Seeking Pet Heath Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seeking Pet Heath Advice

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 pm

I want to ask if anyone out there has given yogurt to their dog when she is taking antibiotics, and if it seemed to help? My Shoppers had a small run-in with a possum Tuesday night and, although the possum went into "play dead" mode pretty quickly, they did trade mouth bites at first. Next morning the vet gave Shop a rabies booster (even though possums are not considered a carrier, we decided to be safe) and put her on antibiotics for the small bites on her mouth. Shop is 15 and has always had an iffy tummy. She is doing well on the antibiotics so far, no gacking or dire-rear Wink but I wonder if some yogurt pro-biotics might help her survive the next 9 days more comfortably.

Any thoughts? Experience?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Seeking Pet Heath Advice

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 pm

i think the folks upstairs have given yogurt to the doxies....but i won't say 100%. I will tell ya to look for the lowest sugar possible....and i think that's best found in the greek versions.
if nobody here has used it before....and i come in here tomorrow night and see that....i'll ask andrea what she's done. i know when beauy was sick and on a lot of medication she gave him something that was human to help his stomach. i just don't want to say it was pepto or what until i've talked to her.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Jeane's right if you do give yogurt buy the lowest suger
possible. I gave Ascot yogurt the last month or so of
his life and it did help. I would recommend a tradtional
greek yogurt. DO NOT USE the low fat or no fat. They are
incredibly high in suger and sodium..If you can find it try goats
milk. With cats no more than a half teaspoon a day.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I think we gave Pepto to our Noelle when she was on antibiotics and I gave a small dose to my Miss Kitty whenever she was on them for her repeated abscesses. Didn't know about giving them yogurt then.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:25 pm

I bought plain lo-fat yogurt, but it does have a high sugar content and that worries me. I saw Greek yogurt in the store but didn't know what that was so didn't get it. I will go again tomorrow and read the cartons more carefully.

I read online that yogurt might be helpful but shouldn't be given at the same time as the antibiotic pill as it may impede the process. Shop Dog has her pill morning and evening... I guess she should have the yogurt for lunch. Smile
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 pm

the easiest way i can explain the difference between regular yogurt and greek is that greek is thicker and most like original yogurt (or like they make yogurt when people make it at home...you can really make your own yogurt with just a little effort, some milk and an oven that you can set pretty low....i had a friend from india who showed me how to do it when i was in tx. i think one of the muslim ladies at work makes her own as well....the only problems is she's working the overnight shift so i don't get to see her at this time of year.).

there's also a type of yogurt from someplace else..i don't know if its swiss or someplace in canada....but its very simple and not sweet...and thick. i've got to remember what its called! its expensive (I got it for $1 off and i think it was almost $2) but you'd only need a little bit a day so it wouldn't hurt.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Thank you, Jeane. I will look at the grocery store and also at Whole Foods. But, as much as I love Shop Dog, I will NOT be making my own yogurt! Shocked Lol!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Antibiotics

Post by pupskweek on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 am

It's always important to replace the natural bacteria in the gut when giving antibiotics, for people as well as our fur-friends! The best thing to do is to buy a natural probiotic from the pet store or on-line. I know it really helped Lucie when she was so sick. (When we raised goats we used to take a cud from a healthy doe and give it to a sick one to replace the bacteria....) Good luck--a possum bite is really scary. Dogs seem to think it's important to bite them, I don't know why--Jenny used to attack any possum she saw, yikes!
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks, Pup, and all of you! Just to update, Shop did NOT tolerate the first antibiotic well, and when we started the alternative one I gave her a helping of plain organic yogurt every day at midday (so as not to interfere with the morning & night antibiotic). It meant going home every day at lunchtime for 2 weeks (an hour trip -- goodbye vacation time!) but she managed to take every pill and keep it down. YAAA!!! cheers

Last Saturday morning, New Years Day, she swallowed her last pill and she seems well and happy and full of life. Smile Next weekend I will catch a cup of pee to take to the vet for examination to be absolutely sure, but I feel confident this UTI episode is finally behind us. Very Happy
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Sounds like the yogurt did the trick in keeping the meds down. Makes missing all that vacation time kinda worth it huh? I hope the UTI test comes back clean............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm

oh i'm glad all the pills are gone and gone down well! now we know a new way to use the yogurt...between the pills and not with the pills!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Poo, I never go anywhere anyway, so I consider the vacation time VERY well spent! Very Happy

And yes, I think this is important for any of us who must give our furkids antibotics from time to time (which is pretty much all of us, yes?). I did a lot of research on the internet and it seems that yogurt, while helpful in maintaining the "good flora" in the tummy, should not be given WITH the antibiotic because it could dampen the effect. The consensus seems to be 3-4 hours away from pill time, so that's what I tried to do. Also, organic plain yogurt was recommended. We might like the fruit and sugar in most yogurts, but dogs and cats are much better off without that stuff. Certainly, in my recent experience, that's not a prob. Shop Dog was happy to scarf any yogurt offered, and WeezerCat stomped around until she got a little lick, too. Nobody demanded blueberries! Wink

Thanks for all your support, my friends! I'll give you the final (I hope) pee report next week.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:54 pm

My sis' little dog Maggie will do almost anything for a blueberry!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 pm

i think if you tossed a blueberry to one of the doxies upstairs they'd catch it and spit it out like poison. the rescue kitties might paw it around the floor and play with it but they're not fruity cats. (though for some reason carter likes onion dip and will eat the little piece of onion if its stick in with it....i don't feed him the onions, but he has gotten two of those tiny pieces and he munched em down!).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Ha! Shop loves apples, and also celery. I'm not saying that! I'm just saying the fruit in the yogurt I like is not necessary to get my furkids to eat it, and the plain kind is probably better, medically speaking, when attempting pro-biotic therapy during a course of antibiotics. Plus, I'm SURE they don't need all the sugar that's in flavored yogurt! Mad
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:21 pm

My Lyra doesn't like the mixed up yogurt. She wants the unmixed portion, which I'm sure is still somewhat sweetened, but if you stir it up first, she turns her little nose up at it.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 pm

good pooch..with most yogurts i agree with her. i'd rather eat the top part and then eat the fruit part after but i'd really rather just have the smooth yogurt....Stonyfield makes a good smooth peach and lemon and i think maybe strawberry.nothing for a doggy really but good for a human;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Depends on the dog, I knew one who loved the taste of fresh lemons!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by pupskweek on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Suzzy--clever of you to research that--I should have thought of it, when hoomans get antibiotics there is a warning on the pills not to take with or soon after/before milk. Vets should be as careful as that too. Hope to hear soon that Shop is all well again--best wishes and <<>>

Pups and Lucie
pupskweek
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum