OUCH!

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OUCH!

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am

Poor Petie... He came to the neighbor's house a couple days ago limping badly. He has adopted them because their kitties don't mouse. So, he's installed himself as head mouser in their barn. Since he's such a barn kitty, he's territorial, and he scraps with the local feral population if they come too close. Well... He's getting up in years, and he lost the most recent battle. He doesn't have too many cuts and scrapes, BUT he has an infected joint on his back leg. The vet gave us some pretty strong antibiotics that he has to take for 3 weeks.

He is in the house for his treatment time, and he doesn't seem too upset by the idea. He's using his box, eating from bowls, and not complaining about the lack of mouse meat. He is still limping, but the vet said he might not show improvement for a while. He might even need to continue the drugs for a couple weeks after the initial 3 week treatment. Bacteria really like joints, and those infections are really bad if you don't get rid of them.

The only good thing about this is that this 3 week inside stint might be the way we talk him into retiring to the indoors. He is 14 after all.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: OUCH!

Post by gbste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:45 am

In my experience, lots of outdoor kitties take to the indoor life with no trouble at all. None of my rescued kitties are interested in going out. Once in awhile one will walk through an open door, (they are cats, after all, if a door opens, the cat constitution says you must walk through it.) but if they end up outside, they quickly retrace their steps. Maybe Petie will decide that it's ok to be "retired," and enjoy the comforts he's earned.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:46 pm

I agree with you G. That is an OUCH of major OUCHES!!!!. "HEALING VIBES" to Petie along with
"Time to Retire" vibes.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:00 pm

YESH...prayers for Petie...! I imagine the bacteria like the joints because of all the hidey places found therein... Suspect
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Are the other cats respecting Petie's age and infirmity?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:11 am

It's quiet so far. GK and Petie have a longstanding argument, and refuse to acknowledge each other without growls and hisses. But, when Petie was exploring yesterday, GK just stared at him. This morning, Petie ventured downstairs and ate in the kitchen with the other 2 kitties. There were no fireworks, so I think things might be ok.

We are keeping Petie in his room while we are not home just in case. He is improving a lot -- walking around the house and coming down the stairs. Going up the stairs is hard on his back leg, so we carry him. But, it's nice to see him getting better so quickly. I'm hoping he'll like being inside. He usually makes a bee-line for the door, and he hasn't done that yet, so maybe...
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Awwwww, poor Petie. I bet losing that battle was a blow to his ego. Maybe this will turn out to be a good thing, just what he needed to decide to retire indoors. I hope he decides to stay inside. 14 is pretty old to be outside in all sorts of weather, even for a barn kitty. Gk probably could see he was hurting and limping, so no big threat at the time. We'll see about when he gets even better, hope GK will let Petie stay in the house without too many squabbles. Happy the other two accepted Petie well enough at breakfast.

Very glad to hear the leg is healing so well. Don't be fooled though, bacteria can be sneaky, and just when you think they're gone the infection comes back with a vengeance.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Progressing well. We have not had any GK/Petie growling. They look at each other, but seem to have an agreement to just ignore each other. Petie is currently on the chair near the wood stove. It's supposed to go down to the teens tonight, and it's windy. I don't think he's upset by being inside. He looks very happy asleep on his chair.

His walk has improved so much in just a couple days. He's almost putting his whole foot on the floor. He still is limping, but not nearly as badly. He will definitely finish his whole 3 weeks of antibiotics, and if he still has a limp, we'll give him more. The vet said I could just call for more if I think he isn't better. He trusts me to know my kitties, which is nice. I won't have to pay for another office visit just to get a medicine refill.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Glad to hear that Petie is progressing well. If the fireworks haven't
started by now then things my stay calm for the future. As for your vet
isn't great to have a vet like that. I can't say enough kind words about
mine. How is OK by the way? Haven't heard anything about him in a while.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 pm

I am so glad Petie is progressing so well, and no fireworks. In time maybe GK will accept having Petie around and pal around with him. If not, ignoring each other is acceptable I guess as long as they're not ripping into each other.

How is OK? It's been months since we had an update...............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 am

I don't hold much hope for friendship between GK and Petie, but I think they'll ignore each other. They are kind of just staring and going in opposite directions now. Petie is venturing around the house now and I haven't seen any evidence of fights. I think they are just as happy being in separate areas of the house.

GK is fine. He wasn't around a lot during the big snow, but he's been a regular the past couple of weeks. He must have a house somewhere or somewhere really good to hang out. He is not skinny at all and is tremendously fluffy. His old neck sore is finally all healed up and his limp hasn't come back with the frigid temps. Somebody is treating him well.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 pm

tolerating isn't bad. the Rescue Kitties sister and brothers STILL hiss at each other sometimes and chase each other around. But when Ms Puff was down here she just attacked everyone. so hissin' isn't so bad...and just giving the eye isn't bad at all!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:44 pm

That's what I think. Petie is sleeping on my bed tonight. That's usually GK's spot, but he generously gave it up so Petie could sleep there. GK did go in and see Petie, but he just walked away, so I think we will have peace if not friendship.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 pm

I think give GK extra shnuggles, just in case he's feeling a bit martyr-ish. cat
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Yeah, good idea Suzzzz. Sounds like they've called a truce if nothing else at this point. Good enough IMHO, better than all out kitty war.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm

I've been fussing over GK. He got his bed today and Petie is on the guest bed. I think they're sorting things out between them. I'm glad it's been quiet.

Petie is getting a lot better. He is still limping, but he puts his foot on the ground and takes some weight on it. He jumped off the armchair yesterday.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Glad to hear that he is mending so well. Hopefully it will continue to be a
peaceable kingdom.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Oh yes, it certainly sounds like Petie is very much on the mend and he and GK are almost done sorting out who gets what and where at what time. Eventually they might even become friends, if not close pals. Hopefully until you get to that point, peace will reign supreme.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 am

I think Petie is approaching inside acceptance. He hasn't darted for the door in days. Of course, his darting is slow and gimpy, but still... He isn't even really going towards the door. He seems happy to just shnuggle on the horizontal surfaces. His new spot is on a small chest that we have under a window upstairs. I folded up an old fleece jacket, and he is happy just lying on that and staring at his kingdom. He has the routine of taking his pill at night. At the right time, he goes to his pillow in the kitty holding room (that is now wide open, so it's just his litter box spot) and waits for the pill popper to appear. I think we have about 2 weeks of pills left, so this should become his new normal, and I'm sure he won't bat an eye if the pill time just becomes treat time.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 am

That's good to hear. Glad he is settling and thinking about
retirement.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I am so glad to hear Petie will finally have an indoor retirement. He's done enough mousing for any lifetime. Time for snuggles and treats in his old age. Very Happy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm so happy that Petie is accepting his new circs so well, Becky! Submitting peacefully to pill time? That's amazing. I can't say for sure, of course, but it seems possible to me that you may have an old soul on your hands who appreciates having found a safe home. Well, lol, we'll see how he acts when he's all better. Being an old soul doesn't make one an angel! Very Happy

Bless you both! I love you Keep us posted.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am

He definitely has his Petie spark despite being old. He is grouchy -- as good old kitties can be. He purrs a lot and asks for gentle pets, but he will gripe if he is lifted the wrong way or doesn't want to do something. The funniest part of that is he warns of upcoming growls by shaking his tail. He gets the tail twitch going and then... GRRRR. It isn't a threatening growl. It's just a complaint. I have to say that it's about the cutest thing I've seen from him in his grumpiness.

He really is an old soul even though 14 isn't THAT old for a kitty. He's been a barn kitty his whole life, so it is positively ancient for him. Most outside kitties don't make it much more than 3 - 5 years. My vet says he is in great shape for having had such an adventurous life. Besides his bum leg, he's in perfect kitty health. We will definitely see if he remains so mellow once his bum leg is all fixed. (My fingers are crossed!)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 am

(RETIREMENT VIBES))))) Ascot used to love being outside when he was younger and so
did my first cat. As they aged the house became more and more inviting.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 pm

(((((((((((((((((((HAPPY INDOOR RETIREMENT VIBES))))))))))))))))))

The tail shake warning sound so cute..........and a good thing he does that. You won't get bit without a lot of fair warning. Could it be if Petie isn't picked up just so he has arthritis pain and that's why he complains about it?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum