WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER FONDLY/MISS FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD?

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER FONDLY/MISS FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD?

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Yeah, and my sis' place has the basement, attic, garage, and shed packed............and the last time we tried to use her place for a rummage sale she overwhelmed the place with her stuff for sale. Mom and I didn't get a thing, in fact, what did sell my sis kept the money! And we got stuck paying for half of the ad. Mom plans on us having a sale of our own next year in the garage she's currently putting stuff into.......half of it I would deem unnecessary crap. How many empty plastic jugs do you need to make iced tea in? I keep making the half-joking comment of taking a backhoe to the place.......... she keeps saying but I paid X for this. Does she not realize she isn't going to get that amount out of it if she sells it, IF anyone wants to buy it in the first place? No way would it amount to enough to get a newer car.

I've decided to use the stuff I have, no more "saving it for good". So the nice glasses with the kitties painted on them are being used, the old aluminum tumblers from the 50's: ditto. Same with my dishes I've had for 32 years, the silverware.............if I don't use it, need it, or love it why have it taking up space?

I miss the days of being able to get something out of her closet without having to move a ton of other stuff to get to it. When I was a kid the place was so clean, uncluttered, and organized people envied us. I also miss the old wooden starburst clock we had for over 25 years on ONE battery. When that battery finally quit, it wouldn't run on another battery.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 pm

why not start before the garage is packed full and have a sale this year?
as for the jugs...if they're not pitchers made for cold drinks i 'd say just flat out pitch 'em and spend the money to buy one good pitcher. they're not too expensive...bet you could find one at the dollar store;) (i just found a fridge door size one i bought years ago....when things were moved gawd know when, it got hidden away and i didn't see if until i was looking behind the fridge!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 pm

She has way too many things going on with renovations to have a sale this year. We both have to be there so somebody is there when the other needs to use the bathroom. And it's way too hot to even think about having it now.............it was supposed to happen in May this year but didn't.

Right now I'm saving money not running the fans by staying away from home as much as possible. I soak up the AC at the library or mom's as many hours a day as possible.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Over the weekend, I started to remember how much time my brother and I spent outside playing with the next door neighbor's two youngest kids. Our boundaries were each other backyards and the entire street we lived on. Now, the kids have electronics in their hands all the time and most likely little to no time playing outside for most kids.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:03 pm

they have those in their hands no matter where they go....walking down the street and in the stores so absorbed they don't hear when their parents are screaming at them. but then again, their parents have their cell phones plugged into their heads yapping away....so you know what the kids are going to grow into.
i love when people have kids who actually say please and thank you and the parents buy stuff to actually play outside or board games that are just plain ol board games that don't even need batteries:)

fluff,i didn't have anyone to play with other than my 'critters' but i remember having the entire yard, the garden, the chicken coop and even the ditch down the road to play in. in the winter there would be mountains of snow drifts i'd climb and i'd make a hide out in a snow cave in the ditch;) i read inside and out though....i read a lot as a kid and wrote a lot as a kid.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:36 pm

I only had a few kids from the neighbors to play with when I was younger. I was the classic late bloomer.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:17 pm

At times, there were at least one or two other kids that moved into the neighborhood that I played with at times. Other than that, it was the neighbor's two youngest kids that my brother and I played with on a regular basis. We even had a computer and we still played outside.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:10 pm

I read so much as a kid my mom used to tell me to quit and go play outside with the other kids. There weren't many my age though. I miss playing in the sprinklers............if I did that now I'd get hauled off to the loony bin!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:54 pm

naw you just have to put up a lawn chair, put on your bathing suit and sit under one of those sprinklers that go back and forth...the you'll get sprinkled but you don't have to run around under it.
we never had a sprinkler as a kid....when you live in the country with a well and cistern you don't waste water esp in the summer! i do remember having one of those hard plastic blue pools for about two summers.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Uh, I don't have a bathing suit anymore. And the ones I see in the store these days leave a lot to be desired in the coverage department.

Anybody ever go tadpole hunting? We had an abandoned shallow gravel pit by the grade school, which was only about 3 blocks from home, and we kids would go to play in the playground there during the summer. One year that pit filled up with water from all the spring rain, some shrubbery grew around one edge of it, and we noticed lil things swimming in there. Turned out to be tadpoles, which are harder to catch than you'd think. Cute lil things though. Mom wouldn't let me keep mine and made me put it back where I got it (I had it in a plastic cup-just held it still long enough underwater that the lil tadpole just swam into it). I wanted to watch it turn into a frog.......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 pm

I vaguely remember going to the airport to watch airplanes land and take off. There were designated parking areas where you could park at and watch. Since airport security was nowhere near like it is today, we did go near the gates and watched planes approaching the gates and any other activity that we could see.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

you know that reminds me that a couple roads over there was a little private airport...mostly just crop dusters used it but there were a couple doctors or other 'rich' people who had their own little planes. there wasn't anywhere to park around there but there were times we'd ride our bikes over there to watch and they were so close to my great grandma's house you could see them go off across the road (yep they took off and lifted off not too far from where the road started!).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:06 pm

I miss being able to cross about a half-block's worth of woods to go visit the horses at the farmette on the other side.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:08 pm

I miss my Magic Window. I had it forever and probably accidentally left it behind during a move a while back.

I still do have my Lite-Brite in its original box (made in the U.S.A!!!) from 1973. There's my Simon (still in box) from the '80's and I have one remaining original Weeble Wobble (it's a dog). I had a whole Webble Wobble family and they had a camping trailer and pick up truck and a motorcycle. I do still have the motorcycle, I think and the dog. My original Little People are still with me, too, along with the set of baby furniture they have.

I do miss my Magic Window, though. That was a pretty neat, and simple, toy.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:53 pm

i had to look that up..Magic Window...i couldn't remember it. i was thinking something like the 'magic mirror' that they used in romper room!
they're making them...i don't know if its the same co or not, but here's a link to the site i found (with a guy doing a demo...the voice over is horrible (they guy certainly doesn't sound excited about it!)! but here's the site...
http://www.magicwindows.org/
it looks like something that would be good as almost a meditation type thing!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Now that I could look it up, I remember seeing those when I was a kid. Never had one myself.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 pm

I know those. I didn't know the name for them. Several companies make similar items. I see then all the time at the gift shows I go to
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 pm

i remember seeing things like that that were liquid that went back and forth sort of tipping like it was a boat on the ocean. (It was one of those things they used to have at Spensers)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am

It did occur to me in the past few weeks is that I do miss some of the computer games we had when my brother and I were kids. The earliest computer I remember was a Commodore 64.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone remember playing Pong on an Atari?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:23 pm

fiffur wrote:Anyone remember playing Pong on an Atari?

I sure do! It was way cool for its time.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 pm

So do I. BC is right.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:05 pm

I also remember the first home computers...........they were so big and clunky compared to even a desktop from today, much less a laptop.
Who'd have thought they'd change so much in only a few decades?

Remember rotary phones that only came in basic black?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sat May 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Uhhh, rotary phones? Whatever that phone looks like, I grew up with phones that had the individual buttons for the numbers.

Anyway, the one game show that I did enjoy watching as a kid was called Press Your Luck. I don't know if anyone here has heard of that show.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat May 12, 2012 8:30 pm

I don't remember Press Your Luck. I'm more the Password generation.

Those phones with the buttons were a huge breakthrough, I do remember that. Before that we had to dial the number using a big wheel. It took forever! Think Wheel of Fortune -- you had to spin the wheel for every single digit of the phone number you were calling. Made you long for the days of Sarah (a la Andy Griffith) who got your party for you but expected small talk first, and probably listened after. tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum