Xavier is coming!

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Xavier is coming!

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 pm

In those kinds of temperatures a cool shower followed by fans feels good to everyone, including us peoples!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Xavier sounds like an accepting soul who's seen far too much. He has good reason to be wary, Lord knows. I'm grateful he has a gentle core that's allowed him to come this far. I dare think that, oh, let's say a year from now, we'll be looking at a truly contented and happy horse.

Becky, who named him Xavier? Do you always call him that or has he acquired a barn name?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm

His rescue name is Xavier. That's how he was listed on the web page. I don't know if he is registered, and if he is I don't know his registered name. I've been calling him Buddy because I want him to think he is a buddy. But, it doesn't really fit. He isn't "talking" to me yet, so he hasn't told me his nickname. I'm sure it will come out one day though.

Today, I called the boys for showers and supper. A big storm was on its way, and I wanted to get everyone inside. The first one to come was X, and he trotted right to me with bright eyes. It was a very good sight. He stood like a champ for his bath, and even put up with me squirting water on his head. He just accepted it all. He got a little worried in the stall while I showered Sabi, and he called a few times. But, Sabi came in about 5 minutes later and all was well.

I got everyone washed and fed just in time. The skies opened and the wind howled. Now, the temperature is dropping and tomorrow is supposed to be wonderful. Let's hope my tomato plants survived the latest assault. It's been a rough year on the garden.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm

bpaquet wrote:The first one to come was X, and he trotted right to me with bright eyes. It was a very good sight.

Becky, you made my night.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 pm

What wonderful news and it must have been a wonderful sight.
The garden here has been taking it tough too.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Today's weather has been beautiful. The horses are enjoying it very much. X looks relieved that he didn't have to sweat. I think the heat takes lots of energy out of everybody, and X doesn't need to spend any energy on that kind of stuff. He needs to reserve everything so he can keep gaining weight. Since it's going to be nice, I'll try to take some pix when they aren't looking so wiped out from being hot.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes, thank God this heat has broken! I even have my windows open tonight, and the breezes have been lovely. The guys must be loving it.

You know we'd love to see pictures, Becky, if the boys will comply. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Same here, can't wait to see current pictures.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:19 am

Oh yes, pics please! So glad X is coming to you with bright eyes, he's getting better. Now if he could've seen Sabi getting his shower, maybe he wouldn't have been so worried in the barn. Anyway to give Sabi his shower within sight of X, to ease his anxiety over his new friend being out of sight?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Week 3 photos posted (http://gallery.me.com/becky.paquet/100060). I think he's gaining weight. If you can't see them, I'll post somewhere else or email. Let me know your choice. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Yes, he has gained weight. I'd say he should be up to par in about a month or so.
He is really looking good Becky. cheers cheers cheers
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Dang! I can't see them! Mad Sad But X sounds great, and for that I am Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:05 am

Does Flickr work for you, Suzzzz?http://www.flickr.com/photos/65284775@N05/5944754291/in/photostream
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 pm

What a sweetie pie...! He definitely looks like he knew the camera was there in a couple of the shots Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:21 pm

He sure knew Becky was there, and stepped closer with interest, curiosity and trust. That speaks volumes, IMO. Very Happy

Becky, again, thank you so much for emailing me the pics! And yes, I can see flickr and just looked at our boy again. Sorry I wasn't on here long enough last night to save you the trouble of an email, but I sure loved getting it today! I love you

Like I replied to your email, I think X looks tons better! You see him every day but, to me, these pics, compared with the first ones, are quite different and so heartening. I also loved just seeing him out there like that, grazing peacefully in the field with the boyos. Xavier has lucked into a mighty fine family.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:12 pm

I can see he is beginning to fill out, which is a great thing to see. If you hadn't snapped that one pic I'm sure that you'd have had one of an extreme closeup of his nose.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't know what that silly boy did, but he has a big scratch on his side. It isn't bleeding or anything, but it's big and kind of swollen. Maybe he rubbed really hard on a tree. It doesn't look like a bite or kick, so I think it's just one of those pasture mysteries. At least it isn't anything bad. I'm sure he'll figure out what did it, and won't make that mistake again.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Could there be a nail working it's way out of the fence that could've caused that scratch? If the swelling and redness don't go down in a day or two you might need some topical antibiotic to help it heal.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 am

I do regular fence walks, and I haven't seen any nails. Our boards are nailed on the outside, so popped nails wouldn't normally be a problem. The scratch is healing up just fine. I suspect a tree. But, it doesn't really deserve a lot of investigation. Horses can hurt themselves in a padded stall, so scratches and bumps are just things you see and say, "hmm..."

The boys (and GK/Gateway) are out right now. I am at home for the next 2 days, which is good so I can keep an eye on them all. It's supposed to be brutally hot, and it's really muggy already. If the horses get too hot, I'll bring them in under the fans. But, it really is better for them to be in the open air as much as possible. They will probably hang out under the trees to stay out of the sun. The kitties, of course, will be coming in soon enough. They'll be mad because my day includes VACUUMING. affraid
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm

I remember a case that my equine vet told me of. He was called out to stitch up a horse
that had cut his chest open. Required fifteen stitches the only thing in the stall was a water
bucket. Question Question
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:40 pm

How on earth do you cut yourself on a water bucket? Question

Poor kitties, terrorized by the vacuum.............

fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Never did figure it out. Vet said there was no blood etc, so it was
one of those equine mysteries.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:21 pm

its like the sherlock holmes mystery of the murder with the locked door;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 pm

There's no telling. Like I said... Horses can figure out how to hurt themselves in a padded stall. X's scratch is healing up just fine. It's just a black line on his white side.

He's learning about baths. Since it's been so hot, I've been giving showers when they come in. Sabi stands like a stone -- eating grass of course. Envoy stands and enjoys and even sticks his head in the water. X used to walk around in circles and look worried. Now, he's standing still as long as there's only one person around. He even let me squirt his head today.

If another person shows up, he gets a little worried and walks around. Nothing bad... Just a little tension. We'll have to get him used to people. I might take him for walks around the neighborhood when it cools down some. It's stinkin' HOT now.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 pm

i can just see you walking around greating the neighbors:)....,maybe in...oh, Sept?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum