Ace

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ace

Post by gbste on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 pm

My mom recently passed away, and we are planning to bring her cat, Ace, to our house to live. He is 8 years old, and has pretty much been an only cat his entire life, although he has lived with dogs and other cats for short periods of time. We've been feeding him and spending time with him each day. We're a little concerned about how he's going to react to the zoo at our place--lots of other cats, the dogs, the foster kittens, etc. We thought we'd bring him over for a little while each day so that he could adjust slowly, but it turns out that he freaks when put into a cat carrier, and the first trial with that plan didn't go well. Now we think that we'll just have to bring him home, put him in the room with the kittens (only 4 mellow kitties to deal with to start) and just let him deal with that for starters. He's so afraid of the carrier that we don't think the bathroom will work for him--also a small space. I will spray the room with the calming herbal stuff I have, but Rescue Remedy in the water, and hope for the best.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Ace

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Sounds like a plan to me, but if he can't deal with mellow kittens you may have to put him in a room all by himself for a few days. Just until he settles down a bit. Remember, he's grieving in his own way too. I hope Ace learns to love living with you and your lil 'zoo'. At least he knows you, so he's spared that stress of having 100% of everything changing on him.

So sorry to hear about your mom.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:17 pm

oh poor puss...is he okay to get carried in your arms from the house to the car and the car to the house?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Ace is a BIG cat, and not shy with his claws when he's upset. I wouldn't want to risk losing him, so he'll have to go in the carrier again. My foster kittens LOVE the carrier, and we almost can't get them out of it when someone needs to go to the vet. I wish my mom had habituated Ace in that way.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Our cats hate the carrier only because my parents keeps all the carriers out of sight.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:46 pm

We keep the carrier out in their room, with comfy towels inside. It's their favorite spot for a nap--usually all at once.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:42 pm

so far i haven't had any problems getting the Rescue Kitties in the carrier (except for Judy but that was a different story). Salem is pretty big so he has to go into the bigger carrier....come to think of it, they pretty much all go into that big caRrier. (I need to get another one...they all go in that one and they all wind up having death sentences before they come home:( )
what size if your carrier?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:49 pm

The carrier is for cats, but it's the larger cat size, not one of the little ones. The big boys fit in there fine, and we can put several kittens, even the half grown ones, in there for transport.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 pm

i think the carrier we have is for dogs....maybe big enough to put a small jr or a small to mid sized doxie. its kinda tall and i think that's why the bigger cats don't mind it so much.
i've seen really cool back packs that are animal carriers...i'd love to have one of those but i think if i could haul Salem around in there i'd wind up with a backache!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Ace is a fortunate kitty to have you. I'm sure he will get used to the zoo. Carriers though... Sounds like a phobia. Is he ok loose in the car (without the car moving?) Gateway is really anxious in the carrier, but he will sit happily on the floor in the back of the car. I think he just doesn't like being confined.

Rescue Remedy is my best friend. I use it for horses and kitties. Good luck, gbste!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your mother...Like someone else said, Ace is no doubt grieving. Cats can sense when someone cares for them and can get somewhat past their grief...that's how I got my Jay Jay. Over the 7 yrs I've had him, he's only had problems with one cat in my zoo. I wish you much luck Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:34 pm

How is Ace doing? I can imagine he's confused and a bit frightened being in a strange place with all the strange-to-him furkids.

One way to maybe get him over his fear of the carrier is to put one in his room with the door off, a nice comfy towel inside (and maybe catnip sprinkled on that). Make it a non-threatening common sight. That's how we got Bijoux over his fear of them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Well, we brought Ace here this afternoon. Right now the kittens are having skitter time, and he has the computer/cat room to himself. The babies will have to eat their dinners in there, though, so we'll see how that goes. He complained loudly all the way over here, and for the first few minutes in the room, but he's hiding quietly now. cat
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Hope he settles in well.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:30 pm

here's hoping that he settles in well and in a week or so will be out and about with the rest of the kittes!
how did he do at feeding time?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Hoping for a quiet night and a good settle-in. I love you
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am

Ace was out of his hiding place and walking around the room this morning. He even looked interested in coming out of the room at one point, but I will wait until after school today for that step, if he's still interested.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 am

He might be, a cat's curiosity can work wonders on getting a cat out of hiding. Hope all goes smoothly with his intro to the other furkids.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 pm

He's getting along with the kittens who also use the room. He hisses at them a little, but you have to teach those youngsters to respect their elders!
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:05 pm

great to hear ace is getting along so well so fast! a few hisses here and there won't hurt anyone!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 pm

I think all older kitties hiss at kittens. Gotta tell them who's boss, right? Laughing Great to hear that Ace is progressing so well.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Ace is eating well. I checked on him a few minutes ago, and he was sitting with little Jerry, just hanging out. (We will be keeping Jerry. Our 18+ year old orange cat Ollie passed away a couple of weeks ago, and we don't want to be without an orange kitty.)
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 am

Sounds like Ace found a himself a new friend, and it's so good they have each other. Jerry sounds like a lil cutie. Glad to hear Ace is adjusting well and eating well. A few hisses are nothing to worry about, he's just letting those youngsters know who's who and who's in charge.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:39 pm

oh,so sorry to hear about Olllie. i'm glad you're keeping Jerry. maybe Jerry and Ace will teach each other a few things.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:28 pm

And hopefully only GOOD things. Twisted Evil
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down