Xavier is coming!

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Xavier is coming!

Post by jeanebellini on Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 pm

so its not going to bother him having his legs hairfree? just wondering....guess maybe it feels are light as ours do after we nair 'em!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:30 am

It looks like arrival day is the 21st. He is still very skinny, but he's stronger. It would be good to get him here while the summer grass is here and he can continue to gain weight. So, we are arranging transportation now. cheers pale

I will be away from the 23rd - 26th, but I think my husband will be fine with watching him and making sure he has enough to eat. That's the biggest thing right now. Enough to eat!!!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:57 am

I don't think getting him to eat will be a problem.........I hope Xavier is sorta settled in before you leave.

He's arriving the same day I have HUD inspection and won't be online. Will have to read the arrival report the next day IF I can get enough computer time.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:41 pm

WOW!!! That is good news. Even if he is underweight, as long as his general health is
good everything should be fine. Hubby will do an excellent job, if he wasn't good with
animals you never would have married him.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Does Xavier eat a special fortified food to get his weight up?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Oh, my. X is coming and you'll be leaving 2 days later? That would make me anxious. But you know your support crew and I'm sure you can rally them to take good care of our new boy. The Hub, your vet & farrier, and (last but certainly not least!) Sabi and Envoy, will all do their best for Xavier while Mom's away. And won't he be glad to see you when you come back!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:03 am

I hope he'll be settling when I get back. It will take a while for everyone to adjust to the new routine, but we should have things planned out well enough that he'll be fine while I'm gone. Of course, Hubby has all the phone numbers, so we should be covered. I'm excited and apprehensive all at the same time. But, I've invested a chunk of money in my weekend, so I'm going. I'm sure all will be fine! Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:52 pm

its only a couple days and like Suzzz said your support group will be there. if you and your hubby were both going to be gone then i'd say wait, but as long as he's there i'm sure things will be fine;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 pm

I left a message for my vet today. I need to pick up a vaccination that wasn't available at his current place. They are far enough away from the East Coast that they don't worry about Potomac Horse Fever, but we have to vaccinate for it. It's bad here, and horses really suffer (and weak ones die) from it. Since he's not up to snuff, I want to be sure he's all taken care of in the vaccination dept.

I also asked the vet if she could consult on a good feeding program. I don't want to load him up with grain because that is dangerous, and it isn't really what horses are built to eat. But, I want to know kinds of grain that skinny horses should eat, and if I should buy alfalfa hay. He will be able to eat all the grass he wants, and I have some good quality hay, but it isn't high protein stuff. I also have heard that you can add oil to food to make horses gain weight. But, it's always good to get the doctor's opinion. I'm sure he'll fatten right up, so this is just for my own sanity.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Definelty check with your vet but my recommendation is high
quality hay and be easy on the grain.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Sounds like you have things well in hand Sue. I know Xavier will be very happy in his new home as soon as he arrives. Very Happy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't know anything about the care of horses, as you well know, and I have nothing to say on that score except that this whole process is fascinating to me and I want to keep learning from the horsewomen here. Please let us know what the vet says, Becky.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:23 pm

i wonder if flax (flax seed?)is good for horses? they sure recommend it for us humans.
i'm sure the vet will give ya info and maybe some suppliments to help build X up:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Flax is wonderful for horses. It makes their coats shiny and gives them all kinds of happy nutrients. I have my guys on supplements that contain a good amount of flax, and if the vet thinks it will help, I'll get some ground stuff to add to X's food. It does smell wonderful. Thanks for reminding me of it, Jeane.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 pm

and it wouldn't be bad for you to have either,becky:) if i don't take any of my other vitamin things i always take a flax cap and now a milk thistle (try to take 2 or 3 of those a day....it seems to be helping to take more than just one).

i actually found out how much good flax is supposed to do when buddy was here ....we were giving it to him with a little cottage cheese. after he left there was quite a few left and i finally decided to take them myself. (they're from trader joes)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 pm

I really hate swallowing pills. I do occasionally buy the flax cereal at Trader Joe's though. Maybe I should just suck it up and swallow some flax. What is it supposed to help? I don't know if I need my fur to get shiny. tongue

I forgot to fill out one of X's papers. Apparently, I put it in the envelope blank. DUH! Fortunately, the rescue lady sent me the electronic copy so I could fill it out and email it back. I feel pretty silly.

I did organize an appointment for my vet to come and give him his first Potomac Horse Fever vaccination and she will leave the booster shot with me. She'll evaluate his skinniness and give me a feed plan. I'm getting excited.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Me, too! I'm glad your vet is on board and is ready to receive X. She will see him before you leave, yes?

I want to know more about flax, too. My fur could use some shine! tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Very Happy So are the rest of us. We are going to get before pictures. So we can see
what he looks like now with updates as he progresses.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:41 am

It's hard to imagine X as super skinny, the pic the rescue site had was just a nice portrait headshot......I know you'll have him back to snuff before winter.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Well... It looks like delivery day is Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Not a big deal since I'm out of town for the weekend. In fact, it works better for me. So, we're almost there. Soon, I'll see what the little guy looks like up close and personal.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:12 pm

i can't remember exactly what flax is supposed to be for...i know that it supposedly can shrink tumors...but i think its always go for antioxidants? let me go get my bottle and see what its got in it...well,the ones i get at trader joes have omega 3,6 and 9 in them. and the omegas are good for a lot of things but they're supposed to help your brain (which is something i can use;) ).
trader joes here has flax seeds whole (a lady told me she uses a coffee grinder for hers (I presume a fresh one just for those)so she can do different grinds for different things. but there's also a medium 'grind' with dried blueberries that is good....i got a bag of that and it lasted almost 2 wks using about 2-3T a day . i mix it with cereal or yogurt or apple sauce.
the next time i go in there i'm going to get the fine grind...its put out by a co that also does red wheat and pancake mixes. the medium grind is nice but the seeds get under my crowns and i can't have that. i think the finer one will work just as well in apple sauce etc and maybe not have such 'seedy' bits in it.(and that size bag not only is bigger but its cheaper!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

bpaquet wrote:Well... It looks like delivery day is Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Not a big deal since I'm out of town for the weekend. In fact, it works better for me. So, we're almost there. Soon, I'll see what the little guy looks like up close and personal.

I know it's taken longer than you'd hoped, Becky, but I think this has worked out well. A little longer to get a little stronger before the move for X, and you'll be there when he comes home without having to be absent at the beginning. And you can enjoy your weekend without worrying about what's happening with him back home. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I agree. The weather tomorrow and Thursday is supposed to be pretty brutal, so it's better if he leaves over the weekend when it's not supposed to be so hot. I've bought a new food bowl and the water buckets are set out to be scrubbed. No reason to scrub them before the day he comes. They'll just get dirty again. We need to go to the feed store and buy more bedding since his stall is stripped to the mats. We did the complete cleaning after Curly Sue went home. Then, I think we're ready for the big arrival.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 pm

oh becky it sounds like you're setting up a new guest room:) (but without having to buy the fancy little soaps and new frilly towels:) )
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I think fate has a hand here, making sure X arrives when you can be home and give him your undivided attention. Plus you can enjoy your few days away from home without worrying about how he's adjusting to a new home.

Do the boys know something's up with all this activity getting ready for X's arrival?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum