Saving money

Page 4 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Saving money

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:12 pm

[quote="jeanebellini"]well,i don't cut it that far...but i really can't afford $5 for milk..i buy the quarts for a few pennies over $1 and cut that a little bit. one quart lasts me a week...sometimes more depending on whether i'm eating cereal every day or not.

$5 for a gallon of milk? That's highway robbery! Around here a gallon of whole milk goes for about $3, and when you stretch it with 2 gallons of water that translates to around $1/gallon. Good bargain if you have the fridge space. I just use a measuring cup to make a quart's worth at a time (takes up less room that way).
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 pm

i haven't seen milk that cheap in about 10 yrs. even when i lived in TX it had gone up to $4-5 a gallon.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Well now you can get milk from Kroger and Tom Thumb
for under $2.00. It's the house brand but still it's milk.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 am

Yeah, I only see the $4 milk at the gas station. I can get name brand like Kemps at the store for $3, sometimes less if it's on sale.

I'm stretching my meat these days with noodles and veggies. Good thing I like oriental food! Since I discovered the Iron Chef sauces it's been easy.......I water that sauce down 50/50 so it goes further too.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 pm

welp,i get a quart of milk for $1.09 that's as cheap as i can get it...even Trader Joe's is more than that. i splurged on some soy milk the other day cuz its on sale for $1.50 a quart and will last longer than regular cow milk. if i could get milk for $2 or $3 a gallon i'd be eating more cereal and making more stuff! a lot of times i'll want to make something but it needs milk or eggs and i can't afford 'em so i do without.
eggs here i can't get for less than $1.99 ...they don't even have the sales like they used to around easter! i used to get a dolzen and a half for 99cents around easter but not around here. (if i had my own place i'd probably have three hens just to lay the eggs!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:46 pm

We hit the jackpot at the farmers market in Rockford this morning. Longer drive to get there compared to Saturday's market which was a bust, had horrible traffic, and again only one vendor that would take my mom's voucher but this guy had a huge booth with tons of good stuff. Nice kid working it too (I think it was his son), very helpful. Now we have to find room in the fridge for it all. We got watermelon, cantalope, tomatoes, corn, cabbage, romaine lettuce, carrots and he had a lot more to choose from. Plus we could stop at Valli Produce on the way home from there.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Good haul. If you can buy from him on a regular basis. Even if it's
just once a month.

Last edited by Sue Short on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:28 pm

there was a guy on oprah (the guy who made the movie Food Inc) who kept saying americans spend only 9% of their income on food. i don't know where he got that from...cuz even when i buy only enough to barely get by ($5 a day or less) i'm STILL spending 20% of my income and that's just on people food!

there also was a woman (this might have been part of his movie) that had her husband and two kids (teen and one a little younger) who was going on and on about how they only have $1 to spend on each of them for dinner so they went to fast food place and got a burger. Hmm....wish i had that woman in front of me..i could have showed her how to take that $4 and make a full dinner for all four of them that included vegtable and fruit! of course she'd have to put her butt in the kitchen and do some thinking... esh.

i found 14cents the other day on my walk home....well, a dime of it i found on the floor of the grocery store's bathroom but i'm not proud to pick something up off a bathroom floor. i'm working on my 11th $ for the year....its going to help pay for one day's bus fare into NYC. so far its paying for a trip in and about half a trip back home;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 pm

You know people can be so stupid with their food dollars. I mean really
all this prepackaged stuff is very expensive, if you just buy the ingredients
you get a better meal and the things that you don't use in the dish you
can use in something else. Also coupons, I think everybody in here coupons
and shops sales. How many us buy seasonal produce, etc. While I don't go as
far as some of you do with the milk. I do cut my meat portions down to half.

In fact Fif, the next time you are at that farmers market, ask the man if he has
any tomatoes suitable stewing. If he does he may sell them to you at half price.
While they are not that great in salads or on sandwiches. Peel them, then chop
them up and make a great meat sauce with them or even tomato soup.

As for the figure that was given on Orpah. Remember there are lies, damnable
lies and then there are statstics. Benjamin Diserali.

P.S. Where did that rant come from

Last edited by Sue Short on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:11 pm

well,i kinda half way trust the dude on oprah because of the movie he did....and the fact that oprah is so careful with what is said on there since 1) she was sued about the beef thing (that's when we first heard about Dr Phil) and 2)that dude with the book that was fraudiulant. (I can't remember the name of the book..a Million Little Pills or something).

as i saw reading i thought....gee, ya know...prepacked food for $1...those people coulda been eating the TV dinners i get and not only getting a full meal but the correct proportions as well!
I really don't eat much meat....i used to get no meat only only flattened out chicken that was greasy and breaded...used to be given 95% starch to eat. Now that i've gone back to eating some meat my body has been changing. but i still don't eat much. i doin't think i eat more than a lb of meat a week. but i do like oatmeal and things. (probably would have been cheaper and healthier if that woman had bought some quick cook generic oat meal and a pack of dried fruit and fed the family that for dinner!)

only problem is, these are the type of people who won't listen to reason nor will they listen when you explain how to save a buck. (one of the cartoonists i'm friends with on facebook is also a teacher. he's doing some training this week and he drew an illustration i'm about ready to ask if i can reuse....its all about beating a dead horse. trying to talk to people like that woman on oprah would be like trying to beat a dead horse...bad metaphor, but makes a point).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 am

I got a bunch of veggies on sale and made my own stirfry veggie mix to put in the freezer. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to do all the chopping in front of the fan to stay cool, but having those baggies in the freezer sure saves me a lot of time later, and money too. Carrots, celery, onion, peapods, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots all portioned out in baggies and put in a big freezer bag. I can always add broccoli to it later if I want and have some on hand. The noodles don't take long to cook either, especially if I use cellaphane noodles. If I bought the veggies all premixed in the freezer section I figure it would cost me 10 times as much.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 pm

See that's what I mean. Just a little planning, a little work.
Catch whatever meat you are going to use on sale.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:41 pm

i tried something yesterday that seems to work pretty good....Salem was doing the starving cat meow yesterday and i didn't have any of the dented can specials to give him. (sometimes i find a can of food that they wouldn't normally eat ..like the pate style....but its marked down too cheap to pass up)So i took a regular can and divided it into 5 dishes (not a lot...maybe a teaspoon each) and adds a little dry food and mixed it up real good. I didn't think they'd eat it...thought they'd lick the canned off and leave the dry. But they ate it all...all the dishes were pretty well cleaned out!
tried it again today and they ate that too. in fact, they haven't had their plain wet food yet tonight and nobody has been driving me crazy asking for it! (the later i can give it to them the more likely i am going to be able to sleep better at night:) ).
So i've found a way to stretch out the food a bit AND make sure they get more of the Purina ONE that they'd been turning their noses up in the bowl! (i mix Purina ONE with friskies indoor (and the new grill version cuz i can't find anything bad in that flavor either)about one cup of ONE to two of the others.....but they will pick out their favorite flavors of the Friskies and leave the Purina ONE in the bowl or scoop it out of the bowl to make a mess!).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I had this cat, Ruthie, was her name. Anyway she would pick over
the meow mix.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Bijoux picks over his Science Diet but he will eat the dreaded leftovers if he must. He'll complain about it of course but he will eat it.

I also stock the freezer with chicken breasts if I can get them on sale, if not I save them off the whole chickens I buy on occasion. I've also made my stirfries with pork chops, cubed pork, beef cubesteak (you know, the cheap stuff they slice all those lil cuts into to make it tender), whatever is on sale. You don't even have to cook cellophane noodles, you just boil the water in the microwave and just soak the noodles for about 6 minutes. They kinda look like jellyfish tentacles with no flavor at all but they are filling and have protein in them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm

i dug out my purina one 'checks' to see when they expire (i still haven't gotten a ride where i have the money and the coupons together so i can get the big bags home). read them again and you can only use ONE per bag. (funny, the coupons for formula we take at the store the people can bring in as many coupons as they can glob onto and use them..up to the price of the formula!). still its i$6 less per large bag if i can get them. just would have been nicer if they would allow more than one 'check' or if they would let you use them on a smaller bag!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 pm

I have some ONE coupons from this past Sunday's newspaper. Can you use them?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:55 pm

I've been having some luck last week getting dollar coins left overin the metrocard machines., and Thursday night I got $2 in quarters from a phone slot, after I took out the tissue someone stuffed up there .

lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 pm

they're STILL stuffing the phone slots? esh! but good on you for getting the goodies!

and yeah..i can always use Purina ONE coupons:) (and Friskies dry and friskies cans and Feline Pine litter....i've been buying trader joes cuz its cheaper,but if i had coupons it would be cheaper to get feline pine small bag). with coupons i can get the smaller bags i can carry home....with the checks i have to get the really huge bags that i can't carry.
i can even use the Meow Mix wet that comes in the little yellow gold plastic containers. those are treats the kitties get when they're on sale and there's a holiday.

they're discontinuing an old brand of pop tarts (not pop tart brand....i can't remember what they're called but its a brand that came out decades ago)....i get those for my locker at work when i don't get to eat breakfast here and have to have something. i had bought them before because they were $1.25 (even cheaper than dented boxed of Pop Tarts) but now they are 84cents;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I'll get the coupons together in an envelope for you Jeane, and mail them to you.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:20 pm

thanks so much...i've got to get the tidy cat coupons together for you. i finally have some stamps!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Same here, and they're jacking up the cost of postage yet again in a couple months...............keep this up and they'll price themselves right out of business.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm

here's a link to a good article on yahoo about things people should never have to pay for....there's even something in here where you can get coupons to get those Red Box videos free....
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/110384/things-you-shouldnt-be-paying-for?mod=bb-budgeting
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Couldn't find where to get those coupons on the site. I wonder if they took that off already.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Speaking of coupons, thanks to some coupons that
Kroger sent me. I was able to buy three pounds of
butter for $4.06.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart