OUCH!

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: OUCH!

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Sounds like TippyForNow is making herself at home with the current residents. Smile I'm trying to be objective here, but I can't help a little outburst of Awwwwww!! Sabi and Curly Sue seem to recognize a vulnerable soul when they see one. To give her stall space and even tolerate food theft... Cool

Can you add antibiotics to her wet food, Becky?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 pm

I am so glad to hear TippyForNow is doing better. Does her ear still need epsom salt compresses still? Can you plut an antibiotic in her wetfood, to help speed the healing?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Sounds like she may be turning the corner. Glad that the ponies are being
so careful. I like the name Tippi. I'm thinking about Tippi Herndon?, she was
the actress in the Birds and I think she now operates a big cat sanctury.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Her ear looks much, much better. It is still obviously very hurt, but the swelling is down and it doesn't smell nearly as bad. I am still putting the compress on it to make sure she doesn't have any dirt or shavings stuck in it. I want to keep the wound open a bit while it heals. If it closes up, I'm afraid something will get stuck in there and she will have infection problems.

When I got back from visiting Envoy, I got a MEOW! WHERE'S MY SOFT FOOD? The wind is howling, and she's snuggled down in her corner. She will sleep behind Sabi's sleep spot, so she won't get blown all over. I wish I could see the two of them sleeping together, but when I turn on the lights, they wake up.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 am

What a sweet image. Glad she is doing so well. Keeping the wound sounds
like a good idea. It gives the wound a chance to heal from inside out. Rather than
the other way around which causes abscesses.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Awwww, I can just imagine them sleeping curled up next to each other. Glad her ear is healing, and her appetite is very good. Was that meow a good loud strong one?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Her meow is very loud and it sounds like she smoked too many cigarettes. Laughing She knows when I'm in the barn and starts singing. This morning, she stretched, which means she's feeling better. And, she is no longer curled into a tight ball all the time. She lies like a sphinx, which also means she's feeling better. I think she is looking like she's gaining some weight. She doesn't look as sunken. Amazing what a few days of high calorie wet food and unlimited crunchies can do.

I'll have to start planning for her vet visit. I'll need to clean up the plastic carrier. I won't take her for a while because I want to be sure her ear is good and she is fat enough to withstand the stress of surgery. I figure at least 2 or 3 weeks if not a little longer. (Also have to see how the money is holding out.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 am

That's good news that she is talking when you are in the barn and is
no longer sleeping in a tight ball. That's how the conserve body heat
when they are sick. You might try adding some stew beef to her wet food.
Not a lot, just mince it up and put it in her wet food.

As to money, well I'll chip in my wine fund.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Now that Tippy is feeling a bit better, you will see more and more of her real personality coming through. Good that she talks to you while you're in the barn, not only do you know she's feeling good but also where she is.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 pm

A kitty does need to have some reserves to withstand surgery, but it's about the time of year when female cats start going into heat, so keep your eye out for that too.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:58 pm

oh yeah...the Rescue Kitties have enough wet food stocked up that i don't need to buy any for a couple months...they can chip in from their fund. make it their birthday present since it will be close to their birthday:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh! I don't mean that I won't have the $$ for the surgery. That isn't really a problem. It's just timing. I need to do it on a good payday rather than a big-bill payday. It's a juggling thing. She WILL get spayed. I don't want a litter of kittens in the barn. Then, I'd have way too many mouths to feed.

She's eating like crazy, and I think looking better. Her fur is still dull and dirty, but that will come back once she's all healthy. This morning, when she went to eat out of Sabi's dish, she got too close to his back foot. I expected him to squish her, but he felt his foot bump her side and he lifted it WAY up and waited for her to move. She didn't eat his food, but she did rub on his front leg. I think they are in love.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Well Becky you know how this group is.

Sabi is an unbelievable horse. That must have been something
too see though. Glad she is still packing away the food and is
doing better. You're right though as her health improves so will
her coat. Do you think you can get a snap of her now. Then we
can see what she looks like further down the road.

By the way how is Petie doing? Also Gateway?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Oh, Becky! *shniff* What a lovely picture! I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm

I just love how gentle Sabi is with Tippi. He understands that she's much littler than he is and still sick and needs gentleness. I think he loves his new pet and she obviously is being loving towards him. Very Happy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Tonight, she followed me all over the barn. She began by meowing, then she watched me throw hay to the horses and collect their dinner bowls. Then, she followed me to the barn fridge where her can of food is. As soon as I pulled out the can, she went straight back to Sabi's stall for her snack. My husband said she kicked stall shavings (clean) into her food dish when all she had was crunchies. I think I'm creating a monster. But, she's really a sweet monster.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Oh, my. You may actually have an interstellar Princess of some sort on your hands. Thank god you saved her! It may not have gone well for you otherwise. Shocked As it is, as long as you acceed to her every whim, you can undoubtedly count on rewards beyond your wildest dreams once her throne is restored! Or maybe some other time. Well, it depends. Anyway, that's her story and she's sticking to it. queen
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:33 am

I'm thinking... She is getting to be a little queen bee. I'd better go to PetSmart today and pick up more soft food. She will probably demand some every day even after she gets nice and muscular again.

She came all the way up to the house this morning. I had forgotten the food can affraid and had to run back for it. Well... She walked with me just to be sure I was doing the right thing. Today's flavor was beef in gravy, so all was forgiven I think. She does like the stew beef, but seems to eat the canned food better. I'm wondering if maybe she had some teeth damaged in her big fight. It just seems like she has to work too hard at the chopped up beef. I could give her hamburger I guess -- or grind the stew beef. But, I'm not sure that's realistic for me. I'm going to the store today. I'll ask if they have beef scraps from their store-ground beef. Maybe that will do.

I called the discount clinic today, but they are not open on Fridays. I'll call again on Monday morning. I think she's strong enough now to at least be seen for initial treatment. They do spay/neuter, shots, worming, etc. I'm pretty sure they can look at her ear too. It's looking much better, but it never hurts to get a vet's opinion.

bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:25 am

Maybe she is ok with the crunchies, but was covering them up so that no one else would get them. A couple of my cats try to cover their food for later--a thankless task on a laminated floor.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Bijoux does that sometimes gbste! Funny to watch him paw at the floor air-burying his food dish.

Maybe Tippi has a sore tooth, and lots of chewing makes it hurt. Canned food is much easier to chew than even lil chopped pieces of beef. The vet can probably tell you for sure after a general exam. She sounds like she feels much much better than when she first found you. I think you have a princess-friend for life here.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I bought the big box of canned food today. She's eating a whole can every day and looks much better. She's still wasp-waisted, but at least she has lots of energy. I am going to call the clinic Monday morning and hopefully bring her in Tuesday morning. That way I can pick her up on Tuesday afternoon.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Antonio did that over Thanksgiving when I gave him some
turkey. It was really funny to watch.

At the rate she's going she won't be that way much
longer.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:52 pm

And you can get her in before kitten season. At least with a wasp waist so far you know she isn't already expecting.............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Definitely no kittens in there now. She's all ribs and spine. But, I was petting her sides today and I think she's starting to put on just a little flesh. Slow and steady is the way to go with that. I don't want to bloat her all up and have her get sick. She's chowing down like crazy and singing for breakfast and dinner, so all is good in the eating department.

She followed me out to the pasture to let the horses out this morning. I fed her crunchies when Sabi had gone out and stood in there just to watch her. Gbste, you're right. She covers up her food for nap time. I rescued her bowl and she didn't get any shavings in it today. So, she had crunchy snacks for the day and didn't have to pick shavings out of the way. Silly kitty!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Not silly just prudent. Smile
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down