Georgia Rose training (update!)...

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Georgia Rose training (update!)...

Post by mockingbird on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 am

Well, the thing that makes me nervous is our trainer did say "I can't promise it will go well." Because they are dogs, there are no quarantees about this. He will do his best to protect everyone, but I just don't know what to expect. He knows those aggressive dogs are still a problem, so hoping we get to practice greeting with Luna (a sweet doggy) or Sally (a German Shepherd Puppy). The only two other dogs are the problem ones. Murphy, a Great Dane puppy, hasn't been to class in two weeks. He also has dogs of his own, so maybe we'll practice with them? I don't like not knowing what to expect with things like this...

He does love Georgia Rose, though, and I know he won't intentionally let her get hurt, but that risk is there, so I don't think my nervousness is unfounded, dear Mutties. (Thank you pupskweek for understanding this, and all of you for thinking of us.) One of the aggressive dogs almost bit Georgia Rose a couple of weeks ago. She came right for her face, but the owner pulled her back, completely embarrassed. It didn't even phase Georgia at all, but almost made me pass out with the "what if"s. The male of those two dogs seems to be doing better, but the female is really a problem. I think they need more assertive training than PetsMart is willing to give.

Anyway, we'll see about tomorrow. Joshua will be with me again (he has been every week since the second class) and that does make me feel better.

Wish us luck, and pray for us!

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 pm

((((((((((((((((((STRONG GOOD LUCK VIBES))))))))))))))))))))) for tomorrow's class. Will be thinking of you and Georgia Rose.......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 am

Joshua's not going to be able to go after all, so it's just me and Georgia Rose.
We've talked a lot about this, and he seems to think it will be fine (we're not worried about our doggy, just what will happen with those aggressive dogs and who Georgia is going to be meeting.)

I'll let you know how it goes.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:22 pm

oh that would be a good idea if all the dogs got to meet the trainers dogs. those does would be good examples i'm sure!
Waiting to hear how things went;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Everything went really well today. *whew!*
There weren't any other dogs besides the student doggies. We started out with putting the dogs in a "sit, stay" and the trainer came up, shook our hand and then asked to pet the dogs. The dogs had to stay in the sit, stay for the whole encounter. Georgia Rose did really good. Even the aggressive dogs did well with this! We all applauded the aggressive doggies.

For the greeting of other dogs, he showed us the stance for us and we took turns greeting some of the other dogs. Georgia Rose greeted (nose touched) Sally, the German Shepherd puppy. The female of the aggressive doggies was not invited to greet other dogs, as she is pretty much a given that she'll attack. I was really relieved over that whole thing.

All the dogs are making progress, even the trouble ones.

I'm glad this week's class is over, though.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 pm

I am so happy, and relieved, that greeting class went so well for you and Georgia Rose! Very Happy I had no doubt she'd do well, but wasn't sure about the other dogs in the class.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Great report, Mockingbird! Georgia Rose is a Peach! I'm almost as proud of her as I am of you. I know it wasn't easy for you to walk into that training room, sweetheart, but you did it. Good girl! *pats head* Razz Actually, I'm giving you a ((big hug)) and saying *whew* along with you!

My faith in your trainer is justifed. He took y'all through some difficult scenarios and put no one in danger. I really respect him for being willing to work with troubled dogs, and also for not asking flowers like Georgia to be their guinea pigs. My heart goes out to those aggressive dogs; they must have histories most of us would rather not contemplate. I'm grateful they've found owners who are willing to work with them, and a good trainer who's willing to help. My hope is that those owners & dogs will go on to grad school and find their way to peace.

What's on tap for next class? You must be near the end of the course now.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 am

YAY GEORGIA ROSE AND MOCKINGBIRD!!!! Another notch in your belt! Way to go, girls! I'm so happy it turned out so well--keep up the good work-- cheers
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Thank you all, dear Mutties, for the cheering on! I am extremely proud of our little Georgia Rose, and so is Joshua. He will miss the rest of the classes from here on out due to overseas duty, but I'm so glad he was there to see her in action, rather than having me tell him about it. Georgia is incredibly sweet, but she does get on Joshua nerves at times. We thought he'd be such a doggie person, turns out he gets along better with Desperado-kitty. Anyway, our little red houndy has impressed him big time, and he is much more patient with her now.

This week we'll be doing review of things we've learned already. I think this is week 6, only two more classes to go! I'll be ready to be done, although it's been a valuable experience.

Tomorrow, I'm taking Hildegard to PetsMart to get Desperado a new window seat. She hasn't been in a long time, and I know our trainer would love to meet her. He used to train police dogs in San Francisco and they were almost all German Shepherd Dogs. The weather here is absolutely beautiful now and I thought Hildy and I would take a walk around the Historic District in Savannah, while we're there. Just will have to sneak out while Georgia Rose isn't looking (I can't handle them both right now.)

Will let you know how it this week goes! And yes, I agree about Bob (the trainer) being willing to work with the aggressive dogs. They will need another class, he's already told them, a little more intensive lessons, but they have actually improved a lot since the first day when they were trying to attack everyone else.

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 pm

I was at PetSmart today and saw some people signing up for doggie classes. I thought immediately of Georgia Rose. The doggies here were mostly pit bulls, and I was surprised at how loving and gentle they were. I know they aren't all scary, aggressive dogs, but they were still surprising. The trainer did mention that many times pit bulls can benefit from the more advanced class since they can be a handful if they get worked up. The pups were signing up for the intro class.

Keep up informed about your next classes. It's really neat to hear about all the learning.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm so glad you and Hildy are planning a little me-time together, Elizabeth. Lots of focus on Desi and Georgia lately (with good reason, of course!) but sometimes the good girl gets left out of the loop, just because she's so good. I think that goes for you as much as Hildy. You need a peaceful outing like this as much as she does. Have fun, you two! I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:54 pm

I am also glad to hear you plan on some one-on-one together time with Hildy. Our girl might be kinda old, but she still needs time with her momma to be truly happy. Enjoy the walk!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the update, Mockingbird--one of the good things about training class is getting them around other dogs. I don't like to go to the off-leash dog park because there are too many big dogs that are not being properly controlled, and they get diseases spread too. It's a shame. Lucie could use the socialization with other dogs but she won't get it now, and it's been 9 years since she was in the class (also at PetSmart) oh well. When my husband goes into the hospital I am going to stay with my friend who has Lucie's sister and we will have a good time then, you betcha!
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Well, I was a week off! Next week is the last week.
In a way, I'm ready to be done. It's a struggle to get to the store on a Sunday afternoon
in Savannah. Usually lots of traffic (well, obviously not as much as larger towns, but still, plenty enough
to make the going slow.) I will miss the other doggies, though, and their people. There are some nice folks
in the class with us.

Today was review day. We each had to choose one of the skills we worked on in class to demonstrate. We were the first
ones to go (I volunteered so I didn't have to be nervous for long!) We demonstrated "wait at the door". I forgot a couple of points,
but he said we did a great job. I think so, too. Even Dozer and Macy (the more aggressive dogs) did good on their skills.

We also played "Doggy musical chairs" where we walked to the music and when Bob (trainer) stopped the music, our dogs had to sit. If they didn't sit, they were "out". It finally got down to just us and Jennifer/Luna. When he stopped the music, Georgia was sitting, but Luna was quicker and she won the squeaky toy prize! I was so happy for Jennifer as Luna has come a long way. I congratulated them and Jennifer was so happy and amazed that her dog won. Yay, Luna!

And yay for Georgia Rose and all of them. They've all come a long way.

Graduation next week! Very Happy
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:15 pm

The class sounds wonderful and the trainer just a gem.
I gather you all had fun to boot.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm

That is so much fun!! I can hardly wait for graduation!! Give Georgia a big hug for us!!
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm

what? there wasn't a second prize in the musical dogs??

hope you get to take some pics during graduation..i'd like to see that!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Sounds like a great class for everyone! Georgia might not have gotten that squeaky toy, but you and she certainly get a Gold Star! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Very Happy Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:42 pm

I second that emotion! Georgia Rose is our lil star! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Is it graduation time yet? I second the request for pictures..........
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes, I want to see a picture of Georgia Rose at graduation. I can picture her: cap and cape on with diploma toy in her mouth.............smiling for the camera.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum