Vic has gone to the Rainbow Bridge

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vic has gone to the Rainbow Bridge

Post by jimkr2t on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi everyone - Vic has passed on Sunday afternoon. I was concerned that he might have had a stroke or something like that early Sunday afternoon. He couldn't seem to get his paws going together especially if he was on a hard surface - he seemed to be slipping and sliding. On the carpeted floors, he was alright - to a point, but he wanted to hide in the corners away from me. I picked him up, put him on my lap, and started to watch the football game on tv. After a while, I went into the kitchen to check on dinner - and finally became aware that he hadn't moved. I checked, couldn't get a response, couldn't feel his breathing, and noticed that his body was gradually getting cold. My only guess was that he passed away while snuggled in my lap. I'll talk to his vet tomorrow (Monday) to see what they can do. His body is in the garage to keep it cool, but it may be to late to do anything like a necropsy. In any event, I'll have them do a cremation and give me the ashes so I can place him next to his Mommacat under the tree.

Vic was 14 years old, a strictly indoor cat, who, for 13 years didn't cotton to ANYBODY but me. The last year, he began to be more friendly, didn't hide from guests but rather hung around and even allowed his head to be scratched at times. Oh, Vic, what a time for you to leave me! You will be missed! Peace! Cross the Rainbow Bridge and say hello to MommaCat, Samantha, Buddy, and many others waiting there.

To those who've lost a furry friend, there is this:

"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears - but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you --- I loved you so - 'twas Heaven here with you."
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Vic has gone to the Rainbow Bridge

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Oh, Jim, no. No! Oh, I'm crying too hard to type.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Oh, Jim... Words fail. We're here when you want to talk.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 pm

At least Vic crossed peacefully.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Jim, I don't know what to say except that you did everything right without even realizing it. Your boy was distressed but you didn't let him hide in the corner, you took him onto your lap. He went peacefully in the calming comfort of his most beloved companion.

My heart is with you both.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:53 pm

I am so sorry, Jim. Sad

Vic is with his Momma now.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:00 pm

So sorry you lost your beautiful friend. Everyone here knows how hard that is, and we feel for you.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 am

My heart and prayers go out to you.
May the peace of the Lord which passeth
beyond all understanding to be with you at
this time.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan A on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:36 am

Jim, I am so sorry. You and Vic are in my prayers.

Though I know the reality of the loss is inescapable and that your heart is broken, I am grateful for both your sakes that the passing was tender and calm. Perhaps he relaxed into soothing sleep and gently departed from there.

Peace be with you...
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks to all for their kind wishes. I took Vic's body over to the vet's this morning (Monday). Dr. Jackie will do a biopsy and any other tests she feels necessary, then Vic will be given a complete cremation and the ashes will be returned to me for burial near Mommacat.

Jim
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jim. Vic had a great friend in you.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Vic's crossing the bridge. My heart goes out to you, I know exactly how it feels to have a beloved furkid pass in my arms. At least Vic passed peacefully cuddled with you, the best place he could possibly have been in. He knew when you went after him and picked him up to put in your lap, he knew then without a doubt that he was wanted and very much loved right up to the very last second...........I'm wiping away the tears as I type this.............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 pm

oh no.....i'm so sorry jim. i'm really with susan a....
i have a feeling that he might have let go when you left the room....people do that as well.
there will be a candle lit the next few days to light his way and his remembrance.
if there's anything you neede, or if you just want to talk i'm here for ya. i'm on here most evenings.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:05 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Vic, but I'm happy that he had such a peaceful passing , surrounded by his most beloved.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 am

I got a call from the vet's Tuesday afternoon. Dr. Jackie said that she'd found nothing "obvious" - that is, she couldn't find the actual thing that called Vic away from us. He DID NOT have lymphoma that had taken Mommacat last year. There were some nodes that were enlarged, but again nothing major. His pancreas was enlarged and discolored, but that could be a result of the delay (almost 1 day) before I got his body to the vet's. There also was some enlargement of the thyroid, basically on one side. And there was some problems with the intestines, maybe a sign of IBD - but that wasn't something that would be fatal. Vic had had a complete blood test earlier in the year, and things like diabetis, T4, etc were negative. We could send samples of brain tissue, etc to Penn Vet's for more detailed look, but I said no. Based upon the staggering walk and clumbsiness that he was showing earlier on Sunday, Dr. Jackie felt that he had either brain cancer or a stroke caused by a blood clot moving up from his legs to the brain. In any event, he went quickly and without pain.

The vet will arrange for cremation, they'll contact the company that makes the small case for the remains, and will call me when all is ready. Again, thank you for your kind wishes
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:20 am

I got a call from the vet's Tuesday afternoon. Dr. Jackie said that she'd found nothing "obvious" - that is, she couldn't find the actual thing that called Vic away from us. He DID NOT have lymphoma that had taken Mommacat last year. There were some nodes that were enlarged, but again nothing major. His pancreas was enlarged and discolored, but that could be a result of the delay (almost 1 day) before I got his body to the vet's. There also was some enlargement of the thyroid, basically on one side. And there was some problems with the intestines, maybe a sign of IBD - but that wasn't something that would be fatal. Vic had had a complete blood test earlier in the year, and things like diabetis, T4, etc were negative. We could send samples of brain tissue, etc to Penn Vet's for more detailed look, but I said no. Based upon the staggering walk and clumbsiness that he was showing earlier on Sunday, Dr. Jackie felt that he had either brain cancer or a stroke caused by a blood clot moving up from his legs to the brain. In any event, he went quickly and without pain.

The vet will arrange for cremation, they'll contact the company that makes the small case for the remains, and will call me when all is ready. Again, thank you for your kind wishes.

jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Considering how suddenly his symptoms came on I'm more inclined to agree that it was a stroke rather than brain cancer. Even a fast-growing cancer would've had him showing some symptoms before his last day here with you. Enlarged lymph nodes (if it isn't lymphatic cancer) only indicate that there in an infection going on somewhere, the location of those enlarged nodes clues you in to approximately where the infection is centered. (this is also true for humans BTW)

It's a comfort that Vic went fast without pain. He didn't suffer.

Will you be getting another marker stone for Vic like you did for Mommacat?

(((((((((((((((((HUGS OF UNDERSTANDING SYMPATHY)
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Yes - I'll be getting another marker for Vic - but I won't bury him next to Mom until the spring. You know, he went almost a full year after Mommacat did - it was only a few days before Thanksgiving last year when I made the choice to end her suffering. I hope they've already nestled in together up there!
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan A on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Jim, Thank you for filling us in on what the vet could tell you. I hope the information she was able to provide helps you feel as peaceful as is possible with Vic's passing.

Hang in there, friend.
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Thank you for letting us know. My prayers and thoughts
are with you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Jim, I know you will give all honor to Vic in his final resting place, and I know you will give it much thought. I think a Spring burial next to Mommacat would be fine and fitting. I hope you will let us share and remember with you.

As for Momma and Vic, I have no doubt they are together, and probably worrying about you in their own kitty way. My only advice is, whenever you feel their presence, be open to it, accept it, and take comfort in it. Love works both ways.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:32 pm

No more Vic in the world...? That's not right... Sad
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Jim, that was very much what happened to Blue, except his mobility was gone instantly, it seems, and he cried out to us from the basement so we could find him. He never regained more than the tiniest motion of his front toes, and we had to make the decision to end his suffering - something that still haunts us to this day. At least Vic went peacefully - and he must have if he passed in your lap. It's the best way to go - in the arms of your loved one.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Latest thing on Vic. I got the call from the vet's that his remains had come in, so I went over to pick them up. Don't know whether the "Paws to Heaven Creamatorium" that they use has changed the size of the caskets since Mom's passing last year, but Vic's was bigger - 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 X 5 for Mom and 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 6 for Vic. Maybe his ashes took up more room. The vet did not charge for the necropsy - bless her!

I'm amazed at the way the internet works out. I wanted a memorial stone for Vic like the one for Mom, but I couldn't remember the dealer. Sad Checked with a friend who had ordered two stones based on my recommendation. She didn't keep any records either Embarassed She thought the name began with "R". Checked Google listing - maybe it was "Remmeer, Ltd"?? Sent them an email to see if they had any record of my previous order - got a QUICK Cool reply, of COURSE they remembered me!! Sent me a copy of the order, etc. I followed with the order for Vic's memorial stone. I'll wait until Spring to bury him next to Mom in the front yard under the tree. Ain't the internet wonderful cheers

Missing my furkids, Jim.
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:57 pm

not just the net but the vet and the company that made the memorial...they must be a good place to be understanding enough to go through their records and find your last order.

the Rescue Kitties are sending some kitty lovin vibes down your way...hope they don't make a wrong turn on the turnpike;) cat cat cat cat cat cat
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum