Poor boy G is right though. If he is still an intact tom
will your vet neuter at a cut rate.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Re: OUCH!

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

let us know if you're able to get close....i'm hoping the kitty will let ya close enough to at least tend the wounds a bit.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 pm

The kitty did let me walk right up to him. (Her? Can't tell at this point.) I think he's really hurt. It looks like whatever got him almost ripped his ear off. He has a horrible wound on the side of his head. His eyes are ok and his appetite is good. But, he's lying down and sleeping a lot. That's a sign of bad hurt. I walked up to him and he spoke. He let me put a betadine soaked cloth on his head and he kind of pushed into it. I think it felt good to get cleaned up a little. I got the stuff on the bad wound and the bite on his back.

He's curled up in the back corner of Sabi's stall. I put food and water there for him. He's smart... He went in Sabi's "non poop" corner, so his snacks should be ok, and Sabi is definitely careful about kitties. I will move the little one tomorrow because it's supposed to be cold and possibly snow. I want to put him in the hay stall since it's warmer in there.

If he improves, I'll check out a cut rate vet visit. There is a spay/neuter clinic in the next town, and they will do the surgery and shots for as little as $35. First order of business is to get the wound cleaned enough and him fattened up enough to make a trip. He seems pretty weak and WAY too skinny to me.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 am

If he did get beaten up by tom cats, it may have been that they were driving him away from a food source. That and a parasite load would account for his being thin. Sometimes irresponsible people drop their pet cats in feral colonies. White Kitty is lucky to have found a refuge.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 pm

White Kitty was lucky to have found a safe haven with you. I hope the lil guy pulls through so he can actually see the vet. Do those wounds look infected or are they too fresh for that? If that ear is a fresh wound, a vet could possibly stitch it back on now so it will heal back in place.

(((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Oh... The wound is old enough that it's definitely infected and not stitchable. It's draining, which seems good to me. The betadine treatment seems to have done some good. It looks cleaner and less swollen this morning. I'll treat it again tonight. Once he seems a bit stronger, I'll get some wormer from the vet. My vet uses a topical, so it won't upset his tummy. That should get him in good enough shape to get some treatment. I am just afraid of stressing him too much at this point. He seems quite delicate.

Gbste, I think you're right. This little guy is too calm around people to be a true feral kitty. I bet somebody dumped him on the corner where there's a huge feral population. Those kitties are nice to each other, but they're VERY territorial. I'm sure they would drive a dumpee away.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Which would explain why he's so torn up and so skinny too. Poor baby, how could anyone dump a nice kitty like that? Housekitties depend on us to take care of them, and most who've been housekitties since early kittenhood don't even know how to catch a mouse for food.

If the ear wound is too old to be stitched, what do you think the vet will do with it? I was thinking some permanent sutures to hold the ear cartilage in place, and let the skin grow back over the spot. At least the infection is draining, once it's done doing that it can heal.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:25 pm

They dump at feral colonies because they assume that someone is taking care of them.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 am

Well... He was good for his ear treatment last night -- a bit skittish, but that's probably good. Skittish means that he has more energy. He was sleeping in his corner this morning, but out when we let the horses out. I don't know if he needed a potty break or if he went out to enjoy the snow.

The ear is smelly. When I was treating it, I got a full noseful of the infection smell. Poor kitty! The swelling is down, but it's definitely something a vet should see. Unfortunately, there's no way to get antibiotics into him, so I don't know what to do except treat with topical antibiotic solution when I see him. I got to lift him a little yesterday. He's all ribs. But, he was good about being handled. That's a good sign for a future trip to the vet. I hope I'll see him again tonight. Maybe I'll lift him again and look to see if he is really a HE.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 am

That's great that you can hand him. I think the topical will help slow the
infection and a steady source of meals and a safe place to stay will also
help him build up his immune system. One thing I might suggest is when he
does she a vet see if he is micro chipped.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 am

If he will let you do it, a compress of warm water w/ Epsom salts dissolved in it will help the infection. Of course, the area then needs to be wiped off w/ plain water. If he licks off Epsom salts, it is a laxative.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm

The vet can give him an injection of antibiotics, but I don't know if you can continue that without having him confined somewhere in the house. Shots would make any kitty very skittish and maybe run off before he's better.

It's very good that you can handle him, shows he's still a tame kitty and hasn't been on his own too long. How's his appetite?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 pm

His appetite is great. He chows down whenever I put food in the bowl. I hope he's getting enough to drink. I put water out, but it's cold. I wish I could keep the water warm. He could jump on the horse trough and drink if he were stronger. I keep a heater in that bucket. But, I guess he is ok. He isn't complaining.

He went on short adventures today. He was sleeping in the corner of Sabi's stall when I fed at 5:00 AM (I HATE THAT HOUR OF THE MORNING!). When I went in to let horses out for the day at 6:30, he was gone. He had returned when my husband got home from work.

Thanks for the Epsom salts suggestion, gbste. I have lots and lots of that because I use it for hoof abscesses. It's inexpensive and mild. I'm sure the little guy will love the warm feeling. I will do that this weekend.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 pm

I'd forgotten about epsom salts. What you might try is putting out hot
water, with the cold it will cool enough to drink soon enough. Glad to hear
that his appetite is great. Sounds like he is well enough to explore his
surroundings. I don't think he will go far though. Amazed he has survived
this long, white cats are easy prey because of their color.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:02 am

Yesh. I've been putting out warm water. I don't boil it because I'm afraid it will stay too hot for too long, but nice warm water usually has a couple hours until it's stiff. (Remember Flower from Bambi? "Come on in! The water's stiff!")

I'm going to have to name this kitty. He was there this morning, sound asleep in his corner. Sabi seems to have given him that part of the stall. The shavings are completely untouched by horsey feet. When I was putting food in the stalls for the horses, I heard a loud MEOW. The white kitty was yelling for breakfast. I went and got the crunchies, and he kept meowing. I poured the food, and I got a modified kitty bump. He wanted to bang me with his head, but his ouchie ears didn't let him, so he gave me a shoulder/side rub. He just walked right along my leg. Then, he wouldn't chow down until I gave him a pat.

His ears are looking a LOT better. The bad one is cleaner and less swollen. I didn't get a sniff, but I sure hope they smell better. He's definitely stronger, so things are looking up.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 pm

I am overjoyed to hear he's improved so much already! How about naming him Casper (after the friendly ghost--if he is a boy that is)?
Any chance of a pic of this lil guy?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 pm

The little guy is a little GIRL as near as I can tell. I tried to sneak a peek while she was munching. I didn't get to look closely enough, but close enough to see what wasn't there. So, I am guessing she is a girl because the chance of a kitty in that shape being a neutered male is pretty low.

I got a warm epsom salt bath on the ear tonight. I got purrs in return. Some pus and smell came out, but overall, it's looking much better. It's still open so the yuck can come out, so I think we have a good chance for healing even without antibiotics. I am actually most worried about the weight issue. Her poor little hip bones are sharp and you can see/feel almost every bone. Her appetite is good, so I hope she will put on some pounds. I'll call the vet for some topical wormer next week.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm

i think white kitty needs a strong name....something like Faith (like we have Faith) ...of course there's always the white names..the first kitty i had had a name like Soapy or Sudsy (hey, i was a toddler i can't remember!)...or with the help he/she is getting from epson salts....Salty:)

Becky do you need some high calorie wet kitty food? would that put some weight on?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 pm

I have some leftover Science Diet A/D from when Gateway had his ulcers. That packed on the pounds really fast. Thanks for the reminder!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Your welcome. If you can chop up some stew beef
if you can.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:20 pm

How about Hope or Cassie (a variation of Casper) for a name? If she's eating like a horse but not putting on weight then your assessment of worms is spot on. A worming treatment will do her a world of good. Glad to hear she tolerated the epson salt compress treatment (probably felt good to her sore ears), and that it's working to clear up that infection. How loud were her purrs?

((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 am

The kitty moved today. I went into Sabi's stall to see her at breakfast time, and her water bowl was knocked over. I wonder if sabi bumped it and scared her. Then I went to put Curly Sue's food in her stall and found the kitty sound asleep where the food dish goes. I woke the kitty up and she came to see me so I could put Curly Sue's food in its place. I scooped up the kitty and put her in the hay stall along with her food and water dish. I put in 1/2 a can of the Science Diet A/D and she munched like she had never seen food before. Then, she went back near the stack of hay bales, made a little nest and went back to sleep. She seems to sleep a lot while she heals.

I think she's starting to show a little weight gain. It's only been a little while since she arrived, so I'm not so worried that it's just starting to show. I think she might be ok. The ear, while still a horrible wound, is looking a little better too. The flap of torn skin is falling off and the wound itself isn't as swollen. It still has a smell, but that isn't as wretched as it was. I think things are starting to look up.

Now onto names. I will have to ask her what she would like to be called. My husband suggested Tippy because she doesn't have ear tips. Shocked We will see. I'm sure she has a name in mind.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:16 pm

The sleeping is part of the healing. Since she is in a safe place she can sleep
the deep sleep of healing. Also since she was starving it takes time for her
body to adjust, coupled with the fact she is so sick. You're on the right track
with rest, good food, clean water and cleaning up the wounds.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 pm

i like the ideaof the hills science diet food. i sometimes get newsletters from them and they sometimes have coupon attatchments..if i can find any coupons for ya i'll let ya know. i know that food's not cheap but it does pack a lot of value in a little can!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks, Jeane. The A/D is prescription food that Gateway had to stimulate his appetite. It's really soft and pretty rich. I figure that since it's such high calorie stuff, I'd feed that to her until it's gone. I have 3 cans left. After that, it's kitten food until she shows some flesh over those bones. I think I will stick with the Science Diet kitten food because it is really good in the calorie/vitamin departments.

She moved back from the hay stall to Sabi's stall. I think she's making herself at home everywhere. My husband said that as he fed Sabi, the kitty walked between Sabi's feet and started to eat his food. I guess the appetite stimulant is working wonders. Sabi just looked at her. He seems very careful with his little pet.

I'm going out in a little while to clean her ear and to feed her the rest of the canned food. I guess she'll still be in Sabi's stall. That seems to be her favorite place even though she enjoyed the hay and was sound asleep in Curly Sue's stall.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum