Adoption stories

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Adoption stories

Post by ARNIgal on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Hunting for food is just fine...anything other reason is sad and pointless to me. The thing that people in my family do while hunting that bothers me is baiting. Talk about taking the sport away from it and NOT giving the critter a chance against a gun Razz!!

Now to the last pet adoption story...at least for the pets I've had in my adult life Smile

This last story is about the smallest of my adopted critters. He was a little fuzzy orangecream colored hamster named Wuzzly. The cats had been good pets so I had been thinking about getting them "a pet of their own" anyways. One Saturday while doing my regular grocery shopping, I wandered over to to the pet area to look and noticed all the other hamsters in the cage kinda picking on Wuzzly. I quickly asked the attendant to hurry and get that one. Once I got him situated at home, the only kitty that seemed interested in him was Beans, my girl kitty! After reading some literature that came with a hammie playscape I bought, I learned that they will recognise the voice of their owner and indeed he did Smile Every day after greeting the cats at my door after , I'd go to Wuzzly's cage in my bedroom to check on him. He'd actually come out of the playscape, get on his hind legs and stretch himself up to me... that was soooo adorable I thought. The little feller lived about two years, as typical for hammies...! He was such a sweet presence... Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:43 pm

That and spotlighting. Don't even get me started on that. Evil all of it just evil.

I've heard that about hamsters. They are adorable little guys, and like rats
smart too.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Loved Wuzzly's story. I'm so grateful you adopted him so the others couldn't pick on him anymore. He repaid you with all the love his little heart had in it. They are indeed very loving, sweet pets. Shame they don't live very long.

After Fiffur died, my mom was heartbroken but not ready for another kitty yet. But at the petshop we saw a tiny hamster marked down on sale, took pity on her, and she came home with us. A mini-hamster that was already full grown (the petshop said she was a youngster-they lied). Not only did this hamster do things not typical of her species (jumping into midair to be caught by our hands), but also the sweet stuff like nuzzling our faces, running and standing up begging to be picked up, and playing with little toys we gave her. We even created a Hamster Playground out of a big storage bin with lots of tunnels, hidey holes, and stuff to climb. My mom adopted Bijoux about a year after we got Gidget. Bijoux loved that little hamster and she loved him. She'd follow him all over in her exercise ball, and beg to be let out to play with Bijoux. He'd put a paw in the Hamster Playground and let her climb on him............so gentle. Bij never tried to hurt her in any way. When Gidget crossed the Bridge, Bijoux moped and missed his little friend for months. I think he still does, he chirps and whines when he sees lil chippies in the yard, wanting them to come inside and play with him like Gidget did.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 pm

My next cat was Ascot. Ascot came to me in the late fall of 90. Bobcat was very elderly and
I had Chancey. So I was not looking for another cat. I was living not to far from where I'm living now.
Anyway the neighbor kids showed up on my doorstep with what I thought was a black and gray kitten.
He was in a filthy milk crate, covered in fleas with ear mites. He had a bowl of rancid milk in the crate
with him. Children the odor was enough to gag you. The question was lady can you find a home for this
kitten? Well the kitten found a home and became Ascot. When I cleaned him up he was a very handsome
tuxedo. When he was small and he was tiny when he came to live with me, possibly no more than six weeks old.
Chancey would retrieve him. They were best of friends till Chancey crossed the Bridge in the mid 90's.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm so glad you took Ascot in, and that Chancey loved him too. He had a long happy life with you that he might not have had otherwise.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Ascot was a wonderful cat. He had some Siamese in him, you could tell not only by his
voice but by his build. Very anglular. Classic narrow face. He wore a tux though. He loved to
sleep in my arms like a baby.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

i remember the story about Ascot coming to you in that box...those kids did something good;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 pm

I don't know if I have ever mentioned Snuggles or not. I don't know how old I was, but I doubt that I had started grade school at the time. My brother was already attending grade school that was run by a church. Since the parents had to drop off and pick up their kids at the school, my mom would take some kids to a babysitter until the parents got off work. The person who was watching the kids had a cat who had a litter. My brother got attached to a calico kitten with one ear being all black. My mom decided to adopt the kitten when she was weaned. Then she took the kitten along with me and my brother to my dad, who was still at work. My dad was in a situation where he didn't have a choice to say no to the kitten. She ended up being named Snuggles and she did like to lay next us. She lived to be 16 when she was put down.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Love that story! Reminds me of how we got Bruno, our little poodle. My dad wasn't in a position to say no either. Love how moms can be sneaky when their kids want something like a pet sooooo badly.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Caught up on this thread. I have two friends who had a brace of
English Setters. How they came by them is very interesting. The husband
had gone to a horse auction(killer sale). As the story goes there were these
two lowlifes with a pair of English Setters and were threatening to either shoot
them or poison them because they wouldn't hunt and wanted to sell them. Goz,
the husband says he convinced them to give him the dogs. The dogs had been
abused when Goz brought them home and named them Click and Clack. He loves
that show. The dogs were trained gun dogs and had hunted together. Goz and his
wife had them for 15 years.

Couple of interesting points, there are several different versions of that story kicking
around the group. The only thing that is agreed on is that the dogs were being abused
and the pond scum were threatening to kill them. Here things get interesting, one version
has Goz putting his 45 in their face and taking the dogs, the other is he went to a police officer
or sheriff's officer that was on the grounds and told them that those were his dogs and that they
were stolen. I'm going with the first version. I've seen this guy in action, he is not hot tempered.
I've never seen abuse an animal or a person but there is something about him. Somebody once
said he was like one of the great cats.

Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:06 am

are these folks TX folks,Sue? cuz i could see that happening deep in the heart of TX:) in fact i knew someone who would have done that;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 am

His wife is a native Texan, Goz himself is from Russia. He defected
in the 70's. Foxy's family has owned the land since the 1870's if not longer.
Goz is her second husband. They are incredible people.

Fox has always bred and shown hunters. When things started going south
with the economy she worked with her long time customers to help them save
their horses. She also stopped breeding. While she didn't have a large herd,
she didn't send them to the killers. Not to say that they didn't have some heartbreaking
times. Still they did what they could.

Still Goz is interesting and like I say he is like a cat, especially the big ones.
It's hard to explain but with him you watch his eyes. The eyes are mirrors of
the soul and if his eyes become cold then by God you'd better run for cover.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm

I think I know that look in the eyes you're talking about.............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Since today is blog about adopted pets on the internet or some such
thing. I thought I would bring this topic up and talk about Rachel.

Rachel was from the SPCA here in Dallas. At the time they were run
by a guy who been in charge of animal control somewhere in Michigan.
Anyway their way of cleaning the cat room at the time was to come in hose
everything down cages, floors etc. Never mind the cages had cats in them.
I was volunteering there at the time and came in to find that almost twenty
cats had been killed overnight because they had become ill from the stress of
being in a shelter, along with being hosed down with water and kept in a cold room.
The only cat left in the room was Rachel and they would have taken her if I had not pitched
a fit and fell into it. Their response was here take her, no adoption fees or anything just
take her and don't come back. I took her and never went back.

Rachel was a faded calico. White body, faded calico markings on head and tail.
She crossed the Bridge 31 Jan 08. She was 16 or 17. She never was a thrifty cat,
always seem to be getting sick. Still she was very loving and affectionate. Oddly enough she
had been adopted out twice and the longest she was in her temporary homes was I think siix
months. I never had any complaint with her.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm so glad you took Rachel! She deserved better treatment at that 'shelter' (I use the term loosely here). Her love and affection was more than payback for you taking her out of that hellhole. I hope that place was either shut down or radically changed to treat the poor furkids there better.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:20 pm

It's interesting, I know they SPCA and like other shelters they are just over whelmed
but they are dishonest about their euthansia practice and policy. Yes they are billing themselves
as a no kill shelter. I was asked not to volunteer anymore after the incident with Rachel.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

yeah...there's so much politics, back stabbing and just out and out psychoitic meanness with people who say they are helping animals in those shelters. i'm not sure 100% about NSAL or St Huberts but since i've never nothing bad about either and know that Patrick and Karen are involved with St H i feel if i were to donate i wouldn't be kicking myself.
Alley Cat Allies seems good...but they're more TNR than a shelter.
Its hard..... i used to want to save half the world then one day i had a 'ping' moment and said "you can't save every animal...you can't even save every cat...but you can save and help the ones you can." i think you're doing a lot of that Suz.... i wish i had more flexibility cuz i'd like to give more help.

I think i've heard Rachels' story before...is that the one you used for the facebook contest?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm

No, I used Antonio's. You're right about that Jeane.
It's hard to reach the point when you know that you can't
save them all. You weep for sadness for the ones you can't
save and weep for joy at the ones you can. I think that's
why I do TNR now.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I don't know how old Rachel was when you rescued her from the supposed "rescue" place (my God!) but it sounds like you made her last days/months/years happy ones. Bless you for that. I've taken in a few oldies who didn't have it so great in their former lives. Such rescues are supposedly an act of charity, but there is no doubt that it was I who received the most benefit from having them in my life.

And I just want to say bless everyone who does TNR. I know exactly what y'all mean about the terrible angst of knowing you can't help them all. We care for the ones we can home, with ourselves or with others, and people who do TNR not only care for the living, but try to curtail future generations of the homeless. It is the work of angels, IMO.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

She was approx 2, she and Ascot bonded. They loved each dearly.
I know the former director is no longer there, but to me they are still
caught in the animals are merchandise mentality. I know the rescue groups
have their own set of problems, still the foster care system I think can save
more lives and like you said the TNR programs can help stop future generations
of homeless. They shouldn't be born just to die.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Mon May 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Have I told the story behind Pugsley's adoption?
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon May 30, 2011 2:25 pm

No I don't think you have.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Mon May 30, 2011 3:37 pm

It wasn't long after Arwen's death, I had a dream that I was at a shelter and managed to get into one of the cell like spaces and showed my parents the cat I brought out. I don't remember if I asked if they wanted that cat or if I told them I wanted that cat. Some time later, I had another similar dream. I did tell my parents about the two dreams and my mom started to look at cats up for adoption. She came across an Himalayan cat in foster care. Foster mom had named Lord Humphry, but never called him that. I saw the picture and knew he was a pretty cat that needed a home. Some days later, my mom called foster mom to arrange a time for us to come and see Pugsley. We came to the house and it didn't take long to find out how friendly Pugsley is. We also found out she was fostering 29 other cats. Shocked It didn't take much for my mom to be convinced to adopt Pugsley right then. Fortunately, foster mom let us adopt him on the spot and we gave her a big bag of cat food to help her out. My brother was shocked when my parents came home with Pugsley and told us that he was going to call him Pugsley regardless what the rest of us called him.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon May 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Shocked WOW!!! 29 cats, most foster only have about 6 or so. It's interesting that your dream lead you to
him. I won't go so far out as to see dreams can fore shadow the future, still it is interesting. How is Pugsley doing?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Mon May 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Since Pugsley is on pain meds now, he is being more sociable, bouncing off the walls and being more playful. At first, Pugsley was two pain meds and he is one now. The pain med that Pugsley gets on a regular basis is in a shot. I think he gets the shot once a month now. Poor boy gets a shot to help with kitty arthritis. But it's worth it since he is reacting positively to the shots.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum