Slumber...

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slumber...

Post by mockingbird on Sat May 14, 2011 1:04 am

Oh, dear Mutties. Things have been pretty rough for us lately.
Among many other things is this newest development...

Our little rattie, Slumber (the cream-colored one with garnet eyes) has pneumonia. With ratties, once it gets to pneumonia, it's pretty much a toss-up if they will survive or not. She is on two different antibiotics (powerful ones) and is quarantined away from the other ratties for 2 weeks. That's a long, long time to be without her Rattyton mates. Ratties don't do good without other ratties, so I hope that doesn't hurt her too badly. We just can't run the risk of her making anyone else sick. This is pretty dire, actually.

I took her in today to Savannah's PetsMart where we bought our ratties in September. They are about the only vets in Savannah who will take care of "pocket pets" as they are called. While we were waiting (and waiting and waiting) Slumber captured all the other folks' hearts who were waiting with us. They all commented on how gentle and sweet she is (I had her in a little pink shoebox with airholes cut out, but she was so lethargic that she slept in my hands almost the whole time we waited (almost 3 hours.) She is a very laid-back rattie, but not quite that much.

The vet said with ratties, because they are so small, this sort of thing moves very fast with them. I knew that from my research about them. She said the antibiotics "may or may not work". Slumber could easily die from her pneumonia. I feel so incredibly bad, dear friends. I have had such a week (more about that another post) and wasn't as attentive as I usually am. I didn't even notice she was in trouble until she wouldn't even touch food this morning. Highly unusual for a rattie. It has been a couple of days she wasn't doing good, but I didn't know it. She's lost weight (when you are only 2.6 grams, every ounce counts!) and is having very labored breath. The doctor suggested I use a cool-mist humidifier for her. I didn't have one, so I ran to the drug store to get one. All of them are large, human size, however I found the perfect rattie humidifier. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards and the water tank is a plastic water bottle. I can only use it about 10-20 minutes at a time for her because she cannot get too chilly.

She is having to be fed and given water with a syringe. I was able to get a mixture of oatmeal and water down her gullet. She also ate a little bit of boiled egg (her favorite!) tonight. At least she has some food and water in her for now.

Poor little thing. I just feel so badly.
I will be sharing the other stuff soon. I just didn't want you to think I forgot about all of you.
In fact, when the doctor gave us the sad news, I thought "My Mutties friends must be told this!"
Please say prayers or send energy or whatever you do to help connect with the Divine.
We all need them, but especially our dear little slumber.

Thank you.
I will keeo you posted, but please, do send your prayers for out little one tongiht.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Slumber...

Post by WarriorNY on Sat May 14, 2011 8:22 am

Poor little Slumber.

((((VIBES))))
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Sat May 14, 2011 11:36 am

From both Jim and Tat : (((((((((VIBES))))))))))
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat May 14, 2011 11:57 am

If you can keep her eating, hydrated, and taking the meds, as well as resting as much as possible, Slumber might pull through yet. I know I've had pneumonia in the past several times, and it sometimes fills up your lungs with mucus and fluid, making it hard to breathe. The meds take care of that but take at least a few days to really start making a difference. Make sure you keep her company as much as you can, so she won't get lonely and give up. Maybe put the isolation cage near enough to the other one so she can see her friends?

We always used aquariums for our "pocket pets", it cuts down dramatically on drafts that can make them sick. Also don't handle them when you have a cold, it progresses to pneumonia when the lil guys catch it from us. And wash, wash, wash those hands. Did you change all the bedding and wash everything in the main cage? Just to be safe?

(((((((((((((((((((((((VERY STRONG HEALING VIBES FOR SLUMBER)))))))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat May 14, 2011 9:06 pm

You and little Slumber have my heart and prayers, Mockingbird.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat May 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Yes, fiffur, I am doing all that and more. Thank you for the advice, though.
When they get pneumonia, it is almost a death sentence, it seems. I have read pages and pages and pages of ratty care sites and even the vet said the prognosis was very grave. Their little lungs don't even hold half a thimble of air or fluid, so any fluid is too much and that's why it moves so quickly from an upper respiratory infection to pneumonia.

I have asthma and I have a nebulizer, so she's getting nebulizer treatments 3 times a day. I looked it up and all the ratty care sites say it's fine to do that. She is very good about laying there and letting the mist envelope her, basically. She is also having her little humidifier during the day, but I have to turn it off at night because it could chill her.

I was so scared to look into the cage this morning and I don't think I'll be any more brave about it tomorrow. Crying or Very sad
She's such a sweet little ratty...I just hate this. At least Joshua comes home from his week in South Carolina tomorrow. I don't want to be alone with this any longer than I have to be. He knows what's going on. I wasn't going to tell him, but he called last night and I said "Hello?" and he said "What's the matter?" Well, call me an open book, I guess. I did much better on being less obvious when he was in Iraq. I think I'm just worn out with all the other stuff on top of the Slumber emergency.

She's eaten some banana and some boiled chicken today. Last night she had a little bit of boiled egg and a little bit of apple. She still isn't drinking, so I have to hand-feed her water, which isn't fun at all. The only thing she will take willingly from the syringe is the oatmeal/water mixture. She had quite a bit of that today.

I may have not heard the doctor right on her weight yesterday. I thought she said grams but I think I was mistaken on how many grams she is. What I do know (having weighed her in a ratty basket on our food scale) is that she weighs 9 and 3/4 ounces today. I wrote it down on the calendar and also when I'm to give her the meds. Too many other things on my brain, I don't want to forget to give her medicine and treatments.

I just am struggling with that this is my fault for not noticing it sooner. I have been so preoccupied with other things lately, that I didn't notice poor little Slumber until almost too late. My mother says even if I was right there looking at her, I might not have noticed until she was really showing symptoms. I have looked online and sites say that rats don't show signs of illness because it is a sign of weakness in the wild and I guess our lab rats (which all pet rats are, basically) still have that instinct. *sigh* I just feel so awful.

Well, it's time for her last nebulizer treatment for the night. Here are a couple of pictures of the ratties in happier times, just a couple of weeks ago.

Again, Slumber is the cream-check self (her official type of ratty.)

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Mockingbird, I just caught up with this thread. I am so sorry to hear the
news. I will keep you and slumber in my thoughts and prayers.
Love to you all and (((((((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 am

I apologize, dear Mutties. Thank you to ALL who have posted or have offered a prayer or some kind of good anything for us. I only addressed fiffur before. Thank you to all of you dear folk who care about us and our little furries.

Well, she's still with us. She was looking rather perky this morning, sitting out of her house, grooming herself. I had to give her a new little house as her tissue box house was soggy from the humidity (humidifier.) I made a little house out of a shoe box that has a kind of glossy finish to it. I think that may make it a bit more resistant to getting damp.

She's still not breathing comfortably, but not struggling as much as she was yesterday. Between the nebulizer treatments, the humidifier and the meds, I hope she does recover. She still isn't eating or drinking on her own. However, I weighed her and she weighs about as much as she did on an empty tummy yesterday. Yay for oatmeal and boiled eggs!

Yesterday, Rattyton was extremely quiet. The other rats did not stir at all, almost all day long. I checked on them and no one seems sick. I think they are all just sad. Right now, Slumber is on the kitchen table and they are in the living room. I don't have a spot to put her closer, but I did take Raya with me to get the Rattyton food last night. Slumber say her and perked up. This was a fiffur suggestion and I had already planned on having them where they can see each other at least, but it was such an emergency situation, that I didn't have a lot of time to set up anything closer to them. I don't have any tables or any place in the living room for her to be and she has to be around an outlet for her humidifier. Maybe Joshua can help me figure something out.

I will keep you posted. Two weeks is such a long time for her to be away from everyone else. Crying or Very sad
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks for the update. Glad it was good news and that Slumber was perkier this
morning and that she is maintaining her weight.

(((((((((((MORE HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm

so sorry i didn't see this the other day! i'm back in contact with my friend in Vegas who raises and trains rats (chincillas ..however you spell it)...all sorts of things. if you ever want me to ask her something let me know. she's very nice and has been working with rodents for years.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun May 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Hoo, keeping them apart will be hard for everyone. I hate when we have to do these things that must seem so cruel to our babes, without being able to explain. Head cones, pilling, quarentine... surely they know we love them, but they must think we've gone temporarily insane. I'm glad you took Raya in for a long distance visit with Slumber. That sweet girl & all of you remain in my prayers. May the hopeful signs continue.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 pm

i've had a candle lit all day today for her...candles,prayers and good thoughts from me and the rescue kitties...we don't care how small the critter is;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am

*am moving my reply so dear Mutties will be aware of the updated news.*

Last edited by mockingbird on Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue May 17, 2011 8:54 am

Keeping her in my thoughts.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 am

Thank you all, dear friends. Thank you, Jeane, for the candle and thoughts. Thank you all for your concern and caring.

Yesterday we had a big scare, twice. While giving her the meds, Slumber started really laboring very much for breath. Her little pink hands and feet started to turn blue! It was awful. I quick gave her a breathing treatment with my own asthma nebulizer and she recovered. She did this again while taking a bit of oatmeal and water with an oral syringe later. Again, the breating treatment. We ended up taking Slumber to the other vet in town who cares for pocket pets yesterday. The first one basically gave us the meds and sent us home. Not even a "good luck". The other vet, yesterday's, was too wonderful for words. She gave Slumber oxygen, an injection of fluids as rattie was dehydrated, and she took X-rays. She showed us that our little girl is far more sick than we knew. Where her lungs are should have been grey, we could see nothing but white, which means the fluid is all around the outside of her lungs. Only a tiny little half a dime-sized part of one lung is grey. That's all she has to breathe with. Her trachea was curved, not mostly straight the way it should be, which leads the doctor to believe she has an enlarged heart. She said she probably has a congenital heart disease. Nothing can be done about that. She gave us more meds, stronger doses, and combined them all into one bottle so we only have to fill one syringe, rather than fiddle with two or more. She also gave her Lasix.

She cannot be with the other ratties until she is sneeze-free for 3 days in a row, we're hoping for Friday, if she's still with us. We are taking the other ratties for long-distance visits so they can all see each other. She said basically feed her whatever she'll eat, as she is thin. She also gave us her card and said she would meet us after-hours if we needed her.

We were cared for as well as Slumber yesterday. While it does not look good at all, our little girl is still with us and we will give her all the care and love we can. The whole staff was so kind, all of them rattie owners. They all fell in love with our little Slumber. All the care she gave she didn't even charge us for. All she charged for was the office visit and the meds. It didn't even total $50, which we greatly appreciated. We know she isn't in it for the money. She also has a wonderful state-of-the-art hospital. We were given the grand tour as well.

We found the vet for our ratties. We will still take everyone else to the vet here in town (the other vet is in Savannah) but it's good to know we have a wonderful back-up vet, should we need her for everybody. She also takes care of wildlife at no charge.

She said she was going to call and check on Slumber today. So far, our little girl is still with us. We have discussed with the doctor and with each other our end-of-life plan for Slumber, if she continues to have the blue episodes and ever seems in pain. Right now, she is still happy to be here, poor little thing, and is doing the best she can. We are trying to view time the way they do...right now, this moment, no cares for tomorrow.

Right now, this moment, our little Slumber is with us.

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 am

What can I say but "Be hopeful - but keep trying your best - BEST VIBES FOR SLUMBER "

Jim and Tatiana
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm

though i don't like the pronosis....it do like that you've found someone who really does care. i'm keeping the candles lit for ya.....i bought some extra white ones last month and they last a good long time.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 pm

If the infection is outside her lungs rather than in she has pleuresy, which is no fun either. I've had that too. (white on xrays usually means thick pus, not fluid) If Slumber was doing a little better the meds may finally be kicking in, but there's a lot to be said for the will to live too. Isolation isn't good for that with a lil critter who's such a social butterfly in fur. Slumber perking up like she did when you brought one of her lil friends within view shows that. Is there any way to maybe run an extension cord from an outlet so you can put the cages closer together, and still be able to run the nebulizer? Just seeing her friends, and maybe talking long distance to them, may be what helps Slumber fight to live long enough to be cured. If she's having trouble breathing while taking in meds or food, she needs to take a few breaths between swallows so she won't turn blue again. That's cyanosis, lack of oxygen, showing up. We peoples show it in our lips and fingernails first. It's going to take quite a bit to pull Slumber through this, but I know you will do your utmost best to do that.

Your other vet sounds wonderful BTW. I'd be more inclined to make her my ratty vet from now on, as she sounds much more experienced and caring about pocket pets. Was there any way for that vet to drain some of the built-up fluid from her lungs? I know it would be very hard on someone so small, but that's what docs do for we peoples when our lungs are so full of fluid we can't breathe. Lasix helps the body to get rid of it by peeing it out. When Hazel had her heart attack, her lungs were 90% full of fluid by the time we talked her into going to the ER. IV Lasix really helped her a lot, and she pulled through.

(((((((((((((((((((((((VERY STRONG HEALING VIBES AND PRAYERS)))))))))))))))))))))))))) for Slumber and for you too Elizabeth.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri May 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Amazingly, our little Slumber has recovered!
She is eating on her own, drinking on her own, is full of energy and no longer is making any noises when she breathes. We didn't even bother contacting the first vet, but the second one is even amazed that she is doing so well.

She's been on antibiotics for a week now and the second vet said she can be introduced back into the pack today! She is no longer sneezing and we think she is ready.

Thank you all for your kindess and concern. We know that most likely, she does have a heart problem, but there isn't anything to be done for that. We just want her to be able to live her little rattie life to the fullest, however long she has.

What a difference I'm feeling in just a week! As sad and heartbroken as I was then, that is how happy I am now. We will still keep an eye on her (and everyone!) and if there are any concerns, we are to take her to the vet at Rice Hope (second vet). For now, though, we are so happy to be at this point with her.

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri May 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Wonderful news! Keep us posted on Slumber.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri May 20, 2011 6:22 pm

I will, Bobcat.

We will also continue her med-mix until it runs out. Thankfully she LOVES her meds! Very Happy
We don't want any relapses.

I think it will be a happy moment when she is back where she should be. She is literally bouncing off the hospital cage's walls. We are going out tonight, so we will reintroduce her to the pack when we return.

Yay! Happy day!!!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri May 20, 2011 8:34 pm

i said a prayer before i opened this tonight. i'm soooo happy its good news! i can only imagine how she'll be when she gets back into the cage with the rest of her friends;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri May 20, 2011 8:43 pm

This is almost miraculous news! Elizabeth, I'm so happy for you and Slumber and for all her little family that will welcome her home. Glad tidings indeed!!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 pm

What good news for Slumber!! cheers
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down