Georgia Rose training (update!)...

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Georgia Rose training (update!)...

Post by mockingbird on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 am

Hello, dear Mutties.
Well, I haven't said anything before now, but our Georgia Rose has been signed up since November to start beginning obedience classes today. We're going to PetsMart and she's getting their best instructor. Usually, the day his class list comes out, he's full, so we had to hop on it. I'm nervous because I wanted Joshua to be there with us, but he's doing National Guard training right now (not away, just at Ft. Stewart.) So, it'll be just me and the pup. I don't know what to expect...will she bark at everyone? Most likely. Will she be so excited that she just loses it? Possibly. She's never been around a lot of people or any other dogs since we've had her. I don't know what her reaction will be, but I'm trying not to be nervous so she doesn't pick up anxiety from me.

Well, if she does lose it, I'll just say "That's why we're here." Razz

She's a sweet little dog and a clever and smart one as well. I'm hoping all that will prevail over her excitement. She's never been in any other building (besides the vet's office) and we will have to go through "magic" automatic doors. I remember when I first took Hildegard to PetsMart and she saw those for the first time. It took a little while for her to go in! She didn't know what to think about that.

Our class starts at 1 o'clock, Eastern Time. Wish us luck, dear friends! I'll let you know how it goes later.

Last edited by mockingbird on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Georgia Rose training (update!)...

Post by BobCat on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Good luck! How old is she now? Consistency is the key, I believe, in training a dog. They don't process mixed signals well - and who does, come to think of it?
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:53 pm

You and Georgia will be so pleased, Bird!!! It makes all the difference with our little dog friends--and I really believe they love it too. Have a good time and take it easy, it's going to be great! (Lucie agrees)
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:49 pm

"That's why we're here" ..... no matter how this first day went, hold that thought! Very Happy Georgia is smart, happy and eager to please, a perfect candidate for training. She may be as bewildered as you are at first, but the instructor expects that and will show you BOTH what to do over the next few weeks. I'm SO glad you're doing this! By the end of the course, you and Georgia will both be confident in what's expected of you and how to make it happen. Trust that, do your "homework" faithfully, and hang in there!

How did it go today?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 pm

i bet you saw all kinds of folks and pooches there.....they're all there for the same purpose.
bet there was a LOT of barking and jumping and cowering behind the people holding the leashes.
keep us updated on how the classes go:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm

So how did it go? I imagine Georgia Rose was surprised by the automatic doors, all the other people, the other dogs, and all those interesting smells in the store.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Your Georgia probably did fine. ARNI always has its Pet Rallies set up near the training area and both the dogs & their owners seemed to always have a good time Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Hope you and Georgia had fun
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:12 am

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you, dear friends.
Well, the day didn't start out so well for us on Sunday. I was going to
trim Georgia Rose's nails and give her a bath. I've trimmed their nails a hundred
times and have never cut too short. Well, of all days to do it, I did it then. Poor little dog.
I cut her nails, and a few are black so it's hard to see the quick, but I've always been careful.
One looked a little too long, still, so I trimmed again. Instead of trimming just a little (because I already
had trimmed it) I trimmed it the same length I just did! Oh! Little Georgia Rose just said "Yipe!" and then looked
at me sadly and gently licked my cheek, once. Sad So, I was sitting on the floor hugging her and crying, and she
was licking my hand and it was just awful. I felt SO bad. *sigh*

I couldn't get it to stop bleeding. She bled and bled and bled, for two hours. It was Sunday, and the vet's was closed,
but I didn't think it was an emergency to call them in (we have 24 hour on-call at this vet). On our way to Savannah, I
stopped by the store and got some of that liquid bandage stuff. It helped a lot, but when we walked in, she was still dripping. It
was just like a water drip from a faucet, only bright red. Poor pup.

We got there and found out we were with 8 other dogs. Georgia is the oldest in the group, only one is a year old! Georgia Rose will be 5 around April. 3 of these others are agressive. I told the trainer right away about Georgia's foot and he got some stuff from the vet's in the store to dip her nail in and it
stopped and hasn't bled since. He said he understood about what happened and didn't think I was terrible.

We mostly listened while he talked that first class. Georgia was very good, but I was nailed for "coddling" her. Oh, yes, dear Mutties! It's true. Embarassed I know it's not good for her, I want her to feel confident. But she's had such a rough start in life. I told them her story when it was my turn to introduce us. The instructor told me I had a few higher rungs in my ladder to heaven for rescuing her. That was sweet. He seemed to really like both of us, so I think we'll be ok. I'm prepared for being corrected a lot, though. Hildy is at the point where we just tell her something and it's done. We don't have to train her anymore. It's been so long since I have been in that beginning point with her that I do need help with Georgia Rose. She deserves the benefit Hildegard has had from training.

The instructor is the head manager for all the dog training for PetsMart in the whole Southeast Region. He has been training for 23 years and mostly in California with police dogs. He's worked with the man who is now the Dog Whisperer, about 17 years ago. I think we are in good hands.

Right now, we are working with a clicker and associating the click with a treat. Then I have a hand signal to get her to look at my eyes. The next class, he said we'll do leash work and be out on the floor. I'm not looking forward to that, but it has to be done.

She did pull all the way into the store, was too excited to be worried about the doors and before we left, slipped her collar. She now has what's called a Martingale collar, which greyhounds and other dogs with small necks use. Next week, Joshua will be with us. I really could have used the help this week, so I'll be glad to have him with us for next class.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and support, dear friends. I have to keep reminding myself what a wild beast Hildegard was before training. Georgia's a lot more in control than Hildy was, and now Hildy is a wonderfully behaved dog who we can walk anywhere. There's plenty of hope for our Georgia Rosie!

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 am

I remember that stop-quick powder from back in the day when we had pet birds. You'd have to trim their little nails too, and with tiny birds, there's no time to lose if they begin to bleed, so that was a staple in our household for years. Thankfully, we never had to use it. When we took our Grommit to the vet for his very first puppy visit, the tech trimmed a nail too short and it bled. We NEVER were able to hold his front feet ever again. I'm so sorry that your poor pup (and you too) had such a bad experience with the trimming.

Sounds like the class went well though - we always caught hell from the instructors for coddling too, and even though ours didn't have the rough start yours did, we always felt that they were good, true little souls and didn't deserve rough treatment, since they give us nothing less than true love. Of course, they also need direction...raising kids is tough, isn't it?
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm

I have a good feeling about your class, you are in very good hands. And next week Georgia's short nail won't hurt so much either. Did you get a vial of that Stop-Quik powder, just in case you trim a bit too short again? It's like a stiptic pencil, only powdered. Works on other stuff too like cuts.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:10 pm

yeah its a good thing to have .,,,i don't know if its the samew, but you can get it at the regular drug store and humans can use it!

and give yourself time....you'll learn its okay to do things like say a really strong NO! Smile
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan A on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Oh E! I think you may be among the critical mass of coddlers! When I took my girls to obedience class, I must have been tagged with that about a zillion times.

What I do know, however, is that doggies NEED for someone (not them) to be boss. It's their security. You guys are doing a good thing. It can only help her please you - which is all a doggie wants to do anyway. And I'll bet she's forgotten all about that toe thing.
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Why am I just seeing this??? Wow! I am falling behind in my Mutting.

I think you are tremendously brave for taking Georgia Rose to training all by yourself, and despite being a cuddler (Laughing), I think it sounds like a success.

Do you think Georgia Rose would do well with one of those PediPaws things? I use one on my kitties, and it really is much easier on them than the clippers. But, if Georgia Rose would be scared of the buzzing sound or uncomfortable putting her little toesies in the hole, it might not the the tool for her.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:15 am

i've always wondered how those things worked! thought they were like the little sanders you use on wood..but you put the nail in something and that's what controls how far it 'trims'?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 am

bpaquet wrote:Why am I just seeing this??? Wow! I am falling behind in my Mutting.

I think maybe this got missed because it was in the Members' & Furry Friends' Special Events - which is mainly for birthdays, posts, and other special news about our lives. I moved it to the Tell Us About Your Furkids section, because I know that area gets more traffic with these everyday events.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Coddlers???? I've never heard of such a thing--how can it be wrong for your dog? Our trainer emphasized lots and lots of love and petting. Sounds like coddling, huh? I don't like the dog whisperer--he worries too much about the human psychology. Our Lucie was kinda funny in training--she does not like treats, yesh!! It's true. So we had to do all the training just with love. However---she learned really well on the leash and still feels better if she has her leash on--that's what I do in thunderstorms and stuff. Lucie is a little strange....
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 am

Thank you for moving this, Bobcat. I went to the other forum and couldn't find it, but here it was! I thought later I should have posted in this one, but it *was* a special event for us, so it was able to be in both places! Thank you for moving it where it will get more attention.

As far as the nail trimming goes, there usually is no problem with trimming her. She is really good about it (better than Hildegard, but German Shepherds are funny about their feet anyway). The problem was that I was in a hurry and didn't stop to think. I have retrimmed their nails before, but I only take a little bit off. Instead, I basically trimmed it completely twice, and took too much off the second time. But she is recovered, actually, she never had any problem with it such as limping or anything, but I'm glad that last week was not very active for the doggies, just in case she was still sore.

As for coddling, he is not the first one to say it. Embarassed Joshua (sweet husband for those who may not know) is always saying it, but I'm the Mama! (I say in return.) When I took Hildegard for training years ago, I was told I had a "very spoiled baby" for a dog. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed *sigh* Georgia still gets PLENTY of loves, as does everyone else, but he's kind of right...I may have overdone it a little. We were both feeling nervous last week and I petted her constantly (probably more for my benefit than hers) and that's why that comment was made, probably. I looked around and no one else was petting their dog. Maybe (as Joshua suggested) these folks were frustrated with their dogs and didn't feel like petting them. Like I said before, there were several with behavior problems (aggression/fear). Georgia Rose needs to feel confident and not scared of places and all that and with me coddling, I'm giving her the message that it's ok to be scared. I've never seen the Dog Whisperer, but I have heard he gets good results, so I'll take what works for us, and leave what doesn't. Coddling isn't the same thing as cuddling, which our babies get plenty of. I love you (p.s...Joshua does accuse me of coddling, but then I say "Yes, I coddle everything, including you, and you like it!" he says nothing to that, and just laughs, because it's true. Laughing )

We've been working on our lessons this week. We are "loading the clicker" which means I make a clicky sound with the little clicker we were given, and give her a treat straight away. It's to associate a treat with the sound. The thing is, I have to close her kennel when working with her because she takes the treat and tries to run to her bed. I'll ask about that one, as I'm curious about that behavior. Then, we are working on getting her attention ("Georgia, watch me") which is kind of hard. She'll watch me, but then roll over on her back, so then I have to have her sit back up and "Georgia, watch me" and she watch me, but then lays down.

Hildy is put outside for these lessons, but I give her a treat to take with her.

It was the best thing I ever did for Hildegard when I took her to training. She is a wonderfully behaved dog and we always get compliments whenever we take her out. Little Georgia Rose deserves that benefit, but I'm afraid it may be a long road ahead of us. We'll get there, though. Hildy was trained without treats as well, pupskweek, which I prefer, but that man isn't training anymore. He was old then and that was 10 years ago. He'd be up in his 80's now. Georgia does get a treat as well as a pat from me, and a good girl, which she eats up more than the treat. If that's coddling, well, I guess I'm guilty.

In our class, we have two nuns (in habits and veils) who have a German Shepherd puppy. Georgia Rose is very interested in the puppy. I wonder if she thinks the pup's a little Hildy? Very Happy

Thank you all, dear friends, for your comments and concerns. Our little girl will be trained with love and with kindness and I do believe I can learn a good deal from this trainer. Joshua goes with us tomorrow and I'm really glad about that.
I'll let you know how it goes!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:53 am

I've been a little curious about the Pedi-Paws thing too. Our dogs nails are mostly white (I think Lyra has one black nail), but I have no confidence with the trimmer. As for the Dog Whisperer, I truly don't think his methods are all that terrible for the very troubled dogs I see featured on his shows. Dogs truly ARE pack animals, and they benefit from that kind of environment when there are real issues. With most of us, who have some fairly minor problems to solve with our pets, I'm sure a little coddling never hurt any of us.

And yes, while I'm sure that training day IS a special event in the life of Georgia Rose, it's special in the same way that finally getting Argo to ride in the car without urping on his sister was. LOL! Those little things mean a lot to us, don't they?

Pupskweek, it really didn't surprise me that Lucie feels a little better with her leash on in thunderstorms. Her leash "ties" her to her peoples, and when you're a little apprehensive about something, it helps all of us to know that we have those ties. There are actually items called Thundershirts for dogs that kind of swaddle the dog, fitting snugly around their midsection, which works on the same principle of swaddling babies to make them feel secure. I hear good things about the Thundershirts. Thank goodness and *knock wood*, ours haven't ever exhibited any fear of thunder or lightning.

Last edited by BobCat on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Mockingbird--how clever of you to figure out that coddling is really enabling!!! What a concept--I would never have thought of that--sounds like you really have a handle on it all, Georgia Rose is a lucky dog fur shure. Do you have a picture of her posted? I love to see pictures...........
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm very interested to hear how it went today with Joshua in the mix, Elizabeth.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Coddling... It's a very British term, no? (heehee!)

The PediPaws is like a spinning emory board. It has a disc with the emory board stuff on it, and a "wand" that holds the motor that makes the disc spin. The disc has a plastic cover with a slot in the side. It hums softly, and as long as the pets can handle the hum and vibration of holding their nail against the disc, they should be fine. The plastic cover keeps the disc from grinding too far down, and the filing action is pretty gentle. My kitties tolerate it pretty well -- even GK who is scared of everything.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:11 pm

how big is the treat you give her when you're doing the clicker thing? if its tiny (like they seem to do on those dog shows) then she could just eat it so fast she wouldn't want to store it for later!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Today we worked on loose leash walking. This is exactly why I wanted to take her to lessons, for this skill. I had dreams of Joshua and me and the doggies going out for walks all together. There were three methods our trainer shared with us, and the one we chose is called the "aversion stop" method. I remember this is the method we used for Hildegard. You walk the dog and when the dog starts to pull, you make a loud "AA-T!" sound (like my mother used when she wanted me to stop doing something!) and the dog immediately stops pulling. When the dog walks with the leash loose, the dog is praised. After a few times of making the "AA-T!" sound, Georgia got the idea. Before I took her, though, the trainer asked if he could borrow her to show this method. At first, she was all over the place. Just a few times of him correcting her with that sound, and she got the idea. At first, she was very tentative about walking like "is this what you want me to do?" He praised her and she started holding her head up and looking very pleased with herself.

When it was our turn to take our dogs out on the floor, I hardly had to correct Georgia at all! Everyone was amazed at how well we did. Even the trainer couldn't believe she'd never been walked before. He told us we were both doing a great job. I couldn't believe it, and Joshua was there to see how well she did. It was important for him to be proud of her since he is the one with the most problem with her behaviors. He gave her lots of pats and "good girl"s when we were finished. I just couldn't believe how wonderful it was. It was like she'd been walking on the leash forever. Even when we all got back together in the class area, the trainer bragged on Georgia Rose. Very Happy

We left from the class and drove home, put Hildegard in the car and we all drove to the city park for a walk. We have a beautiful park in our town with a gorgeous 2 and a half mile Nature Trail. Off we all went. I had Georgia Rose and Joshua had Hildy. It had been so long since we walked Hildy that at first she pulled but after one or two corrections, she was fine. I only had to correct Georgia a few times and then we had the best time! It was my dream come true for our dogs and us together. It was a beautiful warm day after so many extremely cold ones and there were other folks, bicyclists and children out and about. Lots of distractions and even a few squirrels thrown into the mix. Georgia had never been to the park before and it was very exciting. There's an overlook at the beginning with stairs up to a deck which overlooks the marsh (what used to be a rice plantation.) It's a pretty view, especially in the springtime. Up we went and Georgia wasn't too sure at first, she'd never been up stairs and these were open ones (she could see the ground between the steps). But we all made it up and had a good time looking around. It was just wonderful, dear friends. I just couldn't get over how well she walked with very little correction. This surpassed all my expectations, to be able to take her out on a public walk her very first day of leash walking!

What a wonderful day. She's resting from her exciting time and it was good for Hildy to be there, not only for her own health, but to model the proper behavior for Hildegard. We never even had to teach Georgia "sit". She picked it up from watching Hildy. She's a smart little cookie, that little red houndy.

I hope next week goes as well! Very Happy
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:50 pm

<<< APPLAUSE!!! >>>> cheers
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse