is your kitty itchy??? (probably works for dogs as well)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

is your kitty itchy??? (probably works for dogs as well)

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 pm

interesting article/list of / info about skin conditions in cats.
i'm trying to find out just what is going on with salem's sides (he licks them a lot and licks the fur nearly off and leaves scabs...but i think the scabs might be from the licking and not from bumps)....this gives a good listing of various things that can causes skin problems with cats. i think a lot aRe the same with dogs. but there's one weird thing at the base of their tails i've never heard of.
short but interesting read....
http://www.catster.com/health-care/cat-skin-problems
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: is your kitty itchy??? (probably works for dogs as well)

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 pm

Petie had hot spots one year. He would lick and lick at his belly, and he got sores from all the licking. We used an organic liquid drop that seemed to help the itching. It was something one of the farmers had at the market, so I don't know what was in it other than goat milk and some herbs. I'm sure there is something out there to help with the itching. I think I'd avoid Benedryl. That can't be good for kitties.

I know I'm itchy. I got a case of chiggers and am scratching my poor feet off. I hate chiggers! Can kitties get those? I think indoor kitties would be safe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 pm

i'm thinking of taking the sleeping bag i have at the end of the bed off and putting something else there....i know when i changed out the blanket there last time and washed everything and dried it in a hot hot drier he seemed to get a little better.maybe i should try one of those poncho things...they're pretty soft. I just don't know what will be less itchy if that's his problem.

maybe i'll try some plain Vaseline....i keep forgetting about that. it can't hurt a kitty and it could help if he had any bit of a hairball on top of everything else;) Years ago salem had what appeared to be a wart on the top of his head...finally i just decided to put some vaseline on it..i think i put it on twice once a day for two days. then the 'wart' got soft and i pinched it and all this funky brown stuff came out.....if it helped with that it might help with his sides.

has anyone else used vaseline like that?
and i agree about benedryl..i'd only use that if a vet said it was okay. they give it to the dogs upstairs but i'd never try it on a cat.
(speaking of people medicine for critters...did ya know that tums can kill a dog (there's something in it that MIGHT, not always, but MIGHT kill a dog)but its okay to give them Pepto)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 pm

When I went to South America with some people, we were told to bring Vaseline specifically for chiggers. It worked like a charm. To bad it can't be used for the bottom of the feet!
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:24 pm

does it keep the chiggers away or does it just kill them when they're on you? (i'm not 100% on what a chigger is...i know its a bug that you get when you walk through grass and it bites. but is it another name for a tick? we called 'em chiggers back home in MI but when i moved away people started calling them ticks so i'm wondering if they're the same bug or not?).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Ticks are arachnids (related to spiders) and they bite to suck blood out of you. They latch on and get all icky as they eat. They do leave itchy bites, but nothing like chiggers. Chiggers are mites. They are insects that burrow into the skin and leave the itchiest bumps. They do live in tall grass and usually attack in late summer/early fall. They seem to be the scourge of the South. I swear... I never had chiggers before I moved to the country, but that's probably because grass in town is always mowed and probably treated with stuff to keep bugs away.

How are Salem's itchies?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:02 pm

The Vaseline killed them once the chiggers "were in". It didn't prevent them from latching on unfortunately...and I don't remember what the people down in Colombia suggested we use to prevent them beyond regular bug spray.
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum