Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Your vets sound like great doctors.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Re: Senior doggy issues (Hildegard)...

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Any decent doctor welcomes other opinions, and you seem to have 2 of the best. It's like 2 pairs of eyes on the copy, looking for typos. One's gonna catch what the other one missed, no matter how careful they both are. (So speaks the office manager!) Among all of you, I can't imagine better care for our Hildy.

Exuberant younger dog + fragile older dog = tricky. You have to let them enjoy their lives and companionship while keeping them safe and (in Georgia's case) somewhat contained. Your girls are so lucky to have such mindful parents. The walk on the river sounds beautiful!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:47 pm

How is our dear Hildy doing since the weather has turned so nasty all over?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 am

Thank you, all you dear Mutties, for your kind support.
Hildy has her ups and downs. Sometimes she's doing really good and can play and no accidents and other times, she is very fragile and accidents in the house and lately, she is starving. No matter what food we buy, she is starving and it's never enough. She is also very thirsty a lot. She has a re-check of her thyroid tomorrow and we'll ask about diabetes, etc. Something is seriously going on with our girl.

We took the doggies out to the woods on Sunday and I gave her extra pain pills and she was able to play (and even run a little!) with Georgia Rose. We all had a great time and we are going to take them out as much as we can while she is still having fun.

I will keep you posted!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:06 am

(((((((((((HUGS OF COMFORT)))))))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Many prayers and good thoughts for you and Hildy, Mockingbird. My elderly Shop Dog is dealing with old age problems, too, and I know how difficult it can be. Is Hildegard on steroids? They often make one ravenous and thirsty.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:25 pm

With those symptoms I'd also be asking about Cushings'. With Cushings your body makes too much natural steroid and it does this to you. Extra hungry but still losing weight, extra thirsty, seemingly couldn't get enough of either......exactly what my Nicki Sue showed before her diagnosis of Cushings. She was about 16 at the time.

I will be praying for you and Hildy. ((((((((((((((((HUGS AND STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Hildy has another vet appointment tomorrow morning. Fiffur, I've looked up Cushing's and am definitely going to ask about that. It sure sounds like Hildy. Thank you! I'll let you know what happens.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:16 pm

((((HUGS PRAYERS AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS)))))))))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Not a good vet visit, dear Mutties. Hildy still has blood in her urine, so a sample has been sent out to a larger testing facility and two different antibiotics for her now. I did ask about Cushing's, fiffur, but the vet said we needed more tests done before that one. The test for Cushing's is very expensive and an all-day long thing and while I do agree that she has a lot of the symptoms, those symptoms she does have could be her thyroid causing it as well and her thyroid is still low. The vet wants to rule out other things before we take that big step for the test.

I felt like a ding-dong at the vet, though. I am stressed, dear friends. My sweet husband is deploying for a year in the next few months and with all this stuff going on with Hildy and having so many deaths in our family this year and wondering who is going to be left when Joshua comes back...it's really rough. And on top of that, I love my job, but I feel as though I'm never on top of things in our own house...something I am working on now before the deployment. (at least it's not to Iraq or Afghanistan!) We were barely married 2 weeks when we got Hildy and we will be married 13 years in December. She has been with us for every move, every deployment, everything. She may not make it through this deployment and I know I will feel lost without her. I love Desperado and Georgia Rose (and the ratties!) but Hildy...she's my girl and it's breaking my heart to know she is starting to turn the last corner. I ended up crying (again) at the vets and I even was snippy with one of the techs and the vet. I apologized to them both and they said it was ok (I didn't yell or anything, but I clearly was frustrated.) I talked the vet afterwards and she is concerned about me because I've cried the last 3 visits. I don't cry at home...but I think just sitting in that room, waiting for test results, nothing else to distract me, just me and Hildegard, it gives me too much time to think. I will bring a magazine next time.

Anyway, it's been a rough day. Afterwards, I took her to PetsMart for treats and she did lose her balance twice and had to sit down. Sad Oh, dear friends, this is so hard...however, she did give and get a lot of love and made many people smile. One young man who appeared to have Down's Syndrome really loved her and he also showed me the two dogs he had with him. Hildy was so sweet with him...she just knows the people who need extra loves.

Thank you so much for giving me a place and dear hearts to get all this out. I'm crying now, just thinking of it all...which I don't normally do because I just can't afford to. *sigh* We may go ahead and go see Dr. Beatie if we don't get any answers. I don't blame Dr. Bragg...it's just hard to figure out when it could be several different things, but we just can't keep paying and not getting to the bottom of things. She said that things are going to start happening faster with Hildy, she is very old, and I just don't know if my heart can keep up. Sad

What a crummy day, really.

Last edited by mockingbird on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 pm

I know how you feel, Elizabeth. My Bullet ( a Shih Tzu) is 13 years old and he is really feeling his age these days. It so sad when pets get old. Sad

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:52 pm

How are you feeling today?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Angels only get to stay with us for short time, Elizabeth. They get us through what they're sent to get us through, and then they leave us. All we can do is our best for them while they're here and be grateful for the time we're given. But, oh, it's hard! To be graced by the divine and then have to give it up? The love endures, yes, but to part with the presence... we humans are not good at that sort of wrench. I'm especially sorry you may have to deal with it on your own.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:21 pm

My heart aches for you Elizabeth. Seems like everything is going wrong all at once. We are here for you, I just wish Joshua wasn't deploying right now. Is there anyone near you you can lean on? I know Desi and Georgia Rose will be there for you but I also know it's not quite the same as a human to lean on. ((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I don't know what test for Cushings your vet had in mind, but my Nicki Sue had a blood test for excess steroid and it was nearly off the scale, so no doubt about the Cushings for her. She was too old for surgery, and the stress of multiple blood tests to go on meds for it was too much for her too. She was the last of her litter.....16 1/2, when she left me.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you so much, dear Mutties.
I am afraid we are already turning the last corner of our journey with our Hildy. Crying or Very sad
Her back leg muscles have atrophied, she is continuing to lose weight, and she has almost lost complete control of her bowels. Crying or Very sad The Rimodyl (not sure on spelling) isn't working anymore and the only option left is steroids, which will cause liver damage long-term, but we just don't have long-term with her anymore. I'm still waiting for the last test to come back from Dr. Bragg, but I am taking her in tomorrow to our regular vet. Dr. Bragg was wonderful for us for the ratties, but it's turned out not to be a good match-up for care for Hildegard, after all.

All the area's vets were booked and double booked tomorrow, but the vet we take Desperado and Georgia Rose to called me back and I explained the situation. She said she will make room for Hildegard in her schedule and we are going in at 9:45 in the morning. The vet's office is only 5 minutes away from our home. We will see what we can do, if anything.

Joshua isn't deployed yet but has been away for a week training and will be home next week. It's so hard, because she still seems happy to be here, wants to play (even with her staggery back-end), and seems so bright spirited. Then I read on a thread in a German Shepherd site that sometimes, pets will hold on and behave that way because they know their people need them. Crying or Very sad I don't want Hildy to force herself to be "ok" because she knows I need her. I do, but I don't want her to stay longer than she should because of me.

I was sitting here at the computer, crying my eyes out just now, knowing that things are going to start happening faster than I expected. I had the door shut and was just bawling, when I heard a "MEOW!" I opened the door and Desperado marched his kitty self in and jumped in my lap, even with me still crying. He is sitting, purring in my lap, right now. I cried more and hugged his purry self. He is my comfort kitty.

I've never been through a deployment without her, but I've got to start believing I can make it through with Georgia Rose and Desi and the ratties (as long as they can) so Hildy can know I'll be ok.

We are not going to let Hildegard decline into the very dust, dear friends. She needs to retain her dignity and when she has an accident (she has nerve disease in her back-end and often doesn't even know she's had an accident because she'll have on in bed) I just calmly clean it up and take her outside and pet her and tell her "I know, Hildy...I know" very gently. It's stressing Georgia Rose out because she knows this isn't supposed to be happening, so I pet her this morning before work and said "Hildy...I know" over and over and told Georgia she was a good girl (and Hildy, too.) Georgia very gently touched her tongue to my hand. I hugged her and said "good girl" over and over.

I'm crying again, and here is Desperado, still. Hildegard is so deaf now that I'm sure she can't hear me, but she'll be able to feel my distress so I am staying in this room until I can go out and be ok and just love her.

Please, please, please, hold my hand Mutties.
I do need all of you to see me through this.

I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.
Promise.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Consider your hand held and a huge hug to go along with it. Love and prayers to you and
all in your family. I love you Like a Star @ heaven
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 pm

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))) Bij and I are both holding your hand Elizabeth.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 pm

My love is with you, Elizabeth, and with Hildy.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Thank you, sweet friends.
Well, we've put Hildy on Prednisone (steroid.) We didn't want to put her on steroids and held out as long as we could. Long term, it causes liver damage. We've come to terms that we don't have long-term with our old girl. The doctor said that she is in pain (she examined her and it was obvious that Hildy was in pain) and that she was holding off going poop until she just couldn't hold it any more. Crying or Very sad So, she is on a higher dosage of the low-narcotic and is on the Prednisone to hopefully calm down the inflamation in her hips.

The vet was optomistic that it would help and that we would be able to help her be more comfortable.
I was very proud of myself that I didn't cry and was able to go through the visit without breaking down.

I thought of this place and you dear hearts and it did help me through, that, and a magazine to help distract me.
Thank you and I will let you know how she does.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Saw your post on FB I love you I love you I love you I love you Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Arthritis is a terrible thing to have.............I hope the new meds are making Hildy more comfortable. Are they?
((((((((((((((strong healing vibes and hugs))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

She's not doing very well, fiffur. She's really gone down hill in the last couple of days. I don't think it was taking her off the Rimadyl that did it...I think she is starting to let go.

I read where dogs (especially very protective breeds, like German Shepherds) will stay longer than is good for them and act like they are fine, if they think their people still need them. I cried and cried...and then I laid down with Hildy and had a long talk to her and told her I'd be ok. I don't want her to stay just for me (although I was hoping she'd live forever...I know she can't.)

The next day we saw the doctor.

Just a few days later, she is really starting to look old and you could knock her over with a feather. I've put down foamy shelf lining on the tiles so she doesn't fall down (she did a couple of times before I could go out and get it.) Crying or Very sad It's really helped her balance, but I think she is heading around her last bend in the road, friends.

We are taking her out this weekend down to the river where she loves to play. She can't walk down from where we park to the river, so we are probably going to just drive all the way down and just let her get to the river...at least one more time.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm

((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))) I think you're right about that last bend in the road.....I'm crying as I type this.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm

****hoping Hildy is having a good time down at the river, all things considered****
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Thank you so much, fiffur, and everyone.
It's been a wild few weeks and actually, today was the day we decided to have her put to final rest.
However, please follow this link to what is happening now (if you are not on Facebook with me.)
Come, celebrate with us, while the sun is shining and the birds are singing!

http://www.wildgooseberry.com/?p=1400

sunny
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next