Xavier is coming!

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Xavier is coming!

Post by bpaquet on Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

I just heard from the vet. X is doing well and was a good boy for his shots. The coolest thing is that the foster home had a shot clinic set up, so I didn't have to pay for a special farm call for his shots. Now, all we have to do is wait for his paperwork to be done, and he can get on the trailer for his ride to my house. Very Happy
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu May 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Becky, that is great news. I had all sorts of nasty scenarios set up in my
head. Glad he is in a better foster home and is doing well.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu May 19, 2011 6:42 pm

will he still have to be in quaranteen when he gets to your house?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 pm

I'll keep him in "semiquarantine" for a few days. It's good to make sure he didn't catch anything on his trip. Horse trailers can be like airplanes. Germs can just linger there. Every time I fly, I get a cold. So, I want to make sure he didn't catch anything on his travels. He will need to be in a pasture by himself for a few days anyway. Sniffing over the fence and squealing at each other without being able to fight is the best way to introduce horses. My guys don't normally fight, but there's no reason to tempt fate.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu May 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Where's the danged smilie for a happy dance??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 pm

HOORAY! XAVIER'S FINALLY COMING HOME SOON! cheers cheers cheers
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat May 21, 2011 9:47 am

I'll talk to the rescue lady next week to see what's up with the transport. I'm sure she's found somebody, but I just don't know the timing and how to pay. Details details!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon May 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Is the waiting simply the hardest thing to do?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am

Yes! I hope to hear from the rescue lady soon on the transport. I want to move him before that rotten EVH-1 outbreak gets farther south/east. I don't think he's in any danger of being exposed, but I'd rather not have to deal with it. Rotten, rotten luck for those people and horses out west.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes, I just read about that outbreak. I was hoping X would get home before he manages to get exposed too. Are there shots to prevent that? scratch

I was so sad when I heard on tv that several horses have died from it, all because they were at the same show ring. I've also heard that several races were cancelled to keep it from spreading. Simply awful.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Well... The adoption lady got pictures of poor X. Apparently, the first foster place did BAD things. The poor horse is about 200 pounds underweight and has rain rot. Rain rot is a fungus that makes their skin peel. He is now in a nice big stall with free choice hay to gain some weight and the new foster lady has shaved his legs and is giving him antibiotic scrubs to keep things from getting infected. Poor poor pony!

Needless to say, his arrival is delayed for a few weeks until he can get a little better. I don't mind taking care of him and finishing up his treatments. Needless to say, I'll be feeding him up and letting him graze all he wants. But, I don't think it's good to put a skinny horse on a trailer. His immune system will be down and he will probably lose some weight from travel stress. So, he stays where he is until he improves some.

Sigh... This is quite an adventure. I think I have bad luck.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Poor X...I am so glad that soon he will have a good home with you.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 pm

oh gawd...how can anybody do that to a creature? if you're not going to take care of and gawd...FEED! a poor horse than don't go into fostering. i hope that woman is put on a list to never be able to take another animal of any kind again, taken to court and made for pay for her cruelty!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Jeane, I bet the rescue group is moving heaven and earth to
get the rest of their horses out of there. That's smart Becky not to
try to ship him while he's down. Underweight isn't two bad but then again
Arabs do not have a lot of spare weight either. Getting him built back up is a smart
move.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Once the rescue ponies are all out of there, they plan to bring cruelty charges. I hope the ones left there are moved or (better yet) adopted soon. I really don't care much for prosecution, but this is the first time I've had first hand experience with any of it. Frustrating, sad... I am hoping for the best.

I am almost wondering if I should ask to see the bad X pictures. I want to but then again, I don't.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 pm

No, you don't want to see the bad snaps. As prosecution, I think that's smart move.
Painful but smart, this will stop them signing up with another equine rescue. Without filing
charges they would be open for libel if the blacklisted with groups.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 pm

I took in a rescue dog once (my beloved little Ursa, before my time here on these boards) and after she had been with me for a few weeks I was offered the opportunity to know all about what she had been through. I thought about it and declined. I knew enough, in a general sort of way, to know she'd had a very bad time and I admit I'll duck a horror if I can. But, oddly enough, my refusal was not to spare myself the pain. I refused because by that time she and I had started a new life together and she seemed so happy and relieved to be out of that nightmare and safe at home with me. Our focus was on the present and future, not the past. I refused because I was afraid that, if I had graphic images in my head, they would always be there between us whenever I looked at her. She would never be free of them because she would always see them in my eyes. If anything they'd had to tell me could have helped me care for her, I'da looked. I asked specifically if that were so. It wasn't, so I didn't look.

Just saying, in a very long-winded way, that there's no reason to pile pain upon pain when it serves no purpose and might even get in the way. This is a time for care, recovery, hope and practicality. All that really matters is to give Xavier time to get well enough to move, then bring him home. Save those snaps for the prosecution.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu May 26, 2011 11:32 pm

AMEN!!!!
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri May 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Poor Xavier! I am so glad he's out of that so-called foster home and into a good one. I'm sure they'll work wonders to get him back up to normal weight and get the rain rot treated. Best to let him stay where he is until he's healthy enough for the trip. Will the new fosterer give you updates on how he's doing, and an estimate of when he'll be good to travel?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks Sue and Suzzzz for sharing stories with me. I think you're right. I shouldn't ask to see the pictures. It will just cause more trouble in my brain.

The estimate for shipping X is the 3rd week of June. He won't be back to normal weight, but he will definitely be on the way and probably have enough strength built up to be able to travel for a couple days. His rain rot should definitely be gone in that time, so even though he will have funny-looking bare legs, he won't have the fungus any more. He'll probably spend the summer looking a little ragged, but if all goes well, he should be fat, happy and shiny by winter.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 pm

hmmm....maybe we need to design some leg warmers for him! nothing to 'warm' maybe someting soft and lightweight and cotton like tee shirt material?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm

Jeane, in this case being barelegged is the best. Third week of June is not too bad hopefully by
the time he gets home his weight will be almost normal.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat May 28, 2011 9:20 am

The only thing I really think about is the bugs. I might need to buy a fly sheet and some leg covers made of the same thing. We'll see how things go when he gets here. I hate to waste money on fly sheets that always get destroyed over the summer, so if he can do without, he will just be naked. It's another wait and see thing I guess.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat May 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Too bad he can't wear thin tights like little girls do. Keeps the skin covered but not too warm, keeps bare naked skin from getting sunburned and the bugs off. Xavier's a light color and with no hair that skin might sunburn a lot easier than the rest of him would.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Actually, gray horses have black skin just like brown horses do. The problem with rain rot is that the air needs to get to the skin to keep things dry. Any covering encourages sweat, so the cloth will be wet, and the rain rot could come back. He might end up spending time in front of fans. I can set up some box fans at leg level in the pasture so they can walk by and get some relief. So far, (knock wood!) our fly problem isn't too bad. If I keep using the natural fly predators and feed-through fly control, we might be ok.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum