Rattyton...

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rattyton...

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 pm

That is very good news. I'm glad everyone likes the petsitter. Did you have a good flight?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Loved hearing all about the rattys' personalities -- I can just see them! And it sounds like the other kids understand they have a babysitter and are content to play nice. I'm so glad it's working out. Have a lovely time in CA!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm

i'm just picturing the ratties sitting on your heads and shoulders;)
do they have little things to chew on? i'm trying to remember if rats have to chew on little things like the wood sticks like bunnies do?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:59 pm

The ratties could chew on little wood sticks, but they don't like to. They are like beavers and other rodents in that their teeth continue to grow. To keep them trimmed down, we give them uncooked pasta. They LOVE the kind made out of the different vegetables, the tri-color pasta. We also put in different hard treats to keep them filed down. Ghost likes to chew on the cage's bars, but that does make her look like a wild, crazy rattie.

They seem to be doing fine with the pet sitter, so I'm very happy about that. Very Happy

Last edited by mockingbird on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:49 pm

hey, Nobe likes to bite the chicken wire they have over part of the cage bars in her kitty condo! she looks a lot weirder than Ghost does i'm sure!
uncooked pasta,eh? hmm.....do they like a certain shape ...like are the spirals better than something like a shell?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Interesting, I never thought of uncooked pasta as a way to keep lil teeth trimmed. I bet my mice would've loved it (I used to have them about 15 years ago).
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 am

I thought I'd better put up some new pictures (and one old one!) of the ratties while Slumber is still with us. I feel her time is growing short. (thread in the concerns and questions forum, for those who are not aware of our little Slumber's health problems.)

I posted a thread on my wild gooseberry site for anyone wishing to see the newer pictures of the rat pack. Wink
http://www.wildgooseberry.com/?p=1188

Welcome and enjoy.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 pm

They are all so cute! It won't be quite the same when Slumber leaves...........and I know from the way they act around her they WILL grieve like we will. Vet have any suggestions for dealing with that when the time comes?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Thank you for the pictures, Mockingbird. Such great love there, from humans and critters! So often there's an outpouring of love and pictures and testimonials when a loved one passes away, and that's as it should be. But you remind us to also do what the ratties are doing now, appreciating each other while we're together.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 pm

i second what suzzzz said..and add that i love the pic of Georgia Rose and her 'pets'Smile
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm speechless. All I can say is that I agree. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Thank you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:47 am

Rattyton has been extremely quiet since Slumber's passing.
On Tuesday, I cleaned out the hosptital cage really well and placed the ratties in it. Then I took out the shelves and ramps and everything out of the big Rattyton cage and scrubbed it really good. When I put stuff back in, I changed it all around and made it as "new" as I could, hoping it would help everyone to move on a little bit, myself included. We gave them all water baths, which some took better than others. Raya was very vocal in her protest and Sweetie just kept climbing my arm like she was climbing a coconut tree. I need to remember to wear long-sleeved shirts next time. She didn't break the skin, but those little rat claws are sharp! Even gentle little Ghost squeaked when it was her time to be shampooed, but only once. They spent the better part of the afternoon preening themselves, which was a distraction from their sadness.

They had fun running around, exploring the changes in their home. It was very difficult for me to take down the hammocks as Slumber's little body had left an impression in the upstairs hammock. I could see her little face peeking over the side of the hammock and of course, I cried. I also took out her running wheel, which really made me sad, but it was worse having it in there. She was the only one to use it and it was just in everyone else's way. I re-read some of this thread and back in December I wrote about Slumber running and running and then suddenly stopping to sleep. We had no idea her need to sleep so much was because of her heart condition. Poor little rattie.

So, now there are three little inhabitants in Rattyton. We were very worried about Ghost who has been Slumber's best friend, but the other ratties are keeping her company. Ghost was still waiting for Slumber to come back all day Monday and finally went downstairs with the other two on Monday night. On Tuesday and Wednesday, Sweetie and Raya have not let Ghost be by herself for very long. Sometimes they will all pile in together, other times it's one or the other with her, but Ghost has only been alone for minutes at a time. They are very subdued and only today have been acting a little bit like normal.

It's so different without Slumber there. I miss her very much and I was concerned that Rattyton would just make me sad all the time now. It does in a way, but it's helped changing things around in there. I'm also finally able to really focus on the other three. Slumber had been the priority for months now and I'm afraid I've not pet the others as much as they needed. They all were taken out and pet yesterday for a long time. We haven't had rattie playtime since Slumber passed, but it's about that time, I think. It would be good for them to have some fun.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Its probably good that they all have each other I love you . More than likely, they are finding lots of distraction in the paradise that is Rattyton, which by the way, sounds very huge. Does it take up a whole room?!! Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm glad the other ratties are keeping Ghost company, they seem to know she's grieving more than they are. It's good that they have fun, to get their minds off their loss. Good for you too to have fun with them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 am

ARNIgal, no it doesn't take up a whole room, but I'm sure they wish it did! It is a large cage, three levels with ramps to connect the levels. I will have to take a long-shot picture to show you.

I've made a swing-bed for them out of an oatmeal box. They LOVED it! Well, it got all rattified, so I was going to replace it. I had another box ready, but then I couldn't find it. I used a little square box instead and it was not received very well. The night before last, I saw Raya (who really loved the round oatmeal box) tearing at the square box. The next day, the thing was completely torn apart. Well, I guess that was her protest! I found the box I had meant to use and am going to put it up for them today.

Everyone seems to be doing ok and are keeping each other good company. I told them that almost all the pictures I had of them were of them sleeping in their hammocks! I'm going to have to get some of them running around. I guess I am trying not to show their tails because I know some people get weirded out by them, but well, they do have tails! So, I will take some of them being more active. They actually do more than sleep all day!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm

A couple of action shots when they're in the playground during playtime would be cute. The swing bed sounds like it would be fun for ratties. They can sleep in it like a hammock, but also play in it too.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum