what cha readin??

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: what cha readin??

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:14 pm

jeanebellini wrote:crazy in alabama sounds familar but i've never read it and i'm pretty sure i've never seen the movie. ....does sound interesting!
this mystery i'm reading..it took til 1/4 of the way thorugh the book for somebody to get murdered and they haven't even found the body yet..esh! i like reading these Sneaky Pie books but man are they slow and full of too much stuff about each of the characters!

I love Rita Mae, but she does tend to preach a bit. She has a tendency to delve into characters, motivations and issues at the expense of the story. Personally, I think she's trying to figure out her own stuff and is writing it out. Nothing wrong with that; lots of writers do it. But I think she sometimes spends too much time at the podium or on her soapbox. Gets a bit tedious for those of us who just want to get on with the story!

study
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:31 pm

you hit it on the head....in this one there's a lady turning 100...she gives speech at the dinner in her honor and it reads like the writer is up on a soap box instead of the character herself.
i just finished reading a few pages where the lead character (Harry...the lady who owns the two cats and dogs) went into trader joes to get some honey. she came out with two bags of stuff which is something most people do cuz if you don't get into the store often you really want to load up:) but she said Trader Joe's was a fancy food store. (misconception...i felt the same way when i moved here..but if you really know the place you know its very very basic!).

welp, about 3/4 of the way through...want to have it finished before Thurs...want to take the books back to the library then.

OH! the same lady has a new series starting this fall that has a wire haired doxie in it:) i'm kinda looking forward to that;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 pm

If you haven't already, read some of Rita Mae's earlier stuff before she found a forum and started pontificating so bad. My favorites are Six of One and Southern Discomfort. No cute animals that I recall, but plenty of fun, gentle shocks, and great heart.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:45 pm

i don't know how far back i've read the Sneakie Pie Brown books...those are the ones i've read of hers. except the one i got from the sale shelf that was about the horses and fox hunting.
i'm going to finish up this book by the time i get off work tomorrow and take it and one other one back to the library. i need to not take any more books out though. i need to read some more books before NYCC comes around! i will probably wind up with a shelf or two of freebie books from there!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:36 pm

i should have written those books down cuz i was looking over her books today and trying to remember which ones you suggested.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Just got the first book in the Emily of New Moon series. Should be interesting.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 pm

I remember reading Emily of New Moon when I was in high school. I don't remember much of it though. I finally finished Throne of Jade last night.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:45 pm

i'm reading The Diamond Cat right now...about a woman who is cat sitting and finds a dead pigeon after a storm...the pigeon has a vial of diamonds on its leg. Its not the best book in the library....i'm not impressed by this author at all though she's written a LOT of books and seems to have a big following. (I"ll take a Joel Grey or Cat Who...or esp Midnight Louie over these books any day!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Got 50 pages read last night. I can see they're taking a chapter of the books and turning that into one episode of the tv show. The book goes a bit more in depth than the tv show, so more makes sense.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:10 pm

finished the Diamond Cat book...instead of going into reading the next one i'm reading the PUSH book that was made into Precious the movie. its short and rather large print with spaces....gonna be a fast read. then i just have to decide whether i want to go on and read the rest of the library books i took out (same author ...she's kinda getting on my nerves...these books would make nice short stories in an anthology but as books they just dragggggggggg out! i'm starting to think i'll read the first three and last three chapters or less and get the same effect as the whole book!). if i don't read the library books i 've got a short pile of books i want to read before NYCC in Oct.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Over halfway through now, this is the longest book I've read in ages! Over 300 pages of tiny print..........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:01 pm

finished Canapes for Kitties an hour or so ago and should start on another one when i get off here. I have three books to take back to the library tomorrow. (have to get things in order in case we get hit with high winds and rain this weekend...the books aRen't due til next week but the less i have to worry about the better).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Now going to start on the second book of the Emily series. Finished the first one last night.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:02 pm

i'm working on the fourth book by Marion Babson....can't remember which cat book this is. i wound up working some more hours today so i didn't take the books back i'd finished. someone else is taking them back for me which is fine..less temptation! I need to finish these and read a few more from my 'from NYCC two years ago' pile!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm reading the book of water by Marjorie B Kellogg, the second in the dragon Quartest series. it's another library cast off. I'm almost finished with it.
I've also been reading alot of fan fic, and discarding alot of it, part of my "purge"mode. A bonus while I was delvng through the piles of fan fic, I found a brand new VCR, still in the box, at the bottom of the pile!. I completely forgot I had it. (got it as a reward from one of the old cigarette upc programs. As my old vcr is broken it's a welcome find. since I have so many vcr tapes
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:03 pm

oh lk....i have some good vhs for you if you'd like them. good classics some were never even opened!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Wonderful find Lovekitties! And if you can get to the library while it's open you can rent a few movies too. Much better than tv since there's no commercials, scrunched credits, or screen clutter to contend with. Also, if you need to leave the room for anything like bathroom or snack breaks, you can pause it!

Got the first few chapters read so far on the latest book.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:01 pm

and vhs you can get for almost nothing at thift shops....some places don't even charge $1 any more..i'm suprised they're not 5/$1 like the paperbacks !
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Nearly halfway through.............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:45 pm

finished the book of water and read a couple kids books and romances over the long weekend, as well as some more fan fac.
Started Preston and Childs "Dance of Death'yesterday, I'm about 3/4 through
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Over the summer I finished off the Stieg Larsson Girl books, and last night I finally got around to finishing Salman Rushdie's The Moor's Last Sigh. Very different types of reading, but I really enjoyed them all.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm

how were those Girl books? never read them but some at work are trying to read them straight through.
i'm on my last Babson cat mystery book.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 pm

I really liked all three Girl books. My niece was home from college over the Labor Day break, and I gave her my set to read. I like to read books that come in series. I'm a really fast reader, so I like having a story that lasts.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:23 pm

did you read the Twilight books? cuz i hear the lady who wrote them is now writing a book for each of the vampires. (I still have to read beyond the first book!)
i like series too...but i think i can only read about 3 books in a series at a time...after that i tend to start getting bored and need to 'cleanse my pallet' then i can go back and read more:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Right now I'm reading Franklin and Winston. It's about the
relationship between the leaders during WWII. I started reading it
at my cousin. Very Happy His wife tried to send it home with me. I declined and
checked it out of the library. In fact she told me not to even think about
returning the book I borrowed two years ago.

Last edited by Sue Short on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: