Adoption stories

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Adoption stories

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Fluff, I'd love to hear your brother's cat's story. Sounds like she's getting to be an oldie. Well, there are lots of those here (cats, dogs & peoples) and we understand about the hurty hips. I'm glad your bro found out and, with his vet's help, I'll bet he can make her much more comfortable. Weezer has been remarkably more spry just by eating daily hip treats. Dementia could be a problem, but chronic pain can make anyone seem less focused. Once Kitty feels better, she may surprise you.

So yes, please tell us her story! I love you And Sue, I promise to pen Shop Dog's story next.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:19 pm

My brother went to college in Northern Wisconsin. Northern meaning the city has one side bordering Lake Superior. I don't remember if he was still in college or not at the time, I think he was volunteering at a local shelter that was no bigger than the average size garage. He noticed a black cat that was sick. I don't know what was wrong with her. Someone at the shelter decided that she might do better if adopted. My brother liked her personality and adopted her. She did get better and he named her Rohan, which he got from Lord of the Ring books. Some time later, he got a temporary job near Chicago that provided housing. Well, there was a no pet rule and my parents volunteered to take Rohan in, but he had to get rid of the cockroaches he had at the time. Cockroaches were unloaded. My parents still has Rohan and my brother is in Idaho. My brother knows my parents will what is best for Rohan.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Sounds like your bro really connected with that kitty. I'm so glad! She was sick and in dire circs -- I'm sure he saved her life by taking her in. I know your parents are doing all they can for her. Tell them about the hippy treats! Laughing
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I can suggest hippy treats. My dad does pass out treats when he is ready to go to bed.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Okay, here's Shop Dog's story. It's REALLY long, but blame Sue, she asked for it.

14+ years ago, my hub was driving home one snowish winter day when he saw a small dog WAY off in a field by the highway. He stopped, got out and looked. Way across the field, the pup put it's ears up and looked back. Sam walked a little way into the field and got down on one knee. That's all it took. The pup took off running towards him! It stumbled and fell several times, but never gave up until it literally threw itself into Sam's arms. He got it into the truck, skinny, pitiful, shaking like a leaf, and headed back to town, straight for our vet's office. That pup stayed glued to Sam's side all the way back. Sam said he had to shoehorn her off him when he finally got her to the vet's, and it nearly broke his heart.

Long story short, (chorus: *too late!*) the little 4-month old girl had a back leg so long broken that the lower leg bone had started to grow onto the upper bone. She had to have several surgeries to pry the bones loose and reconstruct the leg (hence her moniker as our million dollar dog -- hoo!). But she was worth every penny! I have literally never known a sweeter puppy. Imagine our surprise when, in a followup visit about a month later, the vet casually mentioned that she's a Pit Bull mix. Well, we'd heard of Pit Bulls and knew their reputation. We were badly taken aback....... for about 3 seconds. By then we already knew this dog and her open, loving heart. Whatever some Pit Bulls may become, this pup was not that. And I can assure you that, in the 15 years since, there has never been an instant that contradicted that belief. Part Pit Bull or not, Shop is 100% love!

Her name: Sam had a small machine shop back then and the pup, who went absolutely everywhere with him, including to work every day, was designated the official Shop Dog. Sam declared that to be her name, and despite my protests that Shop Dog was a title, not a name, he refused to relent. So Shop Dog is her name.

Fast forward past many years of daily adventures for Shop with Sam. Shop saw more sights, met more people and won more hearts than most celebrities. She was also my beloved babygirl for many years, but when Sam and I divorced, she went with him. It broke my heart but, while she loved me, Sam was always the center of her universe and there was never any question she belonged with him. Well, Sam died about 2 years ago and Shop came back to live me. So, after many years together and several years apart, Shop Dog is once again my home dog. Bittersweet for both of us, as you can imagine. We both miss our Sam.

Good news, Shop is still her sweet self, if older and wiser (just like her old Mom). Bad news, at her advanced age she's experiencing the back leg arthritis issues the docs warned us to expect 15 years ago when they repaired her legs. She seemed very much okay for a while, but lately she's showing weakness and pain in her back legs. We (my excellent vet & I) now have her on daily Rimadyl and there's a marked improvement in her mobility and comfort.

God willing, Shop will be with me for a long time to come. She still shows the intense interest and joy of life she's always shown. As long as I'm able to keep her comfortable and happy she will stay with me. When I no longer can, I will let her go so she can make another beeline for her Sam. I have no doubt he's still hanging around outside the Pearly Gates waiting for her, smoking a cigarette and glaring down any angel who might try to persuade him to come inside without his dog. He never let that happen while he was alive; I don't believe he'd start now.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Thank you, what a wonderful story of love and devotion. Like a Star @ heaven I love you
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 pm

How wonderful that Sam saved Shop Dog. I love you
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:59 am

Wonderful story, beautifully told.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Shop Dog would thank you herself for your kind words, dear friends, but she is currently sound asleep in my best chair (which she immediately commandeered when she came home to live with me again tongue ), so I will thank you from both of us for having the patience to read her long story. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm

I'll try to make it short. During this past winter, my parents were feeding feral cats since food was hard to come for the cats. In the spring, three female cats got pregnant. In the spring, two females had their litters one month apart in the shelter that my parents fixed up that was used during the winter. First litter went to animal control. One of the four kittens of the second litter died when it was five days old. That kitten was bitten and it was a male. Another male kitten from the same litter went AWOL and possibly got killed. My parents took the two female kittens in when they were one month old. One of those two died two weeks later. The only kitten left from the second litter is the calico. My parents decided to keep the calico, even though they can't afford a fifth cat.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:32 pm

That was awfully kind of them. Sad story about the babies who didn't make it, but thank goodness the calico has found a good place to be. I'm sure your parents will figure out how to afford it. It's amazing how little they normally need.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Check with local rescues, there are low cost s/n and other programs available.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

Oh yes, we have a low/no cost (depending on your income) clinic here twice a year. Nearly every area in the country has at least one of those now. The local shelter should know who to contact for that.

Bless your parents for taking in the lil orphan (so sorry about her littermates). And doubly bless them for taking care of their moms all winter long.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm

There is a local low cost spay/neuter place downtown. My dad is going with the kitten package the regular vet office has. She saw the emergency vet a month ago since she wasn't being her playful self. The emergency vet thought that the worm that was in her intestine had made it to her stomach. She got worm medicine that night. She saw the regular vet few weeks ago for the first time and she got her second worm medicine then. The kitten package does include testing for leukemia, fhiv and spay/neuter. I guess I should post pictures of the calico in the forum sometime soon.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Please, please. We'd love to "meet" her. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Glad your vet has a "kitten package" to offer......sounds like they include just about everything in it short of spaying when they're a tad bigger and older.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 pm

So, is this calico kit our Miss Junko?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Oh Yes, is it? Enquiring minds want to know!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:56 pm

The calico is Miss Junko.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down