Konan went to the Bridge

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Konan went to the Bridge

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Sigh... This wasn't at all what I was expecting. He has had NO problems. I woke up at 5:00 to feed like I always do. On my way to the barn, I heard someone kick the wall. I didn't think anything of it because Sabi kicks the wall all the time at meal time. When I got to the barn, Konan was lying down in his stall -- unusual. Then, I heard him huffing and puffing -- not good! I opened the door, he shot to his feet and zoomed outside. (Thank GOD!) He was soaked with sweat and straining to walk. I tried to listen to his gut with a stethoscope, but he kept trying to lie down. I gave up. First aid consisted of putting on a dry blanket and try to keep him from hurting himself on regular objects. I got him through the barn aisle and to the yard. He went to lie down, so I ran into the house, called my husband and grabbed my cell phone. I called the vet and switched watch duties with my husband. Things were going downhill fast.

When the vet got there, she said it looked really bad. She couldn't tell from a superficial exam whether he had a stroke or if he was colicky. He was definitely neurologic, but that might have been from extreme pain if he was colicking. Since he was in such awful shape, and wasn't able to stand for more than a few minutes, we decided that the kindest course of action was to put him down. He seemed grateful for the relief. It was very sad to watch, but his eyes went quiet and he laid down peacefully. There was no jerking and twitching -- none of the awful stories you read about putting horses to sleep. He just let go.

I had to find somebody to bury him, which turns out to be challenging. But, a very nice man with a REALLY big backhoe came and offered to bury him at a farm with higher ground than ours. We decided that was probably a good thing since a grave here would be in wetness and probably would sink in as time goes.

So, our Konan is gone. I feel kind of empty and foggy. I just can't make sense of it. I am glad he had a healthy and happy life until the end. I am completely befuddled by how it happened and what it was. I am also very tired. I guess that is sadness.

Rest in peace, Konan. Crying or Very sad
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: Konan went to the Bridge

Post by BobCat on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am

I'm so sorry. Crying or Very sad
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 am

I am sorry about Konan. Crying or Very sad
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan A on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 am

Oh Becky. I am so sorry. Big hugs to you and all the critters.
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Becky, I am so sorry. Those words are so inadquate. I do know
one thing for sure you are truly a HORSEMAN, not an owner, not a rider
but a HORSEMAN. You have done for your partners for they truly are partners
that only one in a thousand would do.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 pm

i'm so sorry..... Crying or Very sad i can't imagine what it was like. but i agree with Sue, you're not just an owner, you're a true horse person and a partner to those hooved companions.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Becky, I'm so, so sorry. You must be stunned and very sad. We all are. My tears and heart are with you and hub and Sabi.

Konan has been a presence here and part of our community for a long time. Whenever you fell like it, now or later, I would very much like to hear his whole story so as to properly honor his life. Please, darling, when you're ready.

Much love to all of you,
Suze
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Becky, I am so so sorry about Konan's sudden passing. I am also mystified as to what the cause was based on your description. You did the right thing for him though, he was in pain. Konan's at peace now. I am glad he had a good, long, happy and healthy life right up until the end.

I am stunned by this news....................

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:25 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Konan's passing. I keep thinking of him galloping through a beautiful sunlit meadow
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm glad Konan is no longer suffering.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 am

Oh... Konan's story... Might take a few posts since he was such a character. I'll start with his introduction to our family.

In 2000, we bought our first house AND little horse farm. Sabi was at a boarding barn, so I needed to find a pal. The receptionist at my then-vet's office knew a lady who was living in Germany, but had a horse here. The horse was at a barn that was reducing its herd, and he needed to find a home. There was Konan. His mommy couldn't help him because she was overseas, and he needed to go somewhere with a pal.

I went to meet Konan who was babysitting foals at his farm. He was a nice guy, but had some leftover stud tendencies. He had been a stallion until he was 6. He was sometimes pushy on the ground, but was a real gentleman under saddle. He had an old injury, so he was mostly retired -- ok for light riding. He seemed to be the right kind of guy for a Sabi buddy since he was only a couple years older, and was nice with other horses. I brought Sabi out for a visit, but since the farm was full of foals, we couldn't really do a proper introduction. I could really just let them sniff over the fence, which was uneventful.

Konan's owner and I decided that the situation would work, and she flew over from Germany to visit her family and set things up for his move to a new house. All was set. I picked Konan up the day I was moving Sabi to the farm. (They moved in a month before we did.) When we stopped to get Sabi, the two horses bonded instantly in the trailer. They were sharing a hay bag and nuzzling like they were long separated friends.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship for Sabi and Konan. I guess horses, like people, just sometimes "click" with someone they've just met. I hope you can find a permanent companion for Sabi he "clicks" with just like he did with Konan.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:32 pm

What an interesting story. Did he remain studdy the rest of his
life. I gather he was a purebreed. Very handsome in the facebook
photo. He was in his 20's right. I'm glad you were able to take him.
If the vet's mare doesn't work would you consider a rescue. I know rescue
groups always looking for a spot.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 pm

He had some stud tendencies for his whole life. Nothing terrible, but he could be pushy. You had to be very firm with him or he would take advantage. But, he was gentle most of the time. He did pace the fence and dig in his stall. I figure those were leftover habits from being in a stall and being trained to be a crazy Arab stallion.

He was 26 when he passed away. He had gone from a sleek, slim guy to a furball. He had pretty advanced Cushing's disease I think.

I would consider a rescue, but I'm pretty picky about the groups. Some of them are really weird and kind of "stalk" the adopters. A local lady has had all kinds of trouble with a particular group. The group is good to the horses, but not so good to the adopters. I know not all organizations are like that, but I am very wary. I'm actually thinking of contacting our local animal shelter since they get horses. But, I'm going to take it slow. Since the little mare will be here, I won't be in a rush. If she doesn't work out, a friend near me has offered Sabi's old friend Rocko as another temporary guest. Sabi and Rocko tore up the trails together for years.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 am

Twenty six, that is great Becky. That he lived so long and was in great shape
till the end is a testament to your skill as horseman. I understand what you
are saying, my friend Foxy has refused to take rescue horses because of that.
She had the nasty experience of adopting horse from a rescue group. This was a
really nice young horse and she was looking for a nice quiet lesson horse. He fit the
bill so she adopted him. When the group found out she was using him for lessons, they
sued her. Becky this horse maybe worked six to seven hours a week with the occasional
horse show thrown in. They lost the suit.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Since horses have great memories, I'm sure Sabi would like to see his friend Rocko too even if it does work out with the mare. When you're grieving, you need all the friends you can get to lean on.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm

After Konan was gone, I snipped some of his tail hair to keep as a memory (and to send to his owner in TX). Today, I braided it and sent one braid to TX. It was kind of sad, but kind of therapeutic. His poor tail hairs look so sad without the rest of him. But, it is good to have something to remember him by.

A friend of ours knows a taxidermist. That person says I should dry the hairs in table salt so they hold onto their color longer. Not sure how I'll do that, but I'll figure it out. I'm supposed to hang it up while it dries. Hmm... How do you keep the salt on it while it hangs? Guess I'll need to find a bucket, hang it from the handle and fill the bucket with salt. (Seems like a LOT of salt.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:42 pm

That seems like a lot of trouble, especially without specific instructions. I think, if it were me, I would simply preserve Konan's braid in a frame, perhaps a shadowbox, and hang it in the barn over his stall in his memory. I'm not a big fan of taxidermy or enbalming. To me, physically, we are what we are, and when we go, we go. Dust to dust and all that. I believe we live on in our spirits, and in the memories of those who remain behind and continue to love us. But everyone has their own views on this, and I think you should do what your heart tells you is right for you.

Konan's story of when he met Sabi was beautiful! But that was 2000; lotta years have gone by. Surely there are more Konan stories to share? I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 pm

The introductory trips are VERY similar, aren't they. It struck me as I was driving home.

More Konan stories... I'll continue from the arrival at the new house...

Sabi and Konan were living with the previous owners' 7 (yes, that's SEVEN horses on 5 acrea) horses. The previous owners are very nice people and tried their best to take care of the boys, although they didn't really have time to be as fussy as I usually am. One day, a BIG storm rolled in. They ran out to bring in all the horses since hail, lightening and strong winds were coming. They had 6 stalls and 9 horses. What to do??? Well... Their small ponies could share, and Sabi and Konan had to do the same. Story has it that Konan squished into the corner so Sabi could have most of the stall.

When I came out to check on them, Konan decided that he wouldn't squish any more. He was running all over the pasture with Sabi in tow. Sabi was quick enough to be in the lead, but he always followed his bestest friend. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm

I join everyone here in mourning Konan...we can always take comfort in the fact we did our best for our dumb friends. Thank you for doing that. Love from Pups
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Great story, Becky! Konan, for all his stallion posturing, gave Sabi the stall? Only they really know what that was all about, but whatever it was, it furthered their bond. Ha! As evidenced by their subsequent romp together! Very Happy Beautiful!

More stories please?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Wonderful story Becky! More, more, please!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 pm

After their initial bonding, Sabi and Konan started to conspire. They were both full of mischief. After we'd been here a couple years, we planted some trees along the fenceline. We chose Washington Hawthorns, which have beautiful white flowers in spring, red berries in fall and winter, and THORNS all year long. Those two ponies thought they had never seen anything so delicious. They knocked over a fence and ate one of the trees all the way to the ground. Well... The tree wouldn't be conquered. It sprouted right back and grew tall tall tall.

It became Konan's tree. He used it as his pace point. He used to pace the fence at dinner time. (That drove me absolutely crazy!) He would walk down to the corner and then back to the tree. I ended up putting the water tub at the base of the tree to keep him from digging it up. Laughing Funny how his pacing doesn't seem like such a horrible thing now.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 pm

So sad to learn about Konan's passing. Jay Jay is probable showing him around the great beyond Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Hoo, what WAS it with Konan and that tree?? Lol!

Did K and Sab get up to any more mischief together? What am I saying. I'll bet they did, and on a daily basis. Twisted Evil
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum