Do you tip at Christmas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you tip at Christmas?

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 pm

I heard something on the radio the other day about tipping at Christmas. They read a list from Money Magazine about how much you should tip those who serve you during the year, like so much $ for your gardener or nanny or personal trainer. Puhleeese! Like regular people have any of those! Rolling Eyes But then they started talking about your barber or mail carrier or newspaper guy, and I had to pay attention. Several years ago my newspaper deliverer started putting a little Christmas card in with the paper soon after Thanksgiving, saying Merry Christmas from [his name and address]. I was happy to get that and always send him a little check and a thank you note. He has delivered my paper for many years, never absent, never late, despite some awful conditions.

But my question is about my mail carrier. Do y'all ever do anything for them? I never have, and I've never even thought about it before. He was always just the government guy who stuffs my mailbox with bills and junk mail. But since I started Netflix I've realized how much I count on him. Now he's become the guy who picks up and delivers something I really want. I know! Suddenly he's important to me? That's so shallow of me! I really am ashamed not to have appreciated him more before.

So anyway, my question is, how does one show their appreciation and gratitude to their mail carrier? Keep in mind I can't cook, much less bake.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you tip at Christmas?

Post by WarriorNY on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Over the years our mailman has become my brother's friend. We give him a Christmas card. Sometimes we give him gifts during the year.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:40 pm

In the past I've given my mail carriers up to $25.00
(that's the max they can accept.) I lived in apartment
complex that had problems every now and then. They always
made sure I got my mail. I'm with Suzzz I'm ashamed to say
that I haven't tipped them in several years.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 pm

I have seen in articles about tipping that mailpersons are not supposed to take money, but other little gifts are acceptable. I never see my carrier as he comes when I am at work, but sometimes I'll leave a little bag of Lindor truffles in the mailbox.
I used to be friendly with my old carrier, who has retired. That was before they changed our mailboxes to much roomier ones, and I used to be inundated with large mail pieces and catalogs (for my side company)He would make sure I got the stuff, He would actually have an area for me at the post office (as if I was renting a PO Box, but I never paid, and I would go in and collect the large catalogs, etc on Saturday morning. I would usually give him some baked goods (not homemade) but nicely wrapped, or candies. The girl behind the cage at the PO got a box of cookies too. Now with our much bigger mailboxes most of the stuff fits right in the box.

I usually tip my super $100 at Christmas.

I don't have a dog walker or babysitter or manicurist or anything like that.

In the building I used to work at, I would go to the deli downstairs and have lunch or breakfast made for me alot of the time, so would throw some cash in the tip jar they put on the counter at Christmas time. (A pet peeve of mine though is the "Tip jar"sitting at the cashier year round at alot of places. Why should I tip people for taking my money????????????????????????????/

I usually bring a big box of cookies to the diner where I eat alot of the time for the hostesses and the waitstaff, and will give a small gift to some of my favorite waitresses.

lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Being a federal employee, they are not supposed to accept tips. My mail person would never have to worry about that rule, however, because she is absolutely insane, I'm convinced, and deserves a swift kick in the pants more than she deserves a tip. I've said for years that I came to know my neighbors when I moved to my current home because we all had to exchange all of our misdelivered mail.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:42 pm

bc i don't think we have one mail person like yours but every freakin one since i got here! I have one mag subscription now...just one puny mag a week and out of the 40 something issues (there are a lot of double issues, its ETW)i swear at least 5-10 a year i never recieve!

back home on the farm i know we left gifts for the mail man but my parents knew him was way back...he also used his own car to deliver the mail and had to drive through a lot of crap on our old country road. but it wasn't every year or very much cuz we didn't have much to give. the paper person was the same way but i think they might have gotten it more often. i don't know, it might have been $5 or something.

now i don't tip anyone except if i'm in a sit down restaurant. and that's mostly because a lot of those people don't get paid even minimum wage and are expected to make it up with the tips.

one of the reasons i don't get my hair cut is because, though i might be able to afford a cut a someplace like supercuts now and then, i can't afford the cut plus to tip everyone you're expected to tip! Cheaper to just wack at my hair myself.

does anyone tip people who just pour a cuppa coffee?I don't get it....i've worked retail or in theaters all my working life and nobody's every given me money for doing my job. even when its someone who stands at the front of the store, refusing to move and makes me run aroundthe store shopping for them.or wrapping over 100 gifts (free gift wrap at the clothes store i used to work at and yesh, for two years running i wrappede that many for the same person and hauled them to the car as well...esh!). actually, at this job i'm at now we had to sign some paperwork a few years back saying that we wouldn't accept tips from anyone or we'd get fired. we're not even supposed to accept pens or keychains from reps cuz they think it will influence us suggesting one brand over another...esh!

has anyone in here worked at a place where they got tips? i'm just wondering how it really affects a person's work. or work ethic.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Interesting question for those of you who get tipped. Does it affect how you do your job? Not talking about restaurant waitpersons here, that's a whole 'nother topic. But any house cleaners, car detailers, dog walkers or haircutters, etc. here?

Back to my original problem of me and my mailcarrier, a bag of Lindor chocs is a great idea, or really nice bakery cookies nicely wrapped. Not knowing the guy it's hard to know what he might like, but I guess the idea is to make the gesture and say thank you. Even if he doesn't want what I give him, he'll get the message, right?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:21 am

Suzzzz wrote:Interesting question for those of you who get tipped. Does it affect how you do your job? Not talking about restaurant waitpersons here, that's a whole 'nother topic. But any house cleaners, car detailers, dog walkers or haircutters, etc. here?

Back to my original problem of me and my mailcarrier, a bag of Lindor chocs is a great idea, or really nice bakery cookies nicely wrapped. Not knowing the guy it's hard to know what he might like, but I guess the idea is to make the gesture and say thank you. Even if he doesn't want what I give him, he'll get the message, right?

As I mentioned, the mailman isn't supposed to accept tips, so I'd either give him/her the nice chocolates, or maybe a nice scarf or earmuffs - just as a gesture. I have my own gesture in mind for my mail lady( Twisted Evil ), but in keeping with the season, I'll keep it to myself!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:13 pm

ya know, i bet he would probably appreciate a good pair of ear muffs esp if he's one of the mailmen who walk at least part of their deliveries!
a couple times i was going into work or coming home from work when the kids were coming or doing from school and the two crossing guards that work the elementary school had bags and bags of presents. esh....not only do these women make over twice a much as i do but they get treats from the parents i have to kiss up to at work just to keep a job! I'm really in the wrong profession.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:24 pm

They have those nice earmuffs that go behind your head, so men would probably be more likely to wear those. Or I just got myself a pair of "bandless" earmuffs called Earbags, which kind of "pop" into place on your ears. Those might be tricky, however, because they come in two or three sizes, so maybe the behind the head earmuffs would be a better idea. Being outside for any length of time, you really do need to consider that ears are very vulnerable to the cold temps.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:44 pm

My mail carrier drives along in his little truck and pops mail through his window into our mailboxes at the street. Which is not to say he's not cold in there! Shoot, when you think about it, he might be warmer walking than sitting in a frigid little tin box for hours. But he's been doing it for years and I suspect he's already figured out his longjohn and ear muff needs. Although, now that I said that, it would be a hoot to stuff a union suit into my mailbox for him! Lol! clown But I think I'll stick with the cookies. No sense letting him know he delivers mail to a crazy woman. Razz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Coffee and a thermos bottle. Something like that. The thermos
can be used for cold drinks in the summer and hot in the winter.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:17 pm

That's a good idea too, Sue. A nice coffee or tea and either a thermos or a travel mug. Or maybe a mug and a gift card to the local coffee shop. I know I'd appreciate something like that.

The only reason I hesitate about the cookies is that you don't really know if he can have sugary sweets, or if he might have tons of them already at home and at work.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:09 pm

i was gonna suggest the behind the head earmuffs but couldn't think what to call them!
i like the thermos idea....or a big thermal travel mug with packets of different things you can make hot like chocolate, tea, coffee and even cider!that way you're covered with all types and if he didn't like one he could always pass it on and try something else.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleB on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 pm

I don't do anything too extravagant...I try to give the mailperson and trash guys some candy and $10 gift cards to something like Kroger's or Target. I'm thinking about just giving cash this year, and may just do $5 each for the trash guys. I used to give the girl who cut my hair a bigger tip (say $5 on a $13 haircut), but since I don't have a regular stylist anymore and had it cut three weeks ago, I didn't do anything extra.

Last edited by MichelleB on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot "candy")

MichelleB
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 pm

geez never even thought about tipping the garbage men! maybe that's why the ones here are so sloppy and leave the cans in the middle of the street!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:00 pm

My mom gives our mailman $20 at Christmas---he's been our mailman for 20+ years, and gives our dog (as well as many dogs in the neighborhood) treats. I think my mom would give him more, but she thinks that the $20 is the limit. She also send a Christmas card with a check in it to the guy that mows our lawn. He's a real go-getter (lawmowning is a sideline business to his job as an electrician, and his part-time job as a cop). He is reasonable, and snow-blowed us out last February after 4 feet of snow fell (we are one of the few he would do this for, and he hasn't faised his rates to low our lawn in years). We don't tip the the trash or recyclable guys---not something my mom thinks to do, and I won't tip someone who makes a lot more money than I do! Granted the job stinks (pun intended), but they make 30K+. I haven't tipped the newspaper carriers, I'm not sure why. I guess it's becfause I still hold a grudge against the newspapers getting rid of the paperboys. I'll make that one of my resolutions for next year! I tip at Starbucks, occasionally, because they know me at my local store, and remember my drink. I tipped a lot more often when I worked outside the house---the Starbucks near the warehouse knew my srink, and slipped me a few free ones every now and then.
Whew!

And I want Jeanne's avatar!
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:20 pm

oh mags...i think we could probably share.....hmm.,..i thought i saw somewhere that this new Doctor has two companions? ( its happened before..i think the Doctor needs a couple of chicks with some sci fi experience under their hats just once:) )
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum