Adoption stories

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Adoption stories

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:59 pm

All of your stories were so wonderful to hear...and Suzzzz, so sorry to hear about Daisy the Wonderbeagle... Sad

Shortly after first being on my own, I went to the local Humane Society to pick out my first pets. I was so excited. When I got there, I was drawn to a cage full of seven puff balls. I opened the door and put my hands in the cage. Envigado walked over and put two tiny kitten paws on my right ring finger and gnawed away. He still does this to this day although the paws belong to a much larger cat and the teeth are SHARP!! What a Face Bello crab-walked on the side of the cage, jumped as high as he could and landed on the other hand and played away...he is still very playful Very Happy twelve years later, I am still very priveleged to have both of them Very Happy
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Like just about any other breed of dog, Poodles can be wonderful. They don't shed, they're easily trained - what more could one ask for?? It's almost always the fault of the human when a dog is bad. Grommit was a breed that many people say they hate when they first hear the name Miniature Pinscher, but he was a wonderful, engaging, dynamic little presence in our household. Even with two dogs now, Grommit made a bigger impact most of the time, because he had such a big personality. I always took great pride in telling people that our vet said Grommit was the most well adjusted Min Pin he had ever seen. He was stubborn as a tiny mule when he wanted to be, but that was all a part of that big personality too.

Both Grommit and our current two, Argo & Lyra, came from breeders, and while I feel somewhat guilty about that, they were responsible breeders, not puppy mills. I'd call Grommit's breeders sort of a "backyard breeder," but we got him before I really had internet access to search out others, so I consider myself lucky to have gotten such a good dog with the limited resources available at the time. After Grommit passed, and we decided we wanted another dog, we began looking at rescued Min Pins, and there were several who had serious cat issues, which ruled them out, and a few with fear issues, which unfortunately, I didn't feel I had time to address. Fears take lots of attention and care to overcome, and my opinion is that two people who work full time away from the house just don't have the time needed to devote to the dog, and I didn't want to get a pet that made us unhappy, nor did I want to fail as an owner, to give a dog what it needed.

When I admitted that to myself, then I started thinking about other possible breeds that would maybe be a little less of a challenge than a Min Pin pup would pose. I remembered meeting a couple probably about 10 years earlier with their Papillon, and it was so precious that I began telling Wesley at that time that my next dog would be a Pap. It was also around the time that the Pap Kirby won it all at Westminster. When we began to get serious, I began to think of a pair rather than one. I figured that they would then have a companion, since we do work full time. I knew they'd also have the cats, but cats can be a bit solitary, and dogs are so social. Anyway, there was an ad in the local paper with Papillon pups, so we went to see them. It was another backyard breeder, and they were the biggest Papillons I had ever seen, and there was evidence that they were already being destructive. So, we went home with a new resolve, to begin interviewing Pap breeders. After two or three others, we found Argo & Lyra, and the rest is history!

I'll tell my cat stories at another time. There have been a number of them over the years, and while we did not go the rescue route with dogs, all of our cats have been "freebies," and they've all been priceless as well!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:22 pm

I love what you said, BC, about being mindful enough to know when a type of dog is right for you and you for him. All the pet sites are very big on that, and I think it's a great thing. That works best, of course, when we are doing the choosing. Sometimes we have no choice! We are either chosen by the babes (like Arni and her kits -- great story!!), or circs make it impossible to refuse.

Which brings me to my current dog. Shop Dog came into my life about 14 years ago. My then husband was driving one snowy day and saw a small pup out in a deserted field. He stopped, got out, and walked a little way into the field. The pup was far away but pricked up it's ears and stared hard at Sam. Sam stopped walking and went down on one knee. That's all it took. The pup raced toward him, falling and stumbling, until she reached her goal and literally threw herself into his arms! He cradled her close, got her into the truck, and drove back to town with the little dog glued to his side.

Long story short, he took her straight to our vet and she turned out to be a 4-month old pitbull mix with a badly broken back leg, the break being so old that the lower bone had started to grow onto the bone in her thigh. Many surgeries and much physical therapy later, she was healed. Sam took her with him to work at his machine shop every day and patiently did her physical therapy for months. She continued to go to the shop with him every day for many years, hence the name Shop Dog.

Sam, my dear friend (even if ex hub), died last year, and Shop came back home to live with her mama after 6 years apart. We both miss Sam, and I can't give her the interesting life she had with him, but the love between us is still there and we are content living together.

WeezerCat's a bit pissed, though. She thought she'd seen the last of that dog. Razz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Our next furkids, after the gerbils passed, to join the family were guinea pigs. First there was Snowball, an albino shorthair with a big personality. Then we got Cookie to keep him company, and she was colored like a calico kitty. Cookie practiced birth control: she only had one litter of three even though we never separated her from Snowball for the next 10 years. Cookie was very smart too, so we let her play with Bruno in our room while we cleaned the aquarium out (no cage with bars so no drafts to make them sick). Cookie never chewed on anything or pottied anywhere, and Bruno was very gentle with her. Cookie just loved him. Bruno probably thought she was a funny-looking puppy. Cookie literally would squeal, loudly, on my sis whenever she tried to sneak candy in our room. LOL Then we got Cinnamon and Buttons to make our guinea pig family a foursome. Cinnamon was half peruvian/half abbissinian so she had those whorls in her fur but her fur would keep on growing until she looked like a mop. Her I gave haircuts to every two months. For about two weeks she looked like an abby, then the hair would start to grow out......... I'd sit her on a towel and used blunt-tipped scissors and a toothbrush to trim her hair. She was very good about it too, sitting still for me until I was done. Buttons was her friend, and he was all black except for 4 little white feet. On his back he looked like a black button. They ended up having 3 litters of 4, all very cute lil babies we found homes for. All four guinea pigs were fun to have and Bruno loved to play with them. Of all of them, Snowball turned out to be the equivalent of my great grandpa: he was the first one we got and the last to go. He got so old his white hair turned yellowish and we did what we could to help his arthritis.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I know I have mentioned Mikey before, but not his story. I know it was summer, but I can't remember what year it was. It may have been 1987 or 1988. There was(and still is) a woman who lives behind the next door neighbor with a cat and a litter of kittens. She basically provided fed them at least one a day and it wasn't much food. There was one of those neighborhood yard sales that summer and my parents and the neighbor was able to get homes for most of the kittens without telling the woman. There was this gray and white kitten that was the runt of the litter. My mom told the woman that we were going to take this runt in and keep him. I don't even know where the name Mikey came from, let alone who named him. My mom suspected that may have been mentally retarded on some level. I think it took Mikey years to learn his name. He did do pretty good and helped in the kitchen. Mikey lived to be 18 years old when he was put down. His health had deteriorated to the point that he was giving us this 'Why are you keeping me alive?' look. Then my parents knew it was time for Mikey.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Just finished catching up on this thread. The stories are so wonderful.
BC you did the right thing in your search for breeders, the really good ones
work with the rescue groups. If you had a purchase contract with Argo and
Lyra's breeder I bet you that it had a spray/ neuter clause in it. If any you get
the chance go into a breed rescue site and look at the adoption applications.
I know the American Brittainy Rescue has a section that asks you if have ever
owned the breed before, the English Setter Rescue also has the same thing on
their application.

Last edited by Sue Short on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 pm

(sorry but i have to point this out....its got me cracking up!)
Arfo.....Arlo you see to have a new name;) Arfo would be perfect for the pooches upstairs cuz they certainly as 'arfy!"
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:12 pm

AUGH!!!! Ok, I will edit that she says while (((( GIGGLING)))) you've got admit
it is funny. Apologizes to ARGO.

Speaking of adoption stories. One the members son
adopted a wonderful German Shepard puppy from Dallas
Animal Services. Dexter is nine months old and just adorable.
Stewart ( the son) truly did save a life. Dexter was an owner surrender in
lieu of citation. He had been adopted but the original family back out because he
had kennel cough and his neutering surgery was delayed. The reason for owner surrender
also says a lot.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Sounds like Dexter had a rough start in life, but is now in a much better forever home. Don't know why anyone would back out because of kennel cough, it's curable with meds. How hard is it to get meds into a dog, especially a puppy? I've done it plenty in the past. Guess those adopters who backed out didn't want the hassle of meds for a couple weeks. Just as well, Dexter is better off right where he is now. cheers
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm

My brother has had a series of dogs over the years that have
just been wonderful.

The first English setter he had was from a breeder in East Texas. He
got Isaac when he was in graduate school at UT. Isaac was a wonderful
companion and a great gun dog. My brother and his wife during his years in
grad school moved from Austin to Columbus, Ohio where he did post doc work.
Isaac went with them. When Mike finished grad school, they then moved from
Austin to Freehold, NJ. Isaac went with them. ( Almost forgot they moved from
Columbus back to Austin)

To show you how smart this dog was, he would wait for Mike and his wife to leave
the house. Then he would come downstairs and hop on the couch. When he heard
their car pull in the driveway he would hop off the couch and go upstairs. When the door
opened he would trot downstairs and greet them. I thought it was great. I can't remember
how old he was when died but I do know that he lived a long and well loved life.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 am

Yes, little Arfo ROTFL and Lyra had spay/neuter clauses in their contracts, which means they couldn't be shown (though Argo has grown too big to be shown anyway - as handsome as he is!), but they could still do agility shows if we wanted to. We wanted good, healthy, well-bred pets anyway, and absolutely wanted to spay and neuter them, so that was fine with us. Life is much easier with a neutered animal than an intact one anyway.

Of course, hindsight being 20/20, I found out later that many very good, healthy purebred dogs are given up to rescues after they have a couple of litters (sadly), because they're of no further use to the breeders. No Had I known more about that, I'd have certainly been willing to look for an adult Papillon.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:02 pm

What Issac did was too funny. ROTFL
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:11 pm

bc,we all learn things as we go along. i think a lot of folks don't know that about pooches. but now we all do.

now i guess i should tell a story...
not the Rescue Kitties just yet...we i've had a lot of 'adoptions' in my eons on this earth;)

growing up i had several pooches....a couple were beagles or beagle mixes. the medium size ones. the last one was a second hand dog named Rex. (you can tell her was second hand....he would have had a different name if i had the chance!). people my parents knew had gotten him for their two little girls cuz they wanted a dog. the little girls were responsible for feeding him...he was given one smalll butter dish of dry food a day. (i don't know..maybe a cup? i just remember it was one of those little butter tubs that came two in a package). after about a year (maybe less?) they decided they didn/t want him anymore. i don't know all the details. i only know when he got to our house he was sooooo skinny but very beagly (funny, loving and barky).he got so excited when people came through the front door he's pee right in front of you. it took a year or so to get him calmed down and fattened up.
he was a good pooch who got into things....one time he acted sick and we thought he had been poisoned (long story) only to find out he had eaten a rotting sandwich some kid had thrown out the bus window....baggy and all.
he was still around and in great health when i left home but about a year later my father informed me he was 'missing' and that they think somebody saw him walking down the road and just picked him up. (yeah,made no sense to me either, but that's my father's mentality).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:52 pm

A father's mentality...don't get me started!

Anyways...you all heard how I came across Envigado & Bello...now, here's Jay Jay's story. His first person passed away, so he was brought to ARNI, the rescue group in Lansing, since he peed all over the house of the relatives who inherited him. Jay Jay was adopted right away mostly because of his over-the-top good looks! Well he peed over that home too. Of course, ARNI took him back...and I was the foster home. He was taken to the vet and given a clean bill of health plus updated shots. I told the rest of the volunteers I'd keep him for three months to calm him down. After I let him out of "quaranteed", he decided I needed a purry pillow every night...and guess what?...no inappropriate peeing. I thought he was "cured"!! After being adopted out...again...he peed all over his new home. Seeing the writing on the wall, so to speak, I decided to keep him. Nearly every night until he passed away a week ago, I had a purry pillow. And also there was no pee outside the litterbox...unless of course I didn't take him for a walk Smile

ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah, don't get me started on father's mentality. In my case step
father.

That is a great story about Jay Jay. I loved the photo.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:03 pm

ah...and he looks like a pillow pet in that picture as well! he knew where he was supposed to be and also where he was supposed to pee;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Loved the story of JayJay but couldn't see the pic. I guess he peed all over everyone's house until he finally found "His" person ie: you Arni.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Fif, I think you've seen the photo of Jay Jay before, but its on its way again Smile

Well the next adoption story on my list is for Beans who is pictured above. I first met her the weekend of Labor Day 2005 as I was walking home from a morning run. When I was nearly home, I heard what I thought was a stray kitty fight ready to start. As per usual, I was ready to go over and break it up and figured the kitties would just scatter. I got all the way to the back of the of the neighboring apartment complex to find Beans sitting all by hersel, sitting on top of a little red car. With her range of vocalizations, I thought it was two kitties fighting!!! We at ARNI tried to adopt her out. Everytime I'd put her in a carrier, she would scratch me! One time she sent me to the emergency room with her mighty scratches!! That is when she became my kitty Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:45 pm

What a pretty cat Beans is.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Well that's one way of getting your point across about where you
want to live.

My next adoption story is Chancy. Chancy was a Brittainy Spaniel.
This is one of the hunting breeds and are just wonderful dogs. I was getting
a divorce at that time and decided I wanted a dog, I wasn't sure what kind and the
dog had to be cat friendly. I had a horse at a self care barn and told one of the other
boarders I was thinking about getting a dog. They told me that they knew someone who
was looking to find a home for their dog. They didn't have time for her.(Don't get me started
on that excuse for getting rid of your pet). I agreed to meet with them and the dog.
We agree on time and meeting place.

I go out to the barn to feed, etc and next to my stall is a dog crate with a note. Food,
leash, toys etc. Note read we know that you will give Chancy a good home. I pitched a fit
that went all the to China. They didn't even leave me vet records. I did find out she had been
spayed. I kept her she was a wonderful dog, she never did learn to leave the cat alone, then again the Bobcat just love to tease her.

Thanks to this wonderful vet I had at the time we wound up with trainer who specialized
in gun dogs. He gave us not only basic obendience training but also field dog training. Chancy
was a faithful and wonderful companion until her death in the mid 90's.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:20 pm

ah...'don't have time' is second on my list...my first one is 'the kid is allergic' (as in, we have this dog/cat for 12 yrs and just had a baby who is allergic to it so we're dumping it off at the shelter). chancy did good to get a second chance with you:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Sounds like you even had a bit of fun working with Chancy too Smile

When I answered the phone for ARNI, the pet surrender call that always made my blood boil was the moron who would wait until they were on their front lawn after their eviction to call us. Now my landlord at the time told me that evictions take six months to happen...people! Ughhh!
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:54 pm

I hear you there, Arni. The worst part about is all the shelters/rescue
sites offer tips on how to rehome you pet. The toads who dumped Chancy
just frosted me. Their friends as horse owners sucked too so I shouldn't have
been surprised.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:08 am

I loved Chancy, she was an incredible dog and thanks to her I got
to do something that I wouldn't have a chance to do. I hunted and before all
of pitch a hissy hear me out. Hunting anymore has a bad name because of the
jerks that call themselves hunters. The other is that in order to hunt you have to
respect the land and your prey along with the others who compete with you for them.
The thing is now is you depend on all sorts of gadgetry to find the game. There is no skill in that. I remember more than one hunt when the group I was hunting with
came home empty handed. There is no shame in that. Hunting is hard work and you will not always be successful. You don't hunt to hang something on the wall you hunt to put food on the table.

Now that I've gone on this rant, remind me sometime to tell you about a friends
to English Setters.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm glad Chancy found you, sounds like she really needed a new, much better, home than the one she had.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum