Desperado had surgery today...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Desperado had surgery today...

Post by gbste on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Poor kitty! I hope he's feeling better today.

There is a kind of cat treat (I'm at work, so I don't have the name, sorry) that has cranberry filling inside. I give this to my kitties that have urinary issues, and it seems to help them quite a bit. Some kitties won't eat these treats, but most of them like them very much. For the kitties that don't like the treats, I get powdered cranberry capsules in the human supplement section, and sprinkle some cranberry powder from these caps in their food. They eat normally, and don't seem to notice that the powder is even there.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Not a bad idea you have there gbste, those might help Desi too..........if he'll actually eat them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Thank you all for you thoughts and comments.

The vet called just a little while ago. Right away, I could tell it wasn't going to be good, from her tone.
What she took off his leg was indeed malignant. She said, though, she got it ALL and we would keep an eye on that area in case it came back. It was a low-grade malignancy, and she said usually with those types of cancers, it would come back in the same spot, if it came back at all. Of course, we'll be checking him all over more often now, but she is optimistic that he will be fine for a long time.

We try not to rock his little boat very much as you know, and it has been severely rocked this last week with the surgery, the stitches, the staples, the cone, the meds, the urinary block and infection and now Daddy is gone for a month. Poor kitty's doing alright now, though, just sleeping a lot, very little activity because of that cone and he's using his kitty box just fine. The vet said they'll be open on Monday, so we will get those staples out and no more cone on MONDAY!!! I feel mean giving him his liquid antibiotic...I know I'm not, but poor kitty doesn't do liquids very well. On the other hand, the ratties LOVE having antibiotic liquid when they need it. They grab the syringe with their little hands and drink it up like a baby and a bottle! It's so funny. Wish Desi was like that...

The vet said she is so glad that I caught this and we took care of it.

So am I.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 pm

is the antibiotic flavored? the stuff they always get for the Rescue Kitties is bubble gum and i don't think they like it. they need to make fish or beef flavored antibiotcs for critters!
sad to hear the news but it does sound good. .... after Salem had his surgery they gave him a dose of radiation...it was just a one time thing but it was a precaution.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 pm

It's not the pink bubble gum kind this time. It's white and doesn't have any kind of distinct odor/flavor as far as I can tell. I do wish they'd have kitty-friendly flavored meds, too. He's also on a capsule antibiotic and a crushable pill as well. These things are for his urinary infection. When I'm finished giving him his liquid one, I mix his powdered ones in some wet food for him (his CD medicated food comes in both dry and wet.) Then he thinks he's getting a treat. I absolutely HATE giving him that liquid, though. I mean, I can do it, but it just kills me, the look on his face. Today, he started drooling before he even had it, so I know it stresses him a lot. I just hate, hate, hate this whole ordeal. Our poor cat. He's such a sweetheart kitty, too. I just can't wait until we are over and done with it.

On top of it all, I have a mild case of the flu and just feel like going to bed all day, but I still have to go to work every day. I love my job, but I'm really looking forward to having this 4-day weekend for us to recover.

*sigh* Crying or Very sad
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:35 pm

I am relieved, even though that tumor was malignant, that the vet took enough tissue around it's margin to get it all. As long as any stray cells didn't get into his system to float around, it shouldn't come back. Desi has been through so much but he's been such a lil trooper through it all. Hang in there!

(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))) for you both.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Elizabeth, I have nothing helpful to add so I'll just say that my prayers are with you. I'm hoping these few days off will give you a chance to rest and heal, and that Des can snuggle with you and do the same. Sending all love your way, dearest one.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Desi - our prayers are with you - I KNOW just how much the specter of cancer can be, but I know you'll have great care - hang in there! ((((((((((SPECIAL VIBES FOR A GREAT OUTCOME!!!!!!!!))))))))))

In my own way, I'm with you - Jim
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you, dear friends. *heavy sigh* It's been a rough week.
Today, I got rid of one of Desperado's favorite pieces of furniture. It was a divan with recliners at both ends and he loved to lay on it because it was in front of the large living room window. It was his sunning place. However, that piece of furniture and my glider chair were a tweedy-type fabric and they were kitty/doggy hair magnets. I couldn't keep up with getting them de-haired and it was just not the pieces of furniture for us (finally did something about it after having these pieces for 6 years.) Today, guys from Goodwill came and took those pieces away. I worked for hours to de-kitty them and steam clean and freshen them. They were beautiful pieces of furniture, just not good for us. So, when Desi went into the living room, he didn't know what to think. The whole living room is rearranged and a new chair (new to us) has been brought in (another glider, but that velour-type fabric that doesn't soak in the hair.)

Tomorrow, Hildegard and I are going to PetsMart to get him a new window kitty bed. He had one when we were stationed in Colorado and loved it. Poor kitty, after I said we didn't want to rock his boat anymore, here I go and do it. But, I have this month while Joshua's gone and am doing seriously deep Spring Cleaning. Desi has found the new chair to be very comfortable and the kitty hair just brushes off.

Poor little guy, I think he's lost weight. He isn't eating very much...and although he could stand to lose a few pounds, I don't want it to be like this.

Roll on Monday!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 pm

I hope Desi feels better now that you're done rocking his world in a major way. Now to heal...............
(((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))) I'm sure Desi remembers other times when you did deep spring cleaning, after a couple days he'll just take it in stride as usual. When does he go back for a recheck with the vet?

pssst........a few extra treats wouldn't hurt here........ **wink, wink**
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Well, our mission to find him a kitty windowsill bed was not successful. We went to two places and each place was sold out. The one had just sold the last med about an hour before Hildegard and I got there. I may just order him one online. There's one that's really nice and looks super comfy.

Tomorrow is the day!!! I can't WAIT to have his staples out and be done with this cone and medicine business. It has been an incredibly long 10 days. Poor kitty.

Hildegard and I had a great time together in Savannah. After our shopping, we went down to the Historic District and took a walk on River Street. If you've not been to Savannah, this is a hub of shopping and restaurants and street perfomers along the Savannah River. It was here, in 1732, that Georgia was founded as the last British Colony in America. Lots of people out on a beautiful Spring-like day. You don't want to walk with Hildy unless you don't mind attention, and she got plenty of it. Tons of people wanted to pet her (and they did). Lots of lovin's, lots of praise for her being such a sweet, well-mannered dog. I discovered that Hildy loves to window shop! She likes to look right in at windows and see what's going on. People would just laugh when I asked her if she had any money. hee hee.

One street perfomer was playing the trumpet. This guy is amazing, there must be a million songs in that mind of his. He's always been one of my favorites. Well, he saw us coming and started playing "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" Everyone started laughing! It was SO funny! I just felt bad because I didn't have any cash on me. What was I thinking to go down there without any money? If we go back tomorrow (I'm thinking about it) I'll make sure I have some and find him. As it was, I just had to thank him and keep walking. We've given him plenty in the past, but I don't mind, he's really good and I can usually spare a couple of dollars.

So, bright and early tomorrow morning Desperado will be FREE!!! cheers
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:11 pm

salem says these are not fun....
but it feels soooo good when you can do this again...
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm SO glad you and Hildy had such a wonderful outing!!! I can just see Hildy out there, charming the populace, grinning her doggy grin from ear to ear! Laughing That's a great gift you girls gave yourselves, my dear, and well deserved. I hope you'll make a habit of it this Spring, now that the weather is beginning to cooperate. Hoo, I love that kind of walkabout. Wish I'd been there with you, and I kinda felt like I was. Thank you so much for telling us all about it! Very Happy

Sounds like everyone had the same idea as you for Desi's window spot. By all means get a nice one online since none are available on the ground. You'll most likely get in within a week, and Des should love it.

[Hint we all know: if, after a while, he shows no interest in the window platform, try putting something that smells familiar on it, like a used pillowcase from your bed. I'd suggest something from his own bed, but that might still have residue of VET on it it from his recent travails. Shocked ]
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:20 am

Like a Star @ heaven cheers Like a Star @ heaven cheers Like a Star @ heaven cheers Like a Star @ heaven cheers Like a Star @ heaven

DESPERADO IS FREE!!! cheers cheers cheers

I took him down about an hour ago and had his staples removed. He is cleared up from his urinary infection, and is now
med and cone free! I'm so happy.

We came back home and I got out the cone. He saw it and tried to take off. I called him back, poor kitty...so trusting. Then I took a pair of scissors and cut that dreaded cone into little pieces. He looked down at the pieces like "What?!" I took a large piece and used it to "comb" him. He loved that and kept rubbing his face on it. He stepped all over the other pieces while going back and forth to get combed.

Then, I threw what once was the cone away.

Yay!!! cheers

Now, the question is...hammock-style bed, or supported one. He had a hammock style when we were in Colorado (when I first found all of you!) but there's a really nice supported (flat) one I found online. I'll make my decision and order it today.

Either way, I'm sure he'll love it. He really loved the one in Colorado.

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:52 am

YEAH! Very Happy
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

Great news!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 am

Poor kitty has been washing all morning. It will take him a while to get himself back to kitty standards.
He didn't lose very much weight, about a pound.
He's already been to the food dish about 3 times since we've been home.

As far as the kitty bed, I may hold off on that for a little while. I put a little low table next to the window with a rubber place mat on it and then a comfy fleecey blanket on top of that. It's perfect for him to sit and look out of the window and take a sun nap. I will definitely get one online, but they're not cheap and if I can hold off a minute, then that works good for us. I will eventually need my little table back, it's for my record player (yes, I still have a record player!) But until I start working on my art/sewing room, he can borrow it.

I keep petting him and at first, he seemed apprehensive because I had to put the cone on him and give meds so often. But now, he's just full of purry lovin's and we're all happy.

Thanks for seeing us through this, dear Mutties! I love you
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:04 pm

I am so glad that dreaded cone is gone and the staples with it. I bet Desi was a bit perplexed when he watched you cut that cone up, then realized it was gone for good. I think he'll like that table with the fleecy blanket on it for sunnapping. Sounds good to me. Maybe later on you'll get lucky and find a kitty window seat on sale either at the store or online. I'm sure Hildy won't mind helping you shop for it...........I would've loved to have seen her windowshopping...........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

That was very cool of you to let Desi see you destroy that blasted cone and let him participate in its demise! I'm very impressed you thought of that.

If you've found a homemade window seat that works for Desi, I'd keep it as long as possible. He's had way too many changes in his life lately, poor boy, and needs a little time to time to settle down and trust his surroundings. When and if you need your table back, maybe you can find a yard-sale substitute so he can keep his special spot. Or maybe you'll find the perfect pedestal for your record player in a Savannah second-hand shop on one of your jaunts with Hildy! Who knows? The future is full of treasures. Laughing

As for hammock vs. stable surface, keep in mind that Des is no longer as young as he was in Colorado. When I was young I'd throw myself into a beach hammock and never give it a moment's thought. These days I climb in gingerly and it takes a bit of umph to get comfy. We won't even discuss getting out. affraid Just saying, fond memories aside, kittens are good with adventure; older cats like stability. If you decide to get a window seat, I'd go for the stable one.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 pm

HIP HIP cheers
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Thank you, all, for celebrating with us! He is doing really well and has settled down from his constant cleaning. Right now, he's resting on his table bed, watching the ratties.

I think you're right, dear Suzzzz. He seems comfy on his little table bed and can look out the window with plenty of room, and no damage to the window sill. We may just let him keep it, and put more comfy fleecey blankets or his comfy blue bed up there. For now, he's happy and I'll just let him enjoy things as they are now. The little table looks cute in the living room, too.

Joshua called the other day and he asked about Desperado. I wasn't going to tell him about the malignancy until he returned home, but he asked. I was glad I had good news for him as well, as far as the doctor saying she got all the cancer and that he'd be ok. He called again yesterday and I could report that all was well with his little family. Each call was about 10 minutes long, so I had to make sure I packed as much good news in there as I could!

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 pm

i guess i'm bad..i've kept salem's cone! maybe one day i could make a piece of art from it;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 pm

What a joy for all of us that the news you were able to give Joshua was so good! Very Happy

P.S. I know he's on the job so his news probably wasn't particularly joyful, but I trust Joshua's okay and that his work goes well. Lol, I wonder if he has any idea how many total strangers hold him (and his family) in their thoughts and prayers every day! I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 pm

I have a feeling Joshua knows about us....................I'm glad you had good news for him, to keep his spirits up while he's gone. Also very glad Desi likes his new windowseat. As long as he's loved, happy, and comfy, what more can a cat wish for besides daddy coming home?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum