Feral for life

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Feral for life

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Jeff needs to have something thrown at him and find it's mark! He should know better than to torment a helpless innocent kitty. What a jerk doesn't begin to describe what I think of people like him that do this sort of thing............

IF the kits get caught at a young enough age, they can be tamed and adopted out. I sure hope you can find something to bait the trap that is totally irresistable to that tortie. Disguise the trap if you can so it looks like a cozy like underground den........my mom used a blanket covered with grass clippings and a few twigs. Baited it with tuna and a few strips of steak. Managed to catch 32 kitties in less than a month in the trailer park that way, including the wary tom.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Becky, Fif, he's already crossed me on that subject. Well worth the uproar.

Tonight's adventure includes going over to where I'm critter sitting. This is the people who
had taken in a kitten they found under there house about two or more years ago. Tragically she
got out and was killed. Conner. the son has decided he wants to feed the neighborhood cats. His dad didn't
tell me this. Last night I found a bare handful of kibble. Tonight I took kibble and put out water. The black cat
with collar(BCWC) was waiting. When I left cat was gone some of the kibble had been eaten. When I came back from
the retirement home run all the kibble was gone.

Now as to my wild bunch. Oreo and Sport were hanging around waiting for food. Feed them. Went across the street
where Boomer, Gray and Gw were waiting. Everybody looks good despite the heat. I wish I knew where GW was getting
water from.

One last thing I got chewed on by ants. I don't think they were fire ants but still it smarted. I have some homopahtic stuff
that is great so I'm not worried about it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:41 pm

i don't know if it will help with ants or not, but you might try spritzing some listerine (the plain yellow/gold kind) on your legs,feet....wheverer the ants are nabbing you. i know it helps with misquitos...i think they hate the taste of that listerine as much as humans do!

as for the 'pitcher' i'd throw him a few things....are there any nice little rocks in your area? maybe you could give him a good shake and a few will come flying out of his head!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:21 pm

Well tonight I grabbed a pair of gloves from the Lair. So far no one has eaten at the retirement home station. I'm going to continue to
feed and watch that area for at least another week. See what happens.

Had the Feed Me Duet tonight. Both Oreo and Sport were waiting. So far butt head hasn't been hanging around.
If he does start lurking I'll just move everything to my back porch. Sport was quick to figure out the new spot, I know
he can find the new one. With this heat the scent of food will be very easy to find. Across the street it was Boomer, Gray
and GW.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

The Feed Me Duet.................were Oreo and Sport both singing for their dinner for you?

So sorry to hear that rescued kitty got out and was killed. Sad
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Yeah, it was them and they were singing tonight too!!!! Made the run to the retirement station
the food was gone. I don't know if wild life ate it or cats. Still I'm going to keep going back I know
that someone will eventually show up. Boomer and GW were in their usual spots. GW is starting to talk,
it's a very soft squeak.

Also I spoke to the guy where I was pet sitting. His son is also feeding so I gave Ed some advice and
took over some food tonight because he was out. Hopefully we can get something going there. I'm glad that
Ed is letting his son do this.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 pm

So am I, the poor homeless kitties can use all the help they can get. Bless that kid for wanting to feed them, his heart is in the right place.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Tonight's report is that there was food in the bowl at the retirement home. There was a cat on Ed's
front porch. When I tried to get a closer look the cat started to move off so I didn't get a good look.
Tonight I had the Feed Me Duet. I really hope it doesn't get any louder because my neighbors are early to
bed and I don't want them upset. Across the street it was Boomer and GW. Since I never know if Gray will
be there I take an extra bowl. I'm sure someone is eating it. Actually tonight I gave Oreo and Sport extra
they were starved.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:36 am

If you have the food bowls filled and all ready to go for Oreo and Sport before you walk out the door, the Feed Me duet wouldn't last long. They'd be too busy eating to continue singing.

Cute how the others are starting to talk to you too, they're getting to know and trust you to do that.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:27 pm

I've been doing. The problem is that I go check the retirement home first around
nine and then feed them and the crew across the street around 10. Luckily they shut up when I
leave but crank up again when they hear me approach the door. I don't want to feed them early for
obvious reasons.

Today we had some excitement around 10 this morning. I was in the laundry room and heard the crows and other
boards just raising all kinds of cane. I knew a predator had to be involved but when I looked out the laundry room
door I couldn't see anything. Anyway go back around front and there are the crows and other birds just screaming at
Oreo because she had caught one of them. The bird got away but there are feathers all over the place.

Tonight it was Oreo and Sport in their usual spot, across the street it was Boomer and GW. No Gray so either Boomer or
GW will get the extra food.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 am

I went back and read many pages so I could get the idea of what was happening.
Good luck with the wild kitties. I know that feral kittens can be great pets but it really takes some doing to get the adults to trust a person. Good luck and blessings on you for all the effort you're putting in. I really hope it pays off in a good way for all the cats and for you.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Well Mockingbird, so far it has. My neighbors and I have been rodent free for almost
two years. Also I've gotten the cats sprayed and neutered so I'm not adding to the homeless
population.

Tonight when I checked the retirement/home I didn't see anyone but I heard someone in
the bushes. The food dish was empty so I put out fresh food and water. Didn't see anybody on
Ed's front porch. Here there was an possum at the water dish but he/she moved off after getting a good
drink. Oreo and Sport were outside singing to me when they heard me at the door. They actually left a few
bites but then it's so hot. Across the street it was Boomer and GW. I'm still putting out extra food in case
Gray shows back up.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 am

Your area made our local news, Sue. It's so hot in Dallas that they are worrying about the electricity grid. Sigh... I sure hope it cools off for you soon. TS Emily doesn't look like it's going to help at all. (Is it still a TS?)

I hope all the feral bunch are ok and have found nice, cool places. It is amazing how they can find comfort even when we're sure everything outside will just roast.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 am

Becky, it is just horrendous here. Right now the the temp is in the low 80's
and I think that was the overnight lows. I think they are holing up under the houses
and and empty building behind the vacant house. Despite it all they are looking good.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:17 pm

I also heard about your temps being 100+ the entire month of July! MyGod, but that is punishing weather.......I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find the kitties have dug a burrow somewhere so it's cooler, like a basement is always cooler because it's underground. I'm glad the kitties still look good despite the horrid weather.

I'm also worried what would happen if the electric grid failed or the utility company decides to do rolling blackouts. A person could die during a blackout.........and so could furkids.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Tonight the food was gone at the retirement/nursing home. The water bowl was barely
damp and covered in ants. I rinsed out the water bowl and refilled it along with the food bowl.
No activity at Ed's. Plenty of activity here. Oreo was already here when I started to leave for
the retirement home and I saw Sport approaching from the alley. Set out food and water for them,
then went across the street where Boomer and GW were waiting. They have plenty of food since Gray
wasn't there.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am

You know it's extra hot when ants come for the dreges of the waterbowl........
I wonder where Gray went off to.......I hope Gray is okay.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Gray floats in and out. I may not see him/her for a month or more. The food and water bowls
were empty at the retirement/home tonight. I put water on Ed's front porch. No activity in that
part of the world. Oreo and Sport were waiting for their food and water. Across the street it was Boomer and
GW.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Well finally meet the woman from Facebook who needed help with her colonies because
she is having cancer surgery. The colonies are not too far from here and I should be able to find
them easily in the dark.

On the home front, food is gone at the retirement/nursing home. There was still about a half a bowl of
water. No sign of cats, same thing at Ed's. Oreo and Sport were loudly singing to me when I went out with
their food. Freshened up their water also. Boomer and GW were waiting for me across the street. I'm still putting
out the extra dish. I know someone will eat it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Yeah, if not kitties then maybe that poor desperate possum? I imagine food for the wildlife is getting scarce with the drought you're still having.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 am

Just back. Still no activity at the retirement/nursing home. Somebody is getting a meal though.
No activity at Ed's house but there was food and water. Here it was Oreo and Sport. I put out their
food and water, then went across the street to feed GW and Boomer.

Tonight was my first night to do what I will be calling the Baylor colonies. They are named for Baylor
Hospital. This is within a five mile radius of where I live. No activity there, but them I'm running on a different
schedule than the woman who I'm replacing. So it may be a while before there are any sightings there.

Anyway before I finish up. When I got back from the run Oreo and Sport were still hanging around. Normally I
don't do this but I still had kibble left in the bag that I took with me so I gave them both a scant handful. Whatever
they don't eat the wildlife is welcome to it. I know they have to be starving also.

Last edited by Sue Short on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammer, I can neither write nor speak the King's English)
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm

You might not see the Baylor kitties for a while, you're a stranger to them even if you had the same exact schedule as the other lady kept. Still, I'm sure once you were out of sight they came to eat.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:15 am

Just back from the run. No sign of anybody at the retirement or Ed's
I freshen up the food and water bowls at both places. Here it was the feed me
duet with Oreo and Sport. Across the street it was GW and Boomer.

Now the the Baylor run. No sign of anybody at the two hospital stops. Food was
gone but again that could have been wildlife. Put out fresh water. The last stop is at a
Boys and Girls Club. Saw black female, she is obviously nursing. I also saw a black kitten and
a gray tabby kitten across the street that could have been hers. Sad I will contact Celia, to make arrangements
to trap her and get her spayed. I will trap and hopefully I can get Celia to transport. Anyway food and water is
out there. This girl while wary wasn't spooky.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Then that one was obviously someone's kitty at one time, poor babe. And her lil ones could be tamed if they're young enough. Think you might be able to trap all three?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:01 am

Fif, when I trap anybody it will to s/n return. Everybody is overwhelmed.

Still nothing at the retirement/nursing home except the food bowl was missing.
I found something to put the food on. Ed's was a bust too. Not so here, our favorite duo
along with Boomer and GW across the way

No sightings at Baylor and at the Boys and Girls Club, all I saw tonight was two kittens
in the yard across the street. So ends tonight's adventure.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum