Xavier is coming!

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Xavier is coming!

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 am

We'll see... September is a good goal. Late September is usually when our weather starts to break. Right now, I can't imagine going anywhere. It's just sweltering. I think today feels a little better, but it's hard to tell. Yesterday was 102 actual degrees.

X is out in the new pasture this morning. It also has trees so they can get out of the high sun. I do think they're more comfortable outside than in the barn. It just feels more still in there even with the fans running. The hot weather seems to have created some HUGE mosquitoes. I smacked one on X's side. It was the size of a small bird. Ugh. Suspect
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:24 am

OMG, prehistoric pteradactyl skeeters! Shocked
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:08 pm

They're crazy. You can hear them buzzing from miles away.

X has let me know that he doesn't mind being touched all over. I was doing a tick check on all the guys tonight. I check under tails and in between back legs. He just stood munching his hay while I felt around to be sure no nasties were hiding in dark places. Everyone was good -- relief. It's one thing to check for ticks between legs. It's another to get the icky things off. Suspect

The heat is supposed to break tonight. So far, there's no sign of it. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be a cool 95 degrees. I suppose that's better than today's 105, but ugh. I'm over the heat wave. X is too. He loves his fan.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Great to hear the boys have no ticks. My tick woes have gone way down with this heat, but you live in a wetter place than me, and my dog doesn't wander in the fields like the ponies do. Also happy to hear X will let you check him all over like that, a good sign that he's open to full body exams by you or the vet. It might be that, after all he's been through, he's simply resigned to humans doing what they do, but I suspect it's more that he's a sweet, accepting soul.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:16 pm

He's definitely accepted that Becky will not hurt him and will let her do whatever, not sure about the vet until he actually comes to visit and touch him all over. Glad no ticks were found, they're nasty buggers.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm

He's met the vet. He had his teeth done during his first week here and he got some shots. He's a sweetie for the vet and farrier. He's just coming into his own. His personality is starting to come out. He talks and just LOVES Sabi. That makes me so happy. He and Sabi are almost inseparable. It's so cute to see Sabi follow X in for a shower. I hook up X and put Sabi's lead rope over his back. I go to the hose and Sabi just follows at his own pace. It works well because X gets the hands on time he needs and Sabi can make his own way however he can be most comfortable. Yippee!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Becky, what wonderful news. Who would have thought they would have bonded so quickly.
They talk to each other?????? How wonderful, it really is fun when ponies talk to each other.
Too bad you can't get a video of them chatting.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm

stupid question...but do ticks not like the heat?(you said that you don't worry about ticks so much when its hot) i don't know if they like heat or not..just know they light high grass. just wondering about the heat!
and i agree,i'd like to see and hear the horses chatting;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am

I am so overjoyed that X and Sabi have bonded so well so quickly. Better than you'd hoped for? Sounds like you really picked THE right buddy for Sabi. How is Envoy with X?

I would also love to hear ponies chatting with each other.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

I, too, love hearing that Sabi and X have become such good friends! X really needed someone. And how kind of Sabi! I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't ever have the phone with me when they're talking. That's about the only video camera I have. I'm too cheap to buy a real video camera. But, the talking is just random, so I never know when they'll do it.

X and Envoy get along well enough. Envoy bosses X around, but X is happy just to get out of the way. I think Envoy is happy just not to be at the bottom of the pile any more. He isn't mean to X. He just puts his head up and marches in front of him. It's actually funny.

I was looking at X today. He's looking like a horse and not a skeleton. Yippeeee!!! Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 pm

That is a very mellow group you've got there Becky. Glad to hear that X is looking good.
Amazing what a little dental work, good grub and TLC will do.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:04 pm

bpaquet wrote:I was looking at X today. He's looking like a horse and not a skeleton. Yippeeee!!! Smile

You're making my day here, Becky!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Me too! I'd love to see a pic.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:29 pm

I think somebody at some point hit X. I was using my longe whip (long whip used to train horses from the ground) to guide them out of the stalls after dinner. I was asking them to go to the back, and I let them walk out with no halters. I use the whip to guide them to the back and to block the aisle in case they want to turn around. So when they got to the outside I took the whip with me to shut the gate. X saw it and positively scooted away as if he was afraid he would get beat. I put the whip down, petted him and then picked up the whip. He looked a little scared. I petted him with it and told him he was a good boy. He accepted that. I will need to teach him that whips are not to be feared. They are tools, NOT punishment. Poor guy.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:36 pm

the sad thing is that some folks don't see them as tools. its like a person who is afraid of brooms because they got beat over the back with one repeatedly as a kid. but i think you're doing right showing him slowly that your whip means no harm.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad A POX ON WHO EVER DID THAT!!!!!Along with the rest of their house.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm

I second that emotion Sue!

I'm so glad you were able to show X that you only use that whip as a tool, not a punishment, Becky. I have a feeling he'll be quite skittish around it for a long time though, poor boy. He is a smart pony though and already knows you would never hurt him, otherwise when you picked up the whip again he'd have run off.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Well... If that's his only thing, it's ok. Sabi is still terrified of plastic bags and he hasn't been chased around with one in over 15 years. Oh well... I just make sure that the only time he sees plastic bags is when they're full of watermelon rinds. For some reason, THOSE bags aren't scary. If X stays scared of whips, I'll just have to figure out a different tool to use with him. But, he seems to be a reasonable guy. I'm sure we'll figure things out.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 pm

If you can find a copy of Podasky(sp) Training of the Horse and Rider he has some great pointers
on how to get a horse to overcome whip aversion. I swear in a former life the man was a horse.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm

I have that book. Smile You're right. Definitely nothing wrong with the classics. They are classics for a reason!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Training-Principles-Classical-Horsemanship/dp/0879802359/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

From reviews:

While reading this book it occured to me that of all the years I have spent with horses and all the trainers I have watched work, none have ever been as thorough or "filled in all the holes" with the basics as Podhajsky. Only when one truly understands the "basics" of horsemanship can they teach it to the horse no matter what discipline of riding they do. This book is a benefit to anyone who wants to develop their relationship with their horse!

EDIT: Ha! Too late! Sorry, Becky, told you something you already know. cat
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Watermelon filled plastic bags.................hmmmmm.................must be those bags aren't scary because they come bearing treats!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Yesh. Treats never hurt, and the fact that I'm holding the bag and it isn't blowing in all crazy directions making scary crackly noise helps a lot.

I got some really nice compliments on how X is looking today. He's definitely starting to fill out and look handsome, and a couple people driving by said he looks really. The guy who was working on our house the day he showed up said he looks like a different horse. It's almost time to start fussing over his hair. He still has some evidence of rain rot on his back, and I can start to really work on his grooming now that I can put some muscle into brushing. I think he might be getting enough padding up there to be able to deal with a good stiff brush. Smile

Pix soon -- I promise.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: