WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER FONDLY/MISS FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD?

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER FONDLY/MISS FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD?

Post by lovekitties on Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm

i was thinking about this last night. You know how I love beads, well I was suddenly thinking about a beaded woventrivet my mother used to have. The beads were glass, and just smaller than the plastic pony beads you see today. They were blue and cream andhad a soft luster to them. I loved that trivet. Even then I was fascinated by beads, I guess. I wonder whatever became of it. I think the trivet was fraying and several beads were lost, so maybe it was just thrown away. I really wish I had those beads now.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER FONDLY/MISS FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD?

Post by fiffur on Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 pm

I bet if she'd had all the beads you could fix it now. Do you have an old picture of it somewhere? Maybe you can make on like it if you do.......

I used to have a little stuffed leopard that I got when we went to the Brookfield Zoo. My mom made me sell it at our first garage sale when I was 12...............I sure wish I still had that lil leopard. I remember it had a small jinglebell inside the end of the tail.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed May 18, 2011 5:18 pm

no pictures, and I cant actually remember the pattern, only the look and feel of the beads. I haven't seen any beads like them. , but we are talking about an object that has to be 60 years old or more. LOL

I still have a little stuffed duck with a red kerchief that I got one year for easter. I called it Quackerbox. It's around somewhere.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm

For some reason, I think I had at least one Popple. Supposedly, there is at least one box in my parents attic that is full of stuffed animals. There have been more than one occasion I have thought about asking for that box to be brought down to look through it.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 pm

My Mom was caring enough to save some of my childhood treasures for me. I have my ancient Tiny Tears and (much more important) my large yellow stuffed dog with the floppy legs and ears who was my first confidant. My Mom kept them for me for 40 years, and I rediscovered them about 10 years ago when my parents cleaned house before moving to their retirement village. I was never one much for baby dolls, but it was good to see Tiny Tears again. Doggie I fell on and wept! TT has a comfortable place on my shelf of stuffies, but Doggie is once again part of my life. He holds my good scarves in my dressing area and I ask him for fashion advice when I can't decide what to wear to work. I can't tell you how comforting it is to see him every day.

Fluff, if your treasures are safe, be content. But don't wait so long to speak up and claim them that they go missing.

My only regret: I wish I still had my Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent! I loved that guy! I could curl him around my neck as a reading pillow. What a good friend he was.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I still have my Lost N Found lion that I got for Christams in 1989 when I was six years old. I named him Oscar. He is very cute.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 am

This past Christmas, I almost asked my dad about bringing the box down as I was helping him with getting tree ornaments out of the attic. I hate to for him to make a trip to the attic when it isn't necessary. I still have my doll I got for Christmas when I was six years old. I took that doll everywhere. When I broke my ankle when I was seven, my mom put a 'cast' on my doll's ankle.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 pm

My mom did save my first doll for me, it still has the original dress though it is faded and the color turned over the years. My grandma saved a blowup scubaman doll for decades before she gave it to me. I also have my original rubber duckie. Very Happy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu May 19, 2011 5:59 pm

I have my original gerber bay doll. I saved that myself, along with some other of my childhood stuff. Got gerber in 1954 from some babyfood lablels (my siste was the baby). Of all the dolls I had since then I loved gerber the most, and have a collection of gerber dolls and advertizing memoribilia because of her. The body finally wore out and disintigrrated but my mon found a similar size doll and stuck the gerber head on it.
I also have a small stuffed steiff cat, and a pull toy steiff dachshund, although my steiff teddy did not make it.
I gave away most of my dolls, and could kick myself for it now, when I started collecting dolls as an adult. Gone are Shirley temple, one of the early bubble cut hair barbies, the revlon doll, and Tiny Tears.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu May 19, 2011 6:32 pm

lk you can get the bubble cut barbie in a...what do they call it? a remake? whatever its called. we sell it a the store and i have feeling its been marked down. (I keep a look out for one that is exactly like my first barbie...or my first skipper. i'd reallly like to have a new skipper like my first one...she had strawberry blond hair)
i've gotten to the point where it something has been brought back and i really have wanted it since i was a kid i'll buy the one brought back out. but so far nothing has come out that way. (waiting for Velvet and Chrissie etc to come back out; ) )

I have the Pooh i got when i was 5 (and i can still remember exactly how i got him)even though he's kinda hard cuz he went to the dry cleaners (cat had 'sprayed' him when he fell between the wall and the bed when i was in HS)the cleaners didn't know how to clean stuffed animals back then. but he's still with me and has gone with me EVERYWHERE:) Every place i've lived, college, even went with me when i first came to NYC for a visit and stayed the night in the first hotel i ever stayed in!
I have Mr Grabbit the stuffed rabbit i got when i was maybe 6 (don't have the book that i got first...he wasn't part of the book, but he looked like the bunny in the book. Mr Grabbit was my easter bunny that year).Don't know what is still in the storage room back in MI.i think my sister stole a lot of my stuff when i was moving it cuz she wouldn't let anyone see what she had in the trunk of the car.

jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu May 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I had a gerber doll and hated it. It's no longer with me.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu May 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Oh, no! Lol! Ya know, everyone's treasures are special to them because of who we were at the time and what was happening in our lives. One woman's treasure is another woman's meh. I wish you still had your Gerber, Fluff. I'll bet Lovekitties would give her a good home!

When you're ready, Fluff, you can go up to the attic yourself and find your box. You can ask your Dad's advice about where to find it, but spare him the trip. Sounds like you have your most special doll with you already.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri May 20, 2011 1:21 pm

I had one doll that when I was a kid (can't remember the name of it), my parents found out in the newspaper that it was a fire hazard. The company told everyone countrywide to burn them if they had one. Back then you didn't get your money back, and there were no recalls, just warnings. I still remember that burning barrel with my doll in it going up in flames.............I must have been maybe 7 or 8 at the time.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri May 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Suzzzz wrote:My only regret: I wish I still had my Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent! I loved that guy! I could curl him around my neck as a reading pillow. What a good friend he was.

I had a Cecil too! I loved him! I had forgotten all about him until one day a couple of years back when I stumbled upon one on Ebay and it was all I could do not to bid on him so I could have him around again...

Last edited by BobCat on Sat May 21, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri May 20, 2011 5:43 pm

gave a way gerber, Fluf????????? sacrilege. LOL
I've got many gerber dolls now, including an intect one of the same model I originally had, as well as many different ones that have come out at various times., but the original is still my favorite. I'always think, if Ive got to get out fast in a disaster I'd scoop her up. and take her

Jeane, I don't really want another Bubble cut barbie. Just wish I hadn't given away the original which would be worth some money now.

I remember those Cecils, though I never had one.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 pm

i don't remember the cecil but i remember the cartoon and i remember lusting after a beanie that an older kid had that we used to go visit.

who had a gumby and pokey? i remember going to get my first Gumby....tell the kids in kindergarten that my parents were picking me up that Fri (I guess after they cashed a paycheck and we were going to buy groceries) and i was going to get a Gumby. he probably cost a whole 50 cents back then. I used to get these little clothes for him later on...they hooked onto him by poking a hole in his little gumby body. the only pieces i remember really staying on were the hats (how could they not stick onto that ^ on his head?) and i think the gun belt for the cowboy outfit.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Are the Cabbage Patch dolls still being made? I remember having at least one of those and I may have got rid of it.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon May 23, 2011 5:36 pm

I remember Gumby and Pokey. I think my brother had them

They are still making cabbage patch kids. I remembe when they were such a craze people used to fight over them. my siste had one. The only really collectible ones are the original hand made ones, before they got popular and became mass produced. The originals were signed by the creator.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

i'm not 100% if we still have the big ones but last i looked we had the small ones. they always creeped the crap out of me. but cabbage patch are still out there on the shelves and they tend to sell better at Christmas.
before the store i work for became what it is it used to be another toy store called child's or children's world. it was before i ever came to even visit up here so i never saw it. but the folks upstairs tell how they had to go this certain window at the store and get a ticket then go to another part of the store where someone was standing with boxes of the dolls and just handed you the next one of the box., you couldn;t ask for a color or whatever. but then the people would go out to the parking lot and switch out to get what they wanted.
the guy who created the dolls made bears too...my mom was into collecting teddy bears at one time and she had a few of those. i'm supposed to have those in my storage unit (if a certain relative whose name shall not be mentioned didn't steal them).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri May 27, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm a pack rat and a sentamentalist and saved alot of stuff after my mom died and my dad remarried .
so I haf things like the old Red riding hood cuckoo clock, and the dirndls my sister and I had when we were kids. also lots of tablecloths and aprons my mom had embroiderd, and doilies she made. and christmas ornaments So later my sister was really grateful I'd saved all this stuff. She now collects red riding hood stuff so I sent her the cuckoo clock, and the dirndls went to her when her kids were of an age to wear them. i sent out a package of the tablecloths to my sister and brother also. still ahve alot of stuff.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm

that's really good AND very kind...to send your sister stuff you know she likes and would really appreciate;) (I have a sister who is holding my senior pictures as well as other things hostage..esh!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 pm

I remember Care Bears. I may have had one, but don't remember. I know I had some My Little Pony.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm

i only had one care bear...because of my mom's collection. but later when they came out again and burger king had the little keychain ones in their 'happy meals' i think i got the full set;) the little ones were just the right size;)
geez, they've been away for a few years its about time they came back again! (Smurfs were back a few years ago and you can still find a few here and there...anyone here have a Smurf or two?...i had two;) but i'd rather have the kitty now!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 pm

I think there is or will be a Smurfs movie. I do remember the cartoon.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm

yeah..its one of those things that i can't remember if its out or not....did it come out and leave the theaters really fast? naw...i do think its going to be one of those summer movies.
i like my smurfs are those flat little cartoons!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum