The Beast of Thurnham

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Beast of Thurnham

Post by Bob on Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 am

Some years ago Helen told us about a large black creature roaming about the countryside up here at Thurnham. It was reputed to be a panther.
Beryl and I took her story to be local gossip and didn't really believe.
Well to quote the Monkees 'I'm a believer'.
Just this morning I saw a large black animal a field away from the house and running across one of the other fields. At first I thought it was a black Labrador (they have a couple at the farm across the way) but then it stopped and I realised that the tail was much too long to belong to a Lab and it's whole stance was that of a cat. It must have stood nearly two feet tall at the shoulder, I could guage this from the gate it was standing by. I compared the height of the crossbar to a similar gate in the paddock (and with the aid of a tape measure I saw I was right). It definitely wasn't one of the farm cats as they don't reach nearly far up the gate as this did.
Incredible as it seems I do believe that there really is a Beast of Thurnham.
I'm keeping my camera at the ready if I've seen it once I hope to see it again.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Re: The Beast of Thurnham

Post by fiffur on Wed May 04, 2011 12:12 pm

OhMy...........make sure that camera is always at the ready! I've heard about this cat too. Maybe someone's illegal to have pet that got too big, so they turned it loose? Size sounds about right for a full grown male panther...females are half to two-thirds of his size.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Wow! A panther in England! Shocked
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed May 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Is this the same beast?
http://kentbigcats.blogspot.com/2010/12/beast-of-blue-bell-hill-becomes-147th.html
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed May 04, 2011 5:48 pm

a few years ago they had sightings of a big cat in the wilds of New Jersey

maybe it's Jim Ellison's spirit animal
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed May 04, 2011 8:39 pm

yeah i remember the reports around here. i figure here it might just be Salem's dad.....he's a pretty big ol' puss;)

hope you get some pics,Bob..i'd sure like to see it! maybe you could do a drawing of what you saw! I have a friend here in NJ who actually fabricates life size versions of such things...he even was a part of a show that was on i believe the National Geographic channel a few years back with the Jersey Devil he created;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Holy cow! (Or is that cat/wild pig/badger?) I would have run like crazy if I had seen something like that. I hope you can get pictures to show us this mystery beast, but I hope you stay safe. Who knows what kind of wild thing that is?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 am

gbste wrote:Is this the same beast?
http://kentbigcats.blogspot.com/2010/12/beast-of-blue-bell-hill-becomes-147th.html

Well Kent is in the south of England and we're in the north, but it does sound very like the same sort of critter.

About a month ago there were reports of a lynx being sighted. I suspect that this was an excuse to kill off a few badgers (which get blamed for the spread of TB among cattle. In spite of there being no definite proof). I imagine a couple of the farmers pretending to be shocked and saying 'honest I didn't know it was a badger I thought it was a lynx'.

As to saying safe, it was a field away from me and running from left to right. I suspect that with my girls and the four Golden Retrievers scent about the place that no self respecting cat (no matter how big) would come near the place.

Interesting idea about drawing it. Hmmmm. Must get pencil.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:51 pm

any more sightings of the Beast?

We had our own sightings in Greenwich CT. turned out to be a mountain Lion. I mentioned it in Urban wwildlife
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm

yeah i've been waiting for the drawing of this creature!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I somehow missed this post. Any follow-up, Bob? Any big cat rescue nearby that might have missed a resident? Any total nutter nearby that might be harboring inappropriate pets?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 pm

There was a similar story on NPR yesterday. Somebody saw a mountain lion in Greenwich, CT. Eastern mountain lions have supposedly been extinct for many years. Hmmm...
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 am

Maybe it's from the west, and thought east might be more hospitable territory. Gotta admit, there's a lot less competition from other lions.........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm

it was a mountain lion and unfortunately it ean afoul of a truck or car and was killed. Authorities are saying it was probably an escaped exotic pet. However there were more sightings AFTER the poor things death. deddedede
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm

maybe some idiot who was 'collecting' exotic animals couldn't handle them anymore and just dumped them out somewhere. i can see it showing up at csi ny!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:25 am

Coyotes have worked their way east, and now we have them near my house at the east-est point of the Southeast. I wouldn't be surprised if mountain lions are scoping territory since lots of the mountain areas are being used for ski resorts and getaway homes. We're going to have to learn to share "our" areas with the animals if we keep moving into their areas. And, of course, there ARE idiots who buy a cute "kitten" and then let it loose when they discover that it is big enough to think that the kids look like a good snack.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:05 pm

there was a guy on the Pet Stop (gawd,i use that and Dr Oz for too many reference points!).....he had made a movie i believe is called The Elephant in the Livingroom. the movie is all about how easy it is for people to obtain these animals and what is done for or to them. he told the story about a friend who was (I believe) a fireman who had to go into a house to get some poisonous snake out. the guy was bit and they used all the antivenum to try to save him. then the man who made the movie had to go in and get the snake,thankfullly without getting bit because there was nothing there to even try to save him.
its a very scary business....esp how easily and cheaply they can get these animals!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 am

I'm sorry for the beast's sad ending. Wow, that was something, though, wasn't it? I have heard of other people having the large cats and then when they grow up (how can that be a surprise?!) they just don't know what to do with them. There is a reason they are called wild animals. Having a mini-tiger is enough for me, let alone a big one!

This was a very interesting thread, Bob.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 pm

lovekitties wrote:it was a mountain lion and unfortunately it ean afoul of a truck or car and was killed. Authorities are saying it was probably an escaped exotic pet. However there were more sightings AFTER the poor things death. deddedede

well, as noted in Urban wildlife, the poor mountain lion who was killed had travelled all the way from South dakota.

and this morning I heard on the news that there were more signtings so it looks as if there is another mountain lion in the greenwich, CT area. I wonder if it is the mate of the one who was killed. Crying or Very sad
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum