what cha readin??

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: what cha readin??

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Not quite half way through The Taking......still don't know what's going on. but at least some interesting things just started happening. this is takihgn me longer to read cuz its complicated...hard to read while walking cuz i have to go back and reread paragraphs here and there.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Do y'all read Stephen King? I don't read horror at all, but his latest intrigues me, about a guy who goes back in time to try to prevent the assassination of JFK. The title is the date, 11/22/63. I have it on hold at the library. Anybody read it?

I also just got the next Susan Hill and (Bob, pay attention) Pratchett's first witches book, The Wyrd Sisters. That may have to wait, though, until I read the Hill.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Must be a new one, I haven't heard of that one yet. I've read a lot of Stephen King.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:49 pm

I have seen the Stephen King book, but haven't read it nor have the interest at this point. I don't know anything about it.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:55 pm

You may be too young to know, Fluff, but we old folks can tell you exactly how and when we heard Kennedy had been shot. It was a shocking tragedy that, IMO (and not mine alone), changed the course of our nation. The idea that one could go back and change those events resonates with me. I'm curious to see what King makes of it.

Reading the next Susan Hill today and so far it's as good as the first. I suppose you could call them psycho-thrillers in that bad people do bad things to innocent people, but you could also say they're good books with real character depth with a mystery thrown in. I'm giving Susan Hill

study study study
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:20 pm

What you said is interesting Suzzz, it's not only his death but Lincolns also.
What direction would this country have taken if they had not been killed. There is also the
death of Garfield to be considered.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm

With JFK assassination, I know very little and I do know it happen in Dallas, I think, in some sort of caravan.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:47 pm

oh i want to see the new king as well...hoping that someone at work will buy it (since she said she didn't want to read a book that long on her kindle...i think its nearly 10000 pgs...and she does tend to buy books instead of just getting them fromt he library)and will then pass it on to me. i still haven't read under the dome (that one i was reading when i was informed about 1.5yrs ago that i might not have a place to live and thereby put the book away and started parking away my life...its still on the shelf by the bed..holding up the alarm clock).

Fluff i''m kinda shocked that they don't teach about JFK in schools any more! it was a major turning point in US history after all. (not your fault..i'm blaming the no kid left behind which means they're not taught enough anymore). Did they teach anything about the bay of pigs? just wondering...cuz that was another huge JFK point.

i was a young toddler the day it happened....mom said i was taking a nap when the new came over the tv. i will say i remember watching the furneral parade (procession i guess is abetter word)and wondeing about the boots on the horse.....empty boots in the saddle stirrups i realize now....and know now why they are there. back then i just didn't know why they were stuck on the horses).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm

For me, grade school years were in the mid 80's through early 90's. Middle school and high school both in the 90's. I don't remember much from history covered in school, but can't say that Bay of Pigs or anything JFK. Another shocker is that I don't think Pearl Harbor was covered in school. If it was, it was briefly talked and the teacher went on. I was never interested in history as a kid and a lot of it had to do with not having anyone that made history fun to learn and having to take history to meet requirements set by the school.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Picked up the newest installment of the Black Stallion series. One of Walter Farley's sons is
continuing the line. Not recommending it. Really very bizarre. Farley towards the end had gotten
really very strange with the direction he had taken the series. Have ordered the movie from the library.
Netflix keeps telling me it unavailable.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm

i'm not big on history either....couldn't care less what came before the depression but maybe because i had older parents and hung around a lot of really old folks growing up...i heard so much about living trough the depression, WWII (my mom would have been drafted if she had been a guy....my aunt was in England through it all (rolling cigars!)and another aunt was in the canadian air force)....and then Korea (through my dad and uncles) and i grew up in houses where Kennedy was on the wall right next to one of those paintings of Jesus knocking on a wooden door (i still can't remember what that was about...got one where he was knocking at the UN for my mom years later but that made sense to me).

i'm only a few pages from half way through The Taking and its finally getting more of a story ...and creepy as hell! i have no idea where its going but if it were King it would be 1000 pages long and meaty as a pulled pork sandwich! i could see this as a movie cuz there are so many visuals that are just 'oo....what IS that????" in it.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:21 pm

almost finished with Bespelling Jane Austen
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Anyone here read actual Jane Austen? Heard today about a sequel (a mystery!) to Pride & Prejudice written by no less than the great P.D. James. Gotta get it!

http://books.usatoday.com/book/pd-james-death-comes-to-pemberley/r577534
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:20 pm

I heard about that a few weeks ago. I was thinking of getting it for a friend of mine for Christmas, She's a huge Jane Austen and PD James fan.
I've never read any of the actul Austen books, which is curious since I've always loved Regency romances. PD James is the latest in a long line of authors who have written sequels, etc to the Austen books.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:26 pm

lovekitties wrote:I heard about that a few weeks ago. I was thinking of getting it for a friend of mine for Christmas, She's a huge Jane Austen and PD James fan.

Sounds like the perfect gift!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm

finished bespelling and gave it to my friend last night.
I'm now reading a quartet of Christmas stories Making Spirits Bright. I'm really trying to get into the Christmas spirit.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 am

When I picked up some dvd's at the library today I also picked up a copy of A Christmas Carol.
This is a wonderful edition, marvalous(sp) illustrations, no forward explaining the story and symbolism
behind it. Just the novel as it was originally published.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:40 pm

oh i love the original christmas carol...its such a small little booik can stick in your pocket and read it in one night!
i'm less than 50 pages from the end of The Taking. i really want to finish it today so i can start on something new this week.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Read Equal Rites today (Pratchett's intro to Granny Weatherwax) and really enjoyed it! Wyrd Sisters next, then Maskerade. I do like the witches.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:52 pm

finished the taking and have been reading Cat in a Quicksilver something or other.....about 100 or so pages in. i have a Doctor Who book and a bunch of comics i need to read sometime soon!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Is that a Midnight Louis mystery. Right now I'm reading the King James Consispercy. It's
set in the reign of King James of course and is a murder mystery involving the King James
translation of the Bible.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Just finished reading the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Interesting, in the book Hyde not only changes in looks but also in size from the Dr.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:14 pm

read a few romances over the holidays and also a wonderful book called Saraah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I just realized there was a recent movie adaptation which I will have to see if they have a DVD on.
The book was very moving telling the dual stories of a girl caaught up in the Holocaust in France and the modern day journalist who is doing research for a story on the roundup of the Jews in Paris who were all sent to the concentration camps to be exterminated. While she is reseaching she finds out that a jewish family once lived in her Husbands apartment and becomes obsessed into finding out what happened to them
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Reading a book titled Just Tell Me Where It Hurts. Bunch of short stories of an animal vet that I picked up at the library book sale earlier this month.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:03 pm

i was goign to finish up the Midnight Louie i'm reading but i don't[ think its gonna happen. have over 200pages left to read...don'tthink i can read that much in a day and a half!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum