i didn't want ot be part of the reason those folks had to work on the holiday but i did go to the regular grocery store and got only things i really needed like toilet paper and cat food.
the only thing so far to make the day 'special' is that i bought some newman's own grape juice that's on sale cheapy cheap and the kitties got a little wet Meow Mix instead of just wet friskies.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue May 31, 2011 5:44 pm

I spent the weekend being lazy. I found out that the library was closed on Saturday and Sunday as well as Monday. when I walked over there on Saturday., so I went home and read all afternoon. For some reason on Sunday I coul not stay awake and I was dosing off all day and night, Yesterday (memorial Day) I lazed again. it was too hot to do much, and the trains were screwed up so I couldn't go to Coney. Well, I could have taken a bus to another train to go to Coney, but didn't have the energy.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue May 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Lazy sounds just fine, Sue. I think you needed a break, and I'm glad you took it. Hoo, I shouldn't have crowed earlier about my own lazy plans! Not that I did much, but my A/C crapped out on Sunday and the kids and I spent 2 days sweltering in the 90's until the holiday was over and we could get it fixed today.

I did manage to remember that our service men and women have, and are, enduring much worse. Helped put my little problem into perspective. As our "world leaders" sort out what's to be done around the globe, let's never forget our brothers and sisters on the ground, past and present, at home or "over there."
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

My weekend was anything but lazy. I spent Saturday: going through videotapes to thin them out, did 2 batches of laundry, and a bit of boxing up at mom's before our pizza and movie. Sunday: grocery store early, shower, watch my chickadee babies fly away from the nest (I miss them), help mom box up even more stuff for the garage and haul it all on foot, regular housework too. Monday: up early to get a newspaper, breakfast, then cleaned out and rearranged 3 cupboards, sorted out my silverware and cleaned and washed out those drawers, wash down the cupboards and the floor, combed and vacuumed my rugs, cleaned the bathroom, showered again, then went to mom's to finally relax.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm

all the things I shgould have been doing, LOL, but just don't have the energy to tackle.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:26 pm

yep suzzzz as hot as it is here its probably hotter out there in the uniforms in the sun. i know i'm dying from the heat walking home and complain about it but at least i'm not forced to wear long pants,heavy boots etc!

i worked the weekend..it was just another weekend for me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Mad scratch
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat May 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Is upon us again.............no special plans here for the holiday. Too hot and humid to go anywhere and who could afford it anyway? Might have a special dinner though. Have Monday off and no library access either so will be suffering from Mutts withdrawal.......

Might as well sort another closet out........my landlady postponed my inspection to "sometime Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday."
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon May 28, 2012 10:51 am

Same here, Fif, just puttering around. Set outside earlier and had coffee with the Wild Bunch.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 am

We don't have any big plans either. We had to buy a new fridge on Saturday, so we're broke again for a little while. They'll deliver the new one next Saturday. Had my mom and brother over on Saturday because we figured today might be too hot for her. We'll cook some brats on the grill later on.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon May 28, 2012 12:01 pm

I saw that on your blog, sounds like you got a great deal on it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon May 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Sue Short wrote:

I saw that on your blog, sounds like you got a great deal on it.

Thanks. Refrigerators are SO expensive - and the French door ones ran higher than I would have wanted to go, so I feel like we got a great deal too. And no more crashing shelves!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon May 28, 2012 8:40 pm

An uneventful 3 day weekend for me; took the extra day to catch up on some neglected chores, but mostly read and hung out with Weezer (her version of reading all afternoon is sleeping all afternoon). Did not, however, forget why I had a holiday, and said my thanks and sent my prayers. I see no reason not to celebrate life on Memorial Day; perhaps we even owe it. But I also think we should remember how we got here.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 pm

I tried to call my grandpa, to thank him for his service in WWII, but he wasn't home.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum