Adoption stories

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adoption stories

Post by fluffnstuff on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:41 pm

There have been times when I wonder how someone acquired a particular pet. I thought it be neat to share various adoption stories of furkids of all kinds past and present. Anyone can share adoption stories and it doesn't matter if the pets are birds, rats, mice, cats etc.

I don't remember what year it was without backtracking, but one year I noticed meowing coming from a neighbor's shrubs. I found the cat and noticed she walking on three legs and one front leg had a bite so deep that the bone showed. I picked up this injured black and white cat and my mom told me to put her in the bathroom. It came to me to think of a name and I finally decided on the name of Lorien. My parents took her to the vet, only to find out she had a fever. To make it shorter, the leg started to heal and fever went away. Lorien's leg healed quite nicely and she didn't have to lose it. We already had Arwen at this point and she taught Lorien what she needed to know.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Adoption stories

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 pm

i love to read these stories....will tell the story about me and the rescue kitties a bit later...i'm just too tired to write much tonight!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 pm

That's a wonderful story about how you found Lorien, Fluff. I think it was meant to be because, even though L was terribly wounded, she allowed you to pick her up. Very unusual. Smart cat: she was welcomed into a home with not just caring humans but a kitty mentor as well! Lucky cat. Lucky both of you. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 pm

I know I've talked about my dear little Daisy the WonderBeagle all the time I've known you guys, but not lately. I'm sorry to tell you that Daisy passed away last fall. I apologise for not sharing that with you before, but I was just too fragile at the time. Daisy's adoption story is not unusual. I went to the shelter to take some dogfood and made the mistake of visiting the dogs. Daisy simply demanded that I take her home RIGHT NOW, and that was that. What else could I do? She was The WonderBeagle and I had no choice but to accede to her wishes. She was elderly then, but happily lorded over me for another 5 years with all the love and luxury I could give her. Last October she peacefully reached her time to go. I still miss her.

I have another dog in my life now, Shop Dog, who I've mentioned here recently. I will tell her story, but it will have to be in another post. It's quite long and dramatic!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Suzzzz, I am so sorry about Daisy. Sad
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Lorien may have well been near death too and that may have been her way of asking for help. At the time, we thought she was a three month old kitten and the vet said she was between 1-1 1/2. She quadrupled in size and put on five times the weight since. That girl is now 17 pounds of fluff. Shocked
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 am

My first cat was Samantha - a stray wandering about my condo in North Jersey, in the fall of 1981. She was probably a Russian Blue heritage, silver gray with marvelous GREEN eyes! A real lover of people, a definite lapcat. She stay with me until early in 1997 when the vet and I finally decided to end her misery caused by bone cancer, in her mouth. Samantha - the tv character, was a witch, and Samantha, my cat, was a witch because of the way she bewitched me into taking her into my life!

Mommacat and Vic came along n 1997 as shelter adoptees. I wanted an older cat, thus Mommacat, a Maine Coon heritage. She had had several kittens at the shelter, but only one was left, so I took both of them. I thought the kitten was female, so I named the pair Mommacat and Ms. Kitty (clever, don't you think? Laughing ) Vet says I was wrong, Ms. Kitty was Mr. Kitty Rolling Eyes Needed a new name - friends suggested the movie about the girl who disguised herself as a man who was playing a girl in a play, thus "Victor Victorious", or Vic. Both were not a lapcat type, but still liked to be close to me. Vic was generally a fraidycat whenever anyone would come by for a visit, ducking under my bed. Mom checked out the company, rubbed around their legs, but just don't try to pick her up! She was with me until late 2009, then we sent her on her way to the Bridge because of lymphoma. Vic stayed until just a few weeks ago - well, I won't take up space here - there's a section on Vic's passing on another page. Sad

I hope to see them all someday - Samantha, Mommacat, Vic - in that special place in Heaven across the Rainbow Bridge!

Jim
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Suzzzz, I am so sorry to hear of Daisy's passing. ((((HUG))))) Do you still have the crocheted fishy toy that she loved to play with, or did you send it with her to the bridge?

My first furkid was Tinker, a 5# peekapoo that my dad brought home as a tiny pup from work because he felt guilty. See, I was in kindergarten at the time and came home with the mumps, but mom hadn't had them as a kid. So off to grandma's I go to keep her from coming down with them, unfortunately too late. Mom caught them, but the day before they showed up she felt horribly sick and didn't do much housework. My dad was short-tempered with her, then saw her broken out in mumps the next day, and felt bad for how he'd treated her. He'd always said NO to furkids before this. But guilt and luck had a hand that day in our fate, since a coworker of his had pups that needed homes. He brought home Tinker, tiny enough to fit into the palms of your hands. White with apricot colored ears. He had this trick of doing a handstand to pee, trying to fool neighborhood dogs into thinking he was bigger. Very free with the sloppy kisses too. Was quite friendly with our wild pet squirrel, who was not afraid of this tiny dog. In fact, a couple times they were almost nose to nose on the porch, checking each other out. Very sweet lil pup, he only lived about 5 years. He had epilepsy (and no meds available at the time for furkids) and had bad ulcers throughout his digestive tract at the end. He died, alone, shortly after surgery for the ulcers. I was so upset I swore I'd never go back into that building and to this day I haven't.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 am

Suzzz, I'm sorry to hear about Daisy. We all understand how fragile
we become under those circumstances. Thoughts and prayers are with
you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm not sure if I shared how my parents came across Arwen, but I will tell it. It was late summer of 2003 when I went to the pet store with my mom to help her with something there. The local shelter had brought animals to the store that were adoptable. My parents weren't looking for another pet then, but I couldn't resist looking at the animals. I made my way to look at the cats that were brought and tried to interact with one of the cats. The next thing I know, something was tapping my hat. I looked up and there was this one eyed tuxedo kitten. She gave me this 'Take me home now!' look. We found out her sad story of being dumped along with her litter mates by a creek Evil or Very Mad. Someone else came along only to see that she had one eye hanging out and she was the sole survivor of the litter. A month later, my mom was able to track her down so she could be adopted and she was three months old at that point. I ended up renaming her Arwen since I thought Blinkie wasn't a good name. The shelter came up with Blinkie. Four years later, she suddenly died in my parent's home.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Arwen was a wonderful name. Fluffnstuff she had four wonderful
years with you. It was far better than Blinkie, bless the rescue peoples
hearts, sometimes the last things on their minds is a name.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm

I thought Arwen was much better than Blinkie too. She was given a well loved home with people who loved her just as she was. We all thought she was a perfect pet. My brother referred her as a pirate cat. confused
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts for me and my Daisy. These stories can be bittersweet because sometimes the angels we talk about are no longer with us. But I'm glad we're telling them because they are also about love and life and the often miraculous ways we connected with those who've meant so much to us, and we to them.

Fluff, I love the story of Arwen tapping your hat! Hoo, what a trial she endured before she found you! Shocked I'm glad you re-named her. "Blinky" was okay for the shelter, but in her true home she deserved a more Queenly name. "Arwen" was quite fitting, IMO.

Fif, I loved Tinker's story, too. Never underestimate the power of guilt! My first cat came to me because my parents felt so sorry for me having poison ivy all over my face that they let me have a kitten from the litter up the street, and I've never looked back! Tinker sounds like a true sweetheart.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:55 pm

I vaguely remember the two obnoxious poodles
that my parents had. I know I had the occasional
cat but they weren't with me very long.

As and adult though, my first cat was named Bobcat, she had
a docked tail. This was not the natural bob of manx or other short
tailed breeds. She was a tiger tabby with streaks of orange in her.
She showed up at the condo where my ex husband and I lived. She
was looking for someting to eat and a place to stary. Bobcat would come
in at night and then go out in the morning. Once she realized she had found
a home she would stay in our small backyard. Bobcat was a wonderful cat and
came to us in late 81 or 82. We think she was around five years old at the time.
She crossed the Bridge 15 Aoil 1991.

Last edited by Sue Short on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Our next furkid was Bruno, a small poodle who had showdog parents, but was in between their sizes and had a small silver spot on his otherwise spotless black coat, so he couldn't follow in their pawprints. Smartest dog I've ever known in my life. He was almost human. Now this was about six months after Tinker had died, and mom was planning on giving my sis and I a birthday party for the first time in our lives. But we missed having a dog so much (we begged and pleaded for months) so she gave us a choice: the party or a dog. No question, we left immediately to adopt a pup. While we sat in the car (mom knew we'd want to take them ALL home), mom went in to look at the pups at a breeders' house (I know, but our car would not make it the nearest shelter) and a little while later she comes out with this pup in her arms. We held him all the way home and he got carsick (my dad was no happy about that). As we pulled into the driveway we realized two things: dinner was late (a big taboo with dad) and dad had locked himself out of the house and had been waiting there for over two hours for us. After Tinker died he had said NO MORE PETS so he was not happy when we were late and showed up with a pup. Mom calmly walked up to him, handed him that pup, said "You name him" and unlocked the door. He figured he was outnumbered and outvoted so the pup got to stay (besides, all sales are final with that breeder). So he thought it would be funny to give this little dog a big dogs' name, hence Bruno. That dog was so smart, he learned tricks the first time we showed him. He taught us a few tricks too. Loved kids and holidays. Always napped among the presents under the Christmas tree. Never took more than one dog cookie from an easily reached dish on the endtable unless told he could. Took the tv guide and chocolate bars to members of the family without so much as a toothmark or drool on it.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Poodles are incredible dogs. Unfortunely my opinion of
them was shaped by the two my parents had. The dogs
were totally out of control. Still they can be great dogs.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:00 pm

i'm not too hip on poodles...esp the little ones. but i'm not too hip on what are considered pocket pets or fashion accessories on the most part. not saying they're all bad, but too many people have them because they are the hip thing or they look cool. its a different story when they are doggy dogs....does that make sense? (doggy dogs run around and roll in the grass Smile ).

my first 'just mine' dog i got at 8. he was the only dog i ever had that was mine...other they seemed to be dogs my father wanted to have or the one my mom wanted. (who was a 'boston bulldog but turned out to be a pug'!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Bruno was between the Miniature and Teacup size. If we hadn't adopted him, I shudder to think what might've happened to him. He was very smart, easily trained, and very lovable. When he was a pup he wouldn't eat out of a bowl on the floor, he wanted to eat with us...........so we dug out our old highchair and sat him in that at the table with the rest of the family, his plate on the highchair tray. From the window all the neighbors could see was the smallest sliver of the back of his black curly-haired head. They thought my mom had a new baby. We'd only lived there less than a year when we got him so they didn't know whether she was expecting or not. Bruno died in my arms looking into my eyes on the way home from the vet's office, he'd had problems with his heart the night before so I took him in.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Fif, he sounded like he was a wonderful dog.
To train him to sit in a high chair like that. Well
that was great.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 pm

I used to dislike poodles -- got bit by one when I was a kid. But, I've since met some really nice and well trained ones. I guess it just goes to show that any dog can be good if its people take the time to teach it to behave.

We had a little dog in Turkey. She was part of a shepherd's herding crew, but she was little and wasn't much of a herding dog. She was just kind of loping around and being a pain to the working crew. So, my dad brought her home. She wasn't anything special... Just a cinnamon colored short haired mutt. But, she was one of the most loving dogs a family could have. She dealt well with all of us kids too. I miss her badly sometimes and she's been gone for about 30 years. (Geez! I feel OLD.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:59 pm

We got Bullet from a pet store in 1998. Yes. I said a pet store. Please don't hate me. I was only 14 at the time and I am much wiser about pet stores now. He has always had asthma. Bullet is the best pet we ever had...when he leaves us I don't think I will ever get another dog in my life...because there will never be another dog like him.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Don't aplogise for your pet store babe, Warrior. Those poor critters need homes, too, and will always be with us until we shut down the underlying cause, the hateful pupply mills. But that's a rant for another day. Bullet sounds like a true treasure! I love you

My first cat as an adult was also from a pet shop. I was very young and very preg and feeling very low when one day my hub surprised me with a Siamese kitten. Oh, my friends, she was gorgeous but way too young and tiny to be away from her mother (probably 4-5 weeks old), and had weepy eyes to boot. Even then I was horrified that the shop had sold her so young and, knowing what I know now, I shudder to think where she came from. But she and I comforted each other in ways I can't explain, and formed a bond that kept us together for the next 13 years. Raina was my mainstay through the most tumultuous years of my life, and through it all she was funny, sweet and loving. She was one of the greatest blessings of my life, and the fact that she came to me from a pet shop just makes it that much more amazing.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am

I agree. There is no shame is rescuing a kitty from a bad place. My first "as an adult" kitty was from a pet store. A friend who moved somewhere she couldn't have pets gave me Indiana Jones, whom I had known since he came home with her. She found a little DSH kitty in the store next to the pedigrees. Of course, he was priced cheap and looked pathetic. She couldn't leave him there because he stood almost no chance next to the Persians and Siamese. Who would pay for a kitty they could get for next to free at the shelter?

He JUMPED out of the carrier and led my friend on a merry chase all over the mall -- hence his name, Indiana Jones Adventure Kitty. He was one of the coolest cats I've ever known.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Sounds like Indy has things in common with my foster kitty, Errol Feline.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Our next furkids to join our growing furfamily were gerbils: the two runts of the litter no one wanted from the pet store. There were other, bigger, healthier gerbils there we could've adopted but we felt sorry for them and took them home with us. They were very sweet and loving and Bruno would watch them play for hours. And they loved to come out to play with my sis and I too. The smallest runt was mine and despite being the runt that nobody thought would live long, she not only outlived her entire litter but also exceeded the average age for a gerbil by over 6 months. 3 1/2 is extremely old for a gerbil.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum